Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by SU35
8 oz isn't going to make a difference.

A mountain or backpack hunter can tell the difference.

Fantastic scopes though!

As someone who backpack hunts the mountains and foothills of Alberta almost exclusively, I agree. I know my rifle is heavier w/ the LRHS on top, vs my old 6x36. I'm a fairly extreme ounce counter in almost every area of my gear, but some weight is still worth carrying IMO. I've cut weight in almost every area of gear over the years, but went back and added weight in sleep system & rifle optics. The few extra ounces of my LRHS are well worth it, for the massive increase in repeatability, durability and precision. IME.

+1

Years ago I decided that a reliable scope was the last thing I wanted to compromise on because of a few ounces. My rifle/scope is the one piece of gear that must work in order for me to be successful. I have suffered through cold nights when my sleep system was a little skimpy in an effort to save weight, I have used sub-optimal optics because of budget restrictions, and I could probably even get the meat off the animal somehow if I lost my knife down a crevice. But I can't come home with a ram or a bull if my rifle/scope doesn't work right. The idea of a botched shot and lost opportunity because my scope lost zero is unacceptable to me. After investing so much time, money, and energy to get an opportunity at a ram or a big bull in the back country, as much as possible I'm going to mitigate the risk of my scope not hitting where it should when the moment of truth comes. I'll leave a Snickers bar at home or carry a lighter rifle before I'll save a couple of ounces on my scope by reducing reliability.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You’re not the first guy to tell me that, and you wouldn’t be the first to send one back. wink

In ideal lighting conditions the image in the DMRII is great, but in mirage or anything less than perfect conditions, it’s like looking through a fish bowl full of water. The LRTS and even the $299 SWFA Classics do much better in poor lighting conditions. If the image works for you, you will be very happy because everything else about the scope is awesome. The DMRII Pro has all the same awesome features as the DMRII, but handles poor lighting conditions significantly better.

Hopefully you are happy with the DMRII! Let us know what you think after you have some use on it.

Funny that you mention the SWFA Classics. After getting the 3-12x LRTS I was thinking that I'd just as soon use the 10x MQ at 1/3 the price, but I feel very comfortable with the Classics and their limitations. The lower image quality, 5 mil/rev, and lack of zero stop don't bother me.

My buddy, however, struggles with the 10x MQ. He's tried several different rifles with that model and has a hard time using it. His vision is a not great, but does well with other low cost scopes.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/21/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Missed my LRHS delivery today, was up painting the 500 yard gong, saw mail lady pull up, then leave, came down in awhile to find I needed to sign for the GD package! mad will go to town tomorrow and pick it up at the PO!

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Missed my LRHS delivery today, was up painting the 500 yard gong, saw mail lady pull up, then leave, came down in awhile to find I needed to sign for the GD package! mad will go to town tomorrow and pick it up at the PO!

Same here. I have to go to the PO to pick them up tomorrow.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Same here. I have to go to the PO to pick them up tomorrow.

Yep, I called the PO 30 minutes ago, he said they'll keep it there and open at 8:30, i'll call the old farmer up the road, may as well pick up a couple fresh gallons of raw cows milk on the way back, so all is not lost.

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
What a nice little scope, very clear and sharp, 12X will be plenty for 700 yard coyote or pig punching.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang. I guess I'm going to have to return one. It doesn't match the cerakote and makes my 223AI look so ugly with that pretty stock and all. LOL.

Deal of the century!!! Thanks, Doug!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by SU35
8 oz isn't going to make a difference.

A mountain or backpack hunter can tell the difference.

Fantastic scopes though!

As someone who backpack hunts the mountains and foothills of Alberta almost exclusively, I agree. I know my rifle is heavier w/ the LRHS on top, vs my old 6x36. I'm a fairly extreme ounce counter in almost every area of my gear, but some weight is still worth carrying IMO. I've cut weight in almost every area of gear over the years, but went back and added weight in sleep system & rifle optics. The few extra ounces of my LRHS are well worth it, for the massive increase in repeatability, durability and precision. IME.

