Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking about rebarreling my Savage .257 Weatherby to a new 6.5 wildcat. I think the larger diameter will give me more knockdown power.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Don't forget about sectional density.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
you need to learn to crawl before you walk,a 30-06 will kill anything in north america to include big bears,read up on the caliber.you dont need an anti tank gun to kill animals unless you are just looking for the cool factor.out to 500 yrds ill put my 06 against any magnum for accuracy,its lso no slouch on energy.what ever you get please use common sense and get something you can handle.shooting is a great sport if you enjoy it

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is something with less recoil and kills deader'n a door nail better than an 06?

Everyday Hunter
B
B
Originally Posted by BagABuck
I must disagree. These are three round I know practically nothing about besides ballistics. I take all comments into consideration. From the comments I now know: The UM is a master's rifle, i'm not a master. The. 300 SAUM is effective but unavailable. And the .300 Win. Mag. is balanced, as in decent recoil and good accuracy. I could honestly say that from the comments I've learned that knockdown is not as important as accuracy, but still needs to be relevant(Although the reason is significantly more than that). I've also learned from what i've read that 7mm SMs and .270 SMs give me a unique gun with great results. Honestly if i were you i'de be more worried about me trying to get away from the crowd and changing my opinions from other people's opinions and facts too easily. At my age(now days) when you ask about one caliber, another one I've never heard of will come up. But in all rwality, you shoot a deer in the heart with a .223 it dies, same thing with a. 50, that to me proves accuracy is more important than knockdown no matter what. That shows me that if you put that gun in your shoulder alittle more, that could effect your shot, same with flinch. So I guess i'm saying, if I'm elk hunting with a. 270, and my friend has a .375 I could care less.

Kid , in about 20 years you're gonna realise how very little you actually know right now. And by the way there is a whole slew of old farts in this thread who didn't get their first rifle bought by Daddy. They actually worked and spent their own money for it , and some of them have spent a lifetime with rifles , some of those guys have done so as a vocation.

These are the people you're attempting to lecture to and play "expert" with , they've dispensed valid fact and good advice to you,which you have more or less rejected when it didn't agree with your preconceptions. This of course begs the question of " If you Know It All then why bothering asking any of us?"

I'll give ya my standard advice for wet behind the ears knowitalls. Go buy SOMETHING and learn to shoot and get back to us in a decade or so , go learn the lessons on your own that all these folks offered up for ya..........

IC B2

B
B
Originally Posted by Rubeus_Hagrid
BagABuck,

Just a couple thoughts because I was a ballistics hound as a youngster as well. Presently, I am infatuated with the .325 WSM for reasons that escape me at the moment. But, I don't really need one. Same for the 6.5 Swede, though that one I may really need.

As somebody said, though, "only accurate rifles are interesting." And that got me thinking about optics, which I hope you haven't left out of the equation.

I'm not an optics expert by any means, but I'd be in favor of getting a good rifle/cartridge combination that you can shoot all day at the range with an absolute primo scope.

I've a Iraq vet friend who owns a Class III manufacturing company. The firearm he has the most fun with is a customized, integrally-suppressed CZ bolt action in .22 lr with a mil-dot Nightforce scope on top. "See that leaf at 100 yards out on the lake?" Click, click, hits the leaf. Then he chooses another target, adjusts again, and hits it. This from the picnic table with a bipod.

I know you're not looking for a .22, but I'm thinking a nice traditional cartridge in the .270, .30, 7mm area (short action and/or mag if you like) in a good platform with an absolute "bomber" scope will let you shoot enough rounds to be lights out. You may not have the biggest ballistics on the block, but you'll be able to do more with what you do have.

Because it's not beating you to death, you'll get lots and lots of good practice, limiting flinches and bad habits. Because you reload, you'll have a wide variety of bullet and powder combinations to test out.

I'm not recommending a Nightforce or any other particular scope, but what I am recommending is get a really, really good one, and learn to use the combination. A nice rifle, with an even nicer scope. Us old farts have a saying (one of many), "it's not the wand, it's the magician."

Just my .02.

Good luck to you.

Kudos , they should make the above a damn "sticky". And yeah good glass makes the rifle , along with your corollary point as far as something you can shoot all day , the added factor of being something that one can AFFORD to shoot.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bluenote
... get back to us in a decade or so , go learn the lessons on your own that all these folks offered up for ya..........

Half a decade works I suppose.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
And after 7 years of thread on this, the winner is...……………………………… 30-06 for all the questions and points not yet asked. Was working 100+ years a go and only gets better by the year with better powders and bullets. It has shootability and that will never go away. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i would purchase only one of these 2 Cartridges 30-06 or a 300 Win.Mag. reason you can find ammo for either of these 2`s ammo in most places in the world. you can also find new brass very easy if you decide too reload, both are very accurate cartridges.as far as purchasing a new rifle maybe find a good used Sako ? Ruger ? Winchester with a claw and just have it rebarreled with a good brand barrel ? these are the only 2 brand barrels i would use anymore > Brux or Kreiger barrels. i bet doing this with either of these 2 brand barrels they will shoot as well or better than any custom rifle made.good luck,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 01/02/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BagABuck said fuuck it and moved on......

BagABuck Offline
Joined 11/25/12
Last Seen 01/16/13
Total Posts 75 (Member)
Posts Per Day 0.029

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes, that's right aalf we are now memorializing him with all the care and dedication we'd give another member's cat if it got run over.. by a car. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a 300 Savage, 308, 30-06, 300 WSM, 300 H&H, 300 Win mag, 300 Weatherby. If I had to pick one, I’d go 30-06. I kills as well as my cannons. If I had to pick a magnum, 300 Win mag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was going to comment on this thread many years ago, I held fast with my typing.

What I would have told this young man: Get yourself a 270 WCF commonly known as a 30-06 improved.

There's prolly only a few on this site who knows about the 30-06 Imp.

No, I didn't mean a 270-AI.

Hey, happy new years!!!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Dead cat bounce?

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 300 win mag and 9.3x62 in the safe when I go elk hunting.Instead I pick up the tikka 06 and I’ll take any elk with in 500 yards. Shot placement over displacement.
If I really wanted to burn all that powder of RUM, then I’d step to 338 RUM to get some real “knock down power”

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You can’t beat an 06! Lots of power with little recoil.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I read all 14 pages and learned something I didn't know before. Who would have thought a 300 mag wasn't capable of killing a bear.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yes, that's right aalf we are now memorializing him with all the care and dedication we'd give another member's cat if it got run over.. by a car. MB

Cat hit by a car- sounds like a good description of knockdown power.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Cat hit by a car- sounds like a good description of knockdown power.

I hit a twenty-seven pound turkey while traveling at fifty-five miles per hour. I don't know how many foot/pounds of energy that turkey had but it sure messed up the grill on my pickup.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We were all young, dumb and full of ....now I just stick with the olé reliable. I find myself hunting with a .243 mostly, and to think 40 years ago I called it a squirrel gun.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.