Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bought a bamboo fly rod at a garage sale this summer. Sort of forgot all about it, and saw it today. I have know idea what it is, I don't think it is anything that great but the guy wanted $10.00 for it. I wasn't really interested in it but he had some tools I was interested in. He told me if I bought the tools I had in my hand already he would give me the rod. I told him I would met him halfway. So I got it for $5.00. If there are any of you that know Bamboo rods I'll take some pictures.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sorry I can't offer anything. My dad had one that was his pride and joy. He lost it below Holter Dam in about 1980.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pics are totally necessary in this instance, as well as maker's name, length, weight, number of rod sections, and any pertinent info written on the rod butt.

I've had a love affair with split cane rods for many years, and frankly I've been lax these last few years. But, I haven't forgotten what I learned. The problem with $10 yard sale bamboo fly rods is that 99 times out of 100 that's about what they're worth. There was a huge difference in quality between "hardware store" grade factory-made rods and handmade rods from the benches of noted craftsmen (but not always- exceptions to the rule abound). The result is there are a ship load of crummy rods out there and not all that many really good ones. All too often uninformed but well meaning gents think they have a rare treasure- such is the mystique surrounding split cane rods- when in actuality they have one of about 100,000 a maker made that may or may not have value solely as a mediocre fish-catching tool.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not an expert by any means, but as many details as Gnoahhh mentions and more. Some are worth thousands (Payne's/Powell's etc) and others exactly what you put out. If one can get to a larger city, hit a couple shops, and one might be able to find an authority. Similarly, some web inquiries in more fishing/rod building forums might also yield authoritative responses.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/30/19.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had two stolen from my home about 20 years ago by a friend of my son that I had allowed to stay in my basement.. of course by the time I found out his brother had sold them they were worth about $500.00 each...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hubert
I had two stolen from my home about 20 years ago by a friend of my son that I had allowed to stay in my basement.. of course by the time I found out his brother had sold them they were worth about $500.00 each...

Sounds like somebody needed an ass whipping worth about $1000!

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/31/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Pics are totally necessary in this instance, as well as maker's name, length, weight, number of rod sections, and any pertinent info written on the rod butt.

I've had a love affair with split cane rods for many years, and frankly I've been lax these last few years. But, I haven't forgotten what I learned. The problem with $10 yard sale bamboo fly rods is that 99 times out of 100 that's about what they're worth. There was a huge difference in quality between "hardware store" grade factory-made rods and handmade rods from the benches of noted craftsmen (but not always- exceptions to the rule abound). The result is there are a ship load of crummy rods out there and not all that many really good ones. All too often uninformed but well meaning gents think they have a rare treasure- such is the mystique surrounding split cane rods- when in actuality they have one of about 100,000 a maker made that may or may not have value solely as a mediocre fish-catching tool.

I was on the road all last week. I'll get what I can posted up here soon. I doubt it is anything special but am just curios as to what it is.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I couldn't find a model name on it but it is a Montague Rod. From what I googled they made a lot of rods! The Reel is a JC Higgins.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm no expert but going by the plain metal real seat and lack of model designation I suspect that it's one of their workmanlike rods. Gary is much more expert than me in them.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not the best of images, but looks to be a mass produced unit. Most of the really fine builders hand wound/labeled and signed their work. Also, work was precise enough that one could near cut himself on the edges. Would not view it as an investment. Go fish and have fun.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/08/20.

1Minute
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not bad hardware store rods. It would be worth a fair bit more than you paid except for one thing. It's a three piece rod of which the tip section was broken in half and the tiptop (top line guide) was reattached to the bottom half of the tip. That completely wrecks the rods "action", and completely wrecks its value. Those old bamboo three-piecers had equal length sections.

