Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Not a question of ethics, or recommendations but what is the largest bodied Game animal( not livestock) you have witnessed being taken? What was the chambering? Bullet?
Myself, it was a dry cow elk, a 22/250 ,a ttsx bullet directed behind the ear...tipped right over.
Curious to here any experiences out there!

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
200 lb (dressed) whitetail doe. 53 grain TSX. 70-75 yards. Through both shoulders (no bone). Ran about 30 yards. 9 twist barrel on a 700 .223 at ~3300 FPS. OK blood trail.

I have seen adult deer shot with .22 lr rifles and one pistol. All head shots. All went down where they stood.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elephant. One shot from a M-16. 5.56x45 ball to the brain; Bang-Flop-Twitch and done.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think we have a winner..........

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Elephant. One shot from a M-16. 5.56x45 ball to the brain; Bang-Flop-Twitch and done.

Crap...even me, the Stunt Shooter, can't compete with that! cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, there's bigger things out there than elephants and smaller cartridges. Don't give up or slight yourself......

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, there's bigger things out there than elephants and smaller cartridges. Don't give up or slight yourself......

well..I just bought a .17 Remington....so I now have goals to re-establish...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sold a speargun awhile back that was powered by .22 blanks, of the nail gun variety. Friggin' thing was awesome under water. Great Whites? Whales? One never knows what they can do until they try.

DD

PS: I think rhinos are scarier than ele, FWIW.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Yeah, but they're not as big...

Maybe I could start there with the .17...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno. Every man has to reach his own conclusions?

Back around '96 I had occasion to visit a rather large petting zoo that was in theory dedicated to preserving threatened species. I got to pet a giraffe or two, a tiger ( their hair ain't soft and comforting) and a few other oddities. I really bonded with the tiger cause he stole my wife's skirt. Ripped it off with a single swipe he did.

Anyway, in the course of the tour we rode around the compound in a brand new Escalade and in passing the rhino pen there emerged a white rhino that was every bit as big as the Escalade. He was not happy to see us, and stomped the ground with indignation several times. He was about 30' from us and his antics shook the vehicle rather profoundly. The wife (my Ex) screamed in horror. Or maybe her bare legs were just unbearably cold from the AC? Who knows? Anyway, that critter was HUGE. I felt threatened and asked the driver where my cage was.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Seems I read about a bull elephant that was killed with a 22LR in one of the Africa books. Maybe Hunter or Bell?
My biggest was deer with a 22. Head shots at fairly close range drops them although if shot placement isn't exact it could be ugly.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Capstick mentioned it too. But, he mentioned plenty of things that can be taken with a grain of salt, because there could have been some influence of alcohol involved while writing.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yeah, but they're not as big...

Maybe I could start there with the .17...

Let me know when you’re going to do it. I’ll take out a short term accidental death life insurance policy for Ingwe-wife’s protection. I reserve all video rights however. smile

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Johnny, you be careful with that stuff. There's a reason he's called Ingwe. Even Chuck Norris respects him.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Johnny, you be careful with that stuff. There's a reason he's called Ingwe. Even Chuck Norris respects him.

Well yeah, Chuck was taught to respect his Elders.

David

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Well yeah, Chuck was taught to respect his Elders.

David

You'll smoke a turd in hell for that....

Chuck never killed a pissed off leopard with a .38 special....tell him to call me when he does...well talk...

Last edited by ingwe; 01/10/20.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ingwe you have to give Canazes that one. Pretty damn funny!
GreggH

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

You'll smoke a turd in hell for that....

Chuck never killed a pissed off leopard with a .38 special....tell him to call me when he does...well talk...

I am not sure you have ever told us the whole story about the leopard and the old, rusty, Taurus 38. C’mon Ingwe, its a cold windy night here on the plains of Nebraska and we need to hear a good tale!!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Johnny, he doesn't do anything or go anywhere without Rommel by his side. Be careful. Chuck is terrified of Rommel.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
774 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 87 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.