Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
2 years ago I saw a Browning Medallion X-Bolt on GB for a fair price.
Six months later it was still there so on a whim I bought it.
Ordered some Hornady 180 IB from Midway and went to the range with iron sights.
First two shots at 25 yards with irons were touching. That got me excited to buy a scope
Months went by…
Bought a ZX5 off of Eurooptics for a steal, and X-Bolt 30mm rings from Midway
Finally got it to the range yesterday.
At 100 yards the first shot was not even on paper!!! Pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel to see paper and then looked at the crosshairs of the scope… I guessed the first shot was at least 15” low and probably 6” wide right…
Made some ginormous click adjustments to hit paper…
2nd shot was 4” high and 3” left.
16 clicks down and 12 clicks right and shot #3 was right where I wanted it, 1.75” above POA
Shots 4 and 5 along with #3 made a 1” group… looking good so far…
then things got weird
#6 was low opening the group to 1.5”
#7 and #8 were wide right opening the group to 2.25”
Changed targets and went to the Federal 180 TBT ammo
Shot #1 was above POA by 5.5”; shots 2 and 3 came back down to 2.75” over POA in a .75” two shot cluster.
Dang
Changed targets and went back to the Hornady IB and a three shot group went into .35” but clustered only .75” above POA. Sweet but WTFO?
Changed targets and went back to the 180 TBT and a three shot group went into a 1” group and 3” above POA
MY one hour of range time was over so I packed up and went home to ponder the weirdness…
It was then that I saw the skid marks on the scope body… the scope had been moving forward under recoil… it had moved to the point where it could no longer slide any further.
Talk about feeling like a dumb@$$!!!
I am guessing the .35” group with the 180 IB was either a fluke or a sign of great things to come once I get the scope properly battened down to not move under recoil.
I love the 300 H&H… the recoil is more of an abrupt push than a hard punch. Or course this rifle setup probably weighs 9 lb…

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Did you degrease the inside of the rings?

No matter the correct torque, oil from manufacturing can/will allow the scope to slip........I know this........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

No matter the correct torque, oil from manufacturing can/will allow the scope to slip........I know this........

as will excessive lapping.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
did not do any degreasing, or lapping... this is my first experience with a "heavy" scope and 30mm rings... my other scopes are all 1" tubes and probably don't weigh more than 16 oz... never had one move...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never thought about how a heavy scope could be affected by recoil compared to a lighter one! I recently bought a torque screwdriver for fine tuning action bolts on 22 rifles but may come in more handy than I thought. What torque settings do you guys use on scope mounts?

Wac em and stack em
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

That is a very good point

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mad_okie
I never thought about how a heavy scope could be affected by recoil compared to a lighter one! I recently bought a torque screwdriver for fine tuning action bolts on 22 rifles but may come in more handy than I thought. What torque settings do you guys use on scope mounts?

Most manufacturers publish torque specs.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
ordered up a digital torque wrench and another box of Hornady 180 IB...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TQ Wrench means ZERO. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Exactly which base and rings? Hint.

It's ALL about ring spacing and surface area of same.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint.............

No it isn't "all". Fuggin Wbys are real touchy about exactly the right torque on each screw to get the receiver to bend just right. I have flat bedded a couple to correct this exact problem, and it worked both times. Hint.

Personally, I would never buy a Wby for this exact reason, and a few others (over-hyped, over heavy, over priced, and some are over flashy.)

But that's just me. Old Roy saw a lot of gimmicky gun folk coming...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

Hint.............

No it isn't "all". Fuggin Wbys are real touchy about exactly the right torque on each screw to get the receiver to bend just right. I have flat bedded a couple to correct this exact problem, and it worked both times. Hint.

Personally, I would never buy a Wby for this exact reason, and a few others (over-hyped, over heavy, over priced, and some are over flashy.)

But that's just me. Old Roy saw a lot of gimmicky gun folk coming...... smile

Fhuqking EPIC Stupidity! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Please cite the Weatherby receiver that "bent" with your mounts and the exact scope which facilitated same. Then reflect upon how an exact TQ Value mitigated same,by "unbending" said receiver. Hint. LAUGHING!

Folks who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,are ALWAYS going to be better served by asking questions...rather than giving fhuqking "answers". Hint.

I'm ASSUREDLY no Weatherby Rifle Fan(other than twin lugged Sakos of yore and Howas from inception),but David Copperfield couldn't "bend" a fhuqking receiver with (4) 6-48's and a scope. HINT.

Bless your heart for trying and PLEASE "tell" me more.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weren't my intent to spook the hole and pardon Facts being soooooo very disconcerting. It's never been difficult to savvy,who shoots...and who don't. Hint. Congratulations?!?

1000 words on a few I got,these past few weeks. The astute will savvy ring spacing and surface area,in conjunction. Hint.

Bet it don't/can't slip. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Was REALLY looking forward to some more Bent Receiver Delusions,fueled by Droolers doing their absolute fhuqking BEST. Hint.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!...................

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Well that was enlightening. I ordered a digital torque wrench from Midway and set the ring screws to 17 in-lb. My "farmer tight" guessing by feel was no more than 7 or 8 in-lb.. some not even 5. No wonder the scope was sliding under recoil...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Weren't my intent to spook the hole and pardon Facts being soooooo very disconcerting. It's never been difficult to savvy,who shoots...and who don't. Hint. Congratulations?!?

1000 words on a few I got,these past few weeks. The astute will savvy ring spacing and surface area,in conjunction. Hint.

Was REALLY looking forward to some more Bent Receiver Delusions,fueled by Droolers doing their absolute fhuqking BEST. Hint.

Bless your hearts.

Whats the point of the tape on the scopes?

You can lead a horse...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Musicianized

Bless your hearts.

style points!

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dogger
Well that was enlightening. I ordered a digital torque wrench from Midway and set the ring screws to 17 in-lb. My "farmer tight" guessing by feel was no more than 7 or 8 in-lb.. some not even 5. No wonder the scope was sliding under recoil...

what kind of wrench did you use originally again , sir?

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 01/27/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
screwdriver with appropriate bit and cycle thru all the screws four times: tighten till loose tight, tighten til tight, then a quarter turn more... then a quarter turn more... found out this only gets me to 5 to 8 in-lbs... surprised me. from now on i will roll with the digital torque wrench on all screws on a rifle...

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

That's what keeps the scopes from slipping under recoil!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

To help keep the scope lens covers on.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogger
screwdriver with appropriate bit and cycle thru all the screws four times: tighten till loose tight, tighten til tight, then a quarter turn more... then a quarter turn more... found out this only gets me to 5 to 8 in-lbs... surprised me. from now on i will roll with the digital torque wrench on all screws on a rifle...

Hell, that ain't even Ant Farmer tight!

I go between 15-20 pounds on most cap screws. No slippage so far up to .30/06, even with 20-22oz scopes. Base screws vary, according to screw size, number etc. Ruger dovetails, about 35. May not be "correct", but what works works.

Stick's "horn" rings have the nice inserts and are wide. Much as it pains me to say, he's right about those. Heavy buggers, but they hold, and come in a $10 box.

I use 91% isopropyl alcohol on screws and inside rings to degrease.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/28/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.