+1

Years ago I decided that a reliable scope was the last thing I wanted to compromise on because of a few ounces. My rifle/scope is the one piece of gear that must work in order for me to be successful. I have suffered through cold nights when my sleep system was a little skimpy in an effort to save weight, I have used sub-optimal optics because of budget restrictions, and I could probably even get the meat off the animal somehow if I lost my knife down a crevice. But I can't come home with a ram or a bull if my rifle/scope doesn't work right. The idea of a botched shot and lost opportunity because my scope lost zero is unacceptable to me. After investing so much time, money, and energy to get an opportunity at a ram or a big bull in the back country, as much as possible I'm going to mitigate the risk of my scope not hitting where it should when the moment of truth comes. I'll leave a Snickers bar at home or carry a lighter rifle before I'll save a couple of ounces on my scope by reducing reliability.

Thanks you guys for summarizing what it took me many years and mucho $$$ and a ton of frustration to learn.

Once you learn to whom you should actually pay attention this board becomes a goldminegrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
257', what is the top stock? like the short foreend.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dang. I guess I'm going to have to return one. It doesn't match the cerakote and makes my 223AI look so ugly with that pretty stock and all. LOL.

What's your opinion so far?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
257', what is the top stock? like the short foreend.....

Yes sir....I love them. EH4. Shorter forend, but enough meat for varmint weight. I think it's basically a EH2 with a shorter forend. My 5R has a 20" barrel, so it's perfect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington280

I like them. Had a LRHS and liked it, too. I may order another before they run out.

ETA: Sorry - not very technical. Adjustments are positive. I like the big knobs. The windage knob locks when you push it in. Pull it out to adjust. Easy to get behind. Very clear Reticle is great as far as I'm concerned. Take it down to 4x, and it should be good for first and last light - similar to a duplex. Includes a sunshade and those crappy bikini caps that Bushnell has made for years. LOL.

Last edited by 257heaven; 01/22/20.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Remington280

I like them. Had a LRHS and liked it, too. I may order another before they run out.

ETA: Sorry - not very technical. Adjustments are positive. I like the big knobs. The windage knob locks when you push it in. Pull it out to adjust. Easy to get behind. Very clear Reticle is great as far as I'm concerned. Take it down to 4x, and it should be good for first and last light - similar to a duplex. Includes a sunshade and those crappy bikini caps that Bushnell has made for years. LOL.

Do you have a picture of the reticle on 4x? Thank you

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, going to run a black rail and rings too, my stock will match the scope near perfectly, save the black speckles.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got mine today as well. Had to go pick it up at post office which is fine as I had a Black Friday scope turn up missing from being left on porch. Quality piece of glass it seems. Wish I could of bought several of them they might replace all my Leupolds if I could of.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Got mine today as well. Had to go pick it up at post office which is fine as I had a Black Friday scope turn up missing from being left on porch. Quality piece of glass it seems. Wish I could of bought several of them they might replace all my Leupolds if I could of.

Good for you Charles, hope you got some satisfaction out of the one that was stolen, I'm going to mount mine up as soon as Mr. Feldkamp finishes my 6.5 Swede build.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Plus, I think I'm going to take that little pincher throw lever off before I knock it off on something.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I could of bought several of them they might replace all my Leupolds

That's exactly what I did....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plus, I think I'm going to take that little pincher throw lever off before I knock it off on something.

Try it first. They kinda grow on a feller....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good for you Charles, hope you got some satisfaction out of the one that was stolen, I'm going to mount mine up as soon as Mr. Feldkamp finishes my 6.5 Swede build.

SWFA took care of me on that one. I don't think it got stolen off the porch I think they left it at the wrong house as other things got left on the porch that day but weren't taken. I have had a issue the last 6 months with stuff being delivered to the wrong place. Somewhere I have a neighbor that is getting a lot of nice stuff. When Amazon went to self delivery I had to have them deliver to my Moms house in town as they could never find my house even when I gave them the GPS Coordinates.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

133 members (264mag, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 25 invisible), 1,183 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,473
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.