Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
8 oz isn't going to make a difference.

A mountain or backpack hunter can tell the difference.

Fantastic scopes though!

As someone who backpack hunts the mountains and foothills of Alberta almost exclusively, I agree. I know my rifle is heavier w/ the LRHS on top, vs my old 6x36. I'm a fairly extreme ounce counter in almost every area of my gear, but some weight is still worth carrying IMO. I've cut weight in almost every area of gear over the years, but went back and added weight in sleep system & rifle optics. The few extra ounces of my LRHS are well worth it, for the massive increase in repeatability, durability and precision. IME.

Last edited by Wrongside; 01/20/20.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I found the slip in my 4-18X box for 1100 bucks. Still a good deal on a great scope, but I wish I got it at the latest prices.
I am thinking of a 3-12 for an AR15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by 257heaven
[ I think there's better and lighter 30mm scopes for that application.

I don't......

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

You go guy!!!! Why the Talley Lightweights?? LOL.

Actually. I’m guessing a SWFA 3-9x42 or a Nightforce 2.5-10 with Pic rings and rail (my typical setup) would not weigh much different that a LRHS and Talleys.

I tried the LRHS on a couple of Montanas and had no problem with them. But decided to downgrade at the time to SWFA.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasTBag
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

The 3-12x is very easy to get behind, IME. The DMRII is a step in the wrong direction, if you ask me.

Hey Jordan, why do you think that?

Aside from the obvious gain in weight and bulk with a 34 mm tube and 50 mm objective (which is worth it in some applications, but not generally on a hunting rifle, IMO), the DMRII is optically inferior. I’m not much of an optics snob, but the few DMRII scopes that I have owned were borderline unuseable in anything but excellent atmospheric/optical conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I thought I read somewhere the 3-12x is only 24 oz....the NF 3-10x I had was 21.2 oz

Mine have been a little bit either side of 24oz.

Yup, right around 25 is what I usually see.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 3-12x is very easy to get behind, IME. The DMRII is a step in the wrong direction, if you ask me.

Thanks for the info Jordan.

I've never used a DMR II (yet!), so I don't know about the image quality differences, but everyone that I have communicated with regarding the LRTS and DMR II have stated that the DMR II has a better eyebox and is easier to get behind. I think the 3-12x LRTS is a nice scope, but am looking for something a bit better in terms of eyebox. The 4.5-18x isn't my cup of tea either, but the one that I had possessed a really nice image for the price.

The form factor and weight of the DMR II is not a concern for me. Eyebox was the main question.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/20/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have one on the way, how bad is the eyebox?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
how bad is the eyebox?

It's not.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
how bad is the eyebox?

It's not.

Gotcha.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mine lives on 12x. Might as well be a fixed 12. I hunt a lot of open country.

I never have any problems getting a perfect picture. IMO, they are very easy to get behind.

I don't think there is a better scope for 2X the money.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Remington280
I have one on the way, how bad is the eyebox?

Definitely usable. It's not horrible by any means, so don't get alarmed. The exit pupil should give you a rough idea.

I was probably expecting an unrealistic improvement of the 12x version over the 18x version. However, I am shooting some contorted positions and the LRTS scopes just don't seem to agree with me. More annoyance than lack of functionality. I've been communicating with some other shooters who feel the same way. Both .mil and comp shooters (asking them for opinions on the DMR II). But, do your own evaluation, as this may not be relevant to you. And, this really boils down to nitpicking and personal preference.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/20/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the 3-12x and 4.5-18 and I don't find the eyebox to be a problem at all, at any power. Optics are very, very good as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Thanks for the info Jordan.

I've never used a DMR II (yet!), so I don't know about the image quality differences, but everyone that I have communicated with regarding the LRTS and DMR II have stated that the DMR II has a better eyebox and is easier to get behind. I think the 3-12x LRTS is a nice scope, but am looking for something a bit better in terms of eyebox. The 4.5-18x isn't my cup of tea either, but the one that I had possessed a really nice image for the price.