But, nothing beats a try but a failure: take it out and fish it. It might surprise you. I knew a guy who would purposely buy cheap split cane rods which typically have very soft slow actions, and then break pieces off the tips until he got it to the point where it presented a more "modern" stiffer faster action. Kind of a bizarre approach to a custom rod but he was fairly successful at it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Life hack for cleaning old cork rod handles that are blackened from sweat and fish slime: Soft Scrub bathroom cleanser.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks guys. I have blown $5 in worst ways! smile

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I knew a guy who would purposely buy cheap split cane rods which typically have very soft slow actions, and then break pieces off the tips until he got it to the point where it presented a more "modern" stiffer faster action. Kind of a bizarre approach to a custom rod but he was fairly successful at it.

I've trimmed many a graphite rod for tournament casting and have a decent feel for how it changes the action. I suspect most of his "success" was in the eye of the beholder. A child only a mother could love scenario laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by brydan
I knew a guy who would purposely buy cheap split cane rods which typically have very soft slow actions, and then break pieces off the tips until he got it to the point where it presented a more "modern" stiffer faster action. Kind of a bizarre approach to a custom rod but he was fairly successful at it.

I've trimmed many a graphite rod for tournament casting and have a decent feel for how it changes the action. I suspect most of his "success" was in the eye of the beholder. A child only a mother could love scenario laugh

Nicely put!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My uncle tied flies and would tune a soft bamboo fly rod by wrapping thread on the rod at selected spots to stiffen it. usually on the top section. he could also repair broken tips. he showed me how to do it. but I don't do it for anyone anymore as I am too old.. there are still people that can fix your poles like that if you want it done but they will need all the pieces that are broken off. or they will have to make a new section which may not suit you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hubert
My uncle tied flies and would tune a soft bamboo fly rod by wrapping thread on the rod at selected spots to stiffen it. usually on the top section. he could also repair broken tips. he showed me how to do it. but I don't do it for anyone anymore as I am too old.. there are still people that can fix your poles like that if you want it done but they will need all the pieces that are broken off. or they will have to make a new section which may not suit you.

I fixed the splintered extra tip of an Orvis Penn's Creek 5 weight I have using CA glue and some 7X tippet in a similar fashion. No, it does not cast exactly the same as the "unrepaired' tip but it's OK. I called Orvis to get it fixed and it was an 11 month wait and several hundred dollars.

I'll never sell the rod anyway. My wife gave it to me on a vacation to Penn's creek as a (planned) late anniversary gift.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Piggybacking on MCH's thread.

Many years have passed and I honestly can't say if it came to me via father or his father, but I too have an old bamboo rod. About 9.5', the 3 pieces measure a meter each. Zero markings. It's hexagonal in shape cept toward the tip. It is packaged with a wooden dowel that has grooves lengthwise along the exterior for the pieces to lay down in for protection. Aluminum reel seat with simple slide lock. Can't say forsure but it's medium large trout weigh. Very nicely done wrapping and finish. Golden orange and red wrapping with extra detail wrapping.

Mine is a three piece rod, however, there are two different tip sections with it. Four pieces total. One lighter than the other... Err one stiffer. The lighter one has some crown to it

Curious if this was ever in fashion to equip a rod with two tips for different conditions?

Second question, the Al male ferrel on the base piece needs reglued. Super glue? Or or better use some hot melt?

I think it will look good on a wall... I just bought a new 3wt rod and threatening to go use it someday when the stars align. Apparently I live in fly fishing paradise and will likely seek more advice later on but time is too short to matter much now...

Thanks in advance for any info.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3/2 (three sections, two tips) bamboo rods were the norm for decades.

A 9'6" rod is likely to be a 7-8 weight.

Pictures would help if you want to know what you really have. So would posting on the Classic Fly Rod forum (www.classicflyrodforum.com) in their "what's my rod worth" section.

Scott

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
3/2 (three sections, two tips) bamboo rods were the norm for decades.

A 9'6" rod is likely to be a 7-8 weight.

Pictures would help if you want to know what you really have. So would posting on the Classic Fly Rod forum (www.classicflyrodforum.com) in their "what's my rod worth" section.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

If'n I get pics, I'll post 'em.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 73 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.