Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
If you have the correct equipment which involves expenditure of $$$$$$....that plus LOTS OF TRIGGER TIME will take you where you wish to go!!

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Things start to come together with spent primers and pretty quickly from my experience.

BP-B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I see vertical from inconsistent loading of the rest than anything else. It seems to be especially prevalent with injection molded stocks that will flex to much at the wrist. Second aspect is to check the float on your barrel by putting a small ball of clay between the stock and the barrel. The clay compresses down on the shot and will quickly tell you if there is enough clearance for your stock. I shoot from the ground with a bipod and rear sandbag for both competition, load testing and most of my shots on the field.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i did not read all the replies and i am sure all will help you. here`s another way to learn shooting with a bi-pod and its very fun too ! go shoot prairie dogs this summer maybe even buy a 223 with a good scope on rifle and put that swivel bi-pod on it. you will learn distance shooting at these little prairie dogs ,bring knee pads and elbow pads too save`s on the skin. good luck,Pete53 bring plenty ammo with ! GRIN

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
If you have the correct equipment which involves expenditure of $$$$$$....that plus LOTS OF TRIGGER TIME will take you where you wish to go!!

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Things start to come together with spent primers and pretty quickly from my experience.

PLUS......keep an ACTIVE DATA BOOK!! Write it down cuz you ain't gonna remember it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by horse1
Assuming you 1, have a duplex reticle. 2. have a ballistics table run

1. With your 3.5-10 Leupold on 10X, the distance from the center cross to the point where the fine/bold meet is 5.4MOA.

2. With a ballistics table run on your load, You can use that known and fixed 5.4MOA number to slide windage as necessary and even for a quick holdover if you're not dialing elevation. Quick and dirty rule of thumb, assuming a 200yds zero, the duplex intersection @ 6 O-Clock when on 10X is pretty close to dead on @ 400yds.

Would it be true then, that at 5x zoom, the vertical post would represent 2.7 MOA? Just trying to figure out different ranging options.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, it’d be 10.8 MOA on 5x.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I prefer to find a field expediant rest, rather than relying on 'the three basic field positions', or better yet, carry your own. Sometimes even a bipod. By the way, don't those f-class boys use a funky bipod? WTF are THEY exempt from your 'criticism'?..... And what does a diploma from that holland guy, do to exempt themselves?

I agree. For shooting longer range a guy that knows what hes doing is going to use his pack or other suitable rest, not shooting off hand or sitting etc. Off a pack, a rifle that shoots 1 moa at 100 yards, should still shoot moa at any distance. If its shooting 2 moa at 300, its shooter error, poor load, bullet or parallax. I'd be getting that figured out well before the hunt starts. JMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but a 3-shot group that measures 0.75" at 100 yards doesn't necessarily equal a .75 MOA rifle.

You can shoot successive 3-shot groups and one might be 0.75" and the next may be 1.5" with zero effects from the wind, parallax, or whatever, just inherent variability.

In other words, don't read too much into a comparison of two three-shot groups.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but a 3-shot group that measures 0.75" at 100 yards doesn't necessarily equal a .75 MOA rifle.

You can shoot successive 3-shot groups and one might be 0.75" and the next may be 1.5" with zero effects from the wind, parallax, or whatever, just inherent variability.

Thats a given, but good point. Some may not know that here? One reason I shoot 10 shot groups. When I talk about a sub moa or moa rifle, its a rifle that averages that with 10 shot groups. You also have a better idea of where that rifles true zero is as well. As has been discussed, in other threads, 3 shot groups are damn near worthless when wanting to know the rifles true capability.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Thats a given, but good point. Some may not know that here? One reason I shoot 10 shot groups. When I talk about a sub moa or moa rifle, its a rifle that averages that with 10 shot groups. You also have a better idea of where that rifles true zero is as well. As has been discussed, in other threads, 3 shot groups are damn near worthless when wanting to know the rifles true capability.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.