The form factor and weight of the DMR II is not a concern for me. Eyebox was the main question.

Jason

I have the DMRII Pro on my primary match rifle, and have owned a few regular DMRII. The eyebox is very agreeable, but so is the EB on the LRTS/LRHS 3-12x, IMO. Both are so easy to work with that I haven't really noticed much of a difference between the two scopes, WRT EB, though the DMRII is slightly easier to get behind. But the optical difference is fairly remarkable in favour of the 3-12x. I've shot PRS-style matches with both, and I would take the DMRII Pro, then the LRTS 3-12x, with the DMRII non-Pro in third place, if I had to choose between the three for competition.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Aside from the obvious gain in weight and bulk with a 34 mm tube and 50 mm objective (which is worth it in some applications, but not generally on a hunting rifle, IMO), the DMRII is optically inferior. I’m not much of an optics snob, but the few DMRII scopes that I have owned were borderline unuseable in anything but excellent atmospheric/optical conditions.

Thanks, based on your later posts I assume you are talking about the non-pro?

I picked up this deal for PRS, it doesn’t say pro in the title but the images are of the DMR Pro II so fingers crosses that’s what will be delivered.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/bushn...9e47e6b5?variation=2043878&query=Dmr

Last edited by TexasTBag; 01/21/20.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have the DMRII Pro on my primary match rifle, and have owned a few regular DMRII. The eyebox is very agreeable, but so is the EB on the LRTS/LRHS 3-12x, IMO. Both are so easy to work with that I haven't really noticed much of a difference between the two scopes, WRT EB, though the DMRII is slightly easier to get behind. But the optical difference is fairly remarkable in favour of the 3-12x. I've shot PRS-style matches with both, and I would take the DMRII Pro, then the LRTS 3-12x, with the DMRII non-Pro in third place, if I had to choose between the three for competition.

Thanks for the additional information Jordan. I'm going to give the DMR II a whirl anyway, to see if it's good enough for my needs in terms of image. If not, I'll send it back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I picked up this deal for PRS, it doesn’t say pro in the title but the images are of the DMR Pro II so fingers crosses that’s what will be delivered.

I didn't think that the PRO was available with illumination?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That’s correct. I’m careful to specify if I’m talking about the Pro model, because there is quite a difference between the two.

The Pro model doesn’t have an illumination option, so the scope in that link is certainly the non-Pro model.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Thanks for the additional information Jordan. I'm going to give the DMR II a whirl anyway, to see if it's good enough for my needs in terms of image. If not, I'll send it back.

You’re not the first guy to tell me that, and you wouldn’t be the first to send one back. wink

In ideal lighting conditions the image in the DMRII is great, but in mirage or anything less than perfect conditions, it’s like looking through a fish bowl full of water. The LRTS and even the $299 SWFA Classics do much better in poor lighting conditions. If the image works for you, you will be very happy because everything else about the scope is awesome. The DMRII Pro has all the same awesome features as the DMRII, but handles poor lighting conditions significantly better.

Hopefully you are happy with the DMRII! Let us know what you think after you have some use on it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks!

Well that package is going back when I get it. I just looked at the picture when I ordered and assumed it was the pro, I didn’t know the pro didn’t come with illumination. I’m sure the photo was a simple mistake on their end.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

B
B
I agree, 90% of my hunts are backpack hunts and use ultralight gear but I'm don't using scopes that don't function correctly, I'll save weight elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Wrongside
8 oz isn't going to make a difference.

A mountain or backpack hunter can tell the difference.

Fantastic scopes though!

As someone who backpack hunts the mountains and foothills of Alberta almost exclusively, I agree. I know my rifle is heavier w/ the LRHS on top, vs my old 6x36. I'm a fairly extreme ounce counter in almost every area of my gear, but some weight is still worth carrying IMO. I've cut weight in almost every area of gear over the years, but went back and added weight in sleep system & rifle optics. The few extra ounces of my LRHS are well worth it, for the massive increase in repeatability, durability and precision. IME.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.