Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by huntsman22
bigwhooper, yeah, I'm well past having to crawl into an unheated tent..... give me stand up room and a woodstove.

I’m there myself. No heat source to get dry?..hard pass.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joshf303

Maybe I’ve been missing it Brad, but what Kifaru tent are you referring to that offers an external pole system?

No, you’re not missing anything! I misspoke, meant Kuiu.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just got in a Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL3 for my 2020 season yesterday. Really like the dual doors, dual large vestibules, and weighs just under 3 lbs all up with all the stuff sacks and stakes. Semi free standing, which won't be an issue where we hunt.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Big SkyChinook, 4-season, 2 person tent with two doors and two vestibules, weighs just over 4#. Impressive!

Who owns and has actually used one? Please comment. How about a review.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't own one, but the weight looks good for one person and all the gear.

Liking the vestibule design. Reminds me of the MH sniper/spotter tent.

Close to $800 with the options/accessories, though.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

C
cdg Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
@KC: I used a Big Sky Revolution 1P (which the Chinook is based off) w/ both inner tent options (mesh and breathable fabric) for years in the Sierra and Olympics.
The head end and foot and end walls seem to be more vertical than other like design tents which make more of the floor square footage useful. The attention to detail is superb & it's incredibly easy to set up with a good taut pitch. Both vestibules provide great weather protection and storage and I never experienced any condensation.
The Chinook builds of the Revolution design adding an additional crossing pole for 4 season use (can leave behind during 3 season) and your choice of 3 season, 3+ season, or 4 season poles. In all honestly I used the Revolution in the winter in the Olympics and it did really well with wind (using the breathable fabric inner) and light snow loads so unless expecting the worst case conditions and heavy snow loads I'd probably opt for the Chinook with either the 3 season poles or 3+ season poles and breathable fabric inner.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cdg:

Thanks for the info. My current KUIU Storm Start 2P weighs 5 1/2#. Now I have to decide if I want to pay $600 to save 1 1/2#.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by joshf303
Originally Posted by addicted
Currently I’m running a Luxe Lightweight TeePee with 1.5 person inner
Dry weight for the system is roughly 2.2 pounds. Since near freezing condensation builds up inside and can drip.

Planning a later season hunt next year with possible snow.

Looking for the lightest, toughest 4 season 2 person tent. Can be a one person, but I like room for my gear etc. to stay dry.

Thanks

Any stove option in the Luxe you have now?

Not the version I have, I would need to upgrade to a different style

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve always paid close attention to what Brad, KC, Mt. Warden and Tanner have had to say about small tent options in the high country. I’ve had BA, MSR, REI and used a Nemo Hornet this year for 7 days at 12k’ in CO 2cnd season.

I agree with the statement that a bomber 4 season tent is probably more than a man needs 90% of the time.

I’m also with Hunts and IDDave on the comforts of heat and headroom with a stoved teepee. Recently jumped on a SO Cimarron with a titanium stove and looking forward to using it this year. Hope to get it out the next month or so on a couple fishing/hunting trips

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not looked recently, but the high end Everest quality stuff from NorthFace is usually top grade.

1Minute
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks fellas

Semper Fidelis!
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've checked out the reviews on the Big Sky Chinook tent. Most are 5 stars. The two that rated it lower say that the vestibule leaks at the top and gets your sleeping bag wet.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by 1minute
Not looked recently, but the high end Everest quality stuff from NorthFace is usually top grade.

The North Face VE-25 was the tent of choice for most people on Mount McKinley. It's a bombproof expedition tent, but it weighs 10#.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

Originally Posted by 1minute

The North Face VE-25 was the tent of choice for most people on Mount McKinley. It's a bombproof expedition tent, but it weighs 10#.

Yep...got one. Saved my bacon once in the most terrific wind storm.

The rainfly fits perfectly on my single wall for lower altitudes.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Brad
For me, a generalist 4 season tent should be double wall, have a vestibule, a solid interior, and if for 1P, should be under 4lbs.

Besides the Big Sky Int'l Revolution, another that meets my idea is the MSR Access 1:

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/all-s...our-season-solo-tent/09544.html?srd=true

And its 2P version (which is right at 4lbs):

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/all-s...son-ski-touring-tent/09545.html?srd=true

There's really no "wrong" answer, it just comes down to what the OP's criteria are, and what it's going to be used for.

For most fall hunting in the Rockies, a mountaineering tent isn't needed...

Thanks Brad and all for the insight.
This would be for backcountry hunting ie... packing it in on my back. Up to 3-4 miles in for campsite usually

Semper Fidelis!
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by addicted
Originally Posted by Brad
For me, a generalist 4 season tent should be double wall, have a vestibule, a solid interior, and if for 1P, should be under 4lbs.

Besides the Big Sky Int'l Revolution, another that meets my idea is the MSR Access 1:

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/all-s...our-season-solo-tent/09544.html?srd=true

And its 2P version (which is right at 4lbs):

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/all-s...son-ski-touring-tent/09545.html?srd=true

There's really no "wrong" answer, it just comes down to what the OP's criteria are, and what it's going to be used for.

For most fall hunting in the Rockies, a mountaineering tent isn't needed...

Thanks Brad and all for the insight.
This would be for backcountry hunting ie... packing it in on my back. Up to 3-4 miles in for campsite usually

The Big Sky International Revolution 1P seems to have the same problem with the vestibule as the Chinook. Also it's only a one man tent. I personally prefer the extra room of a 2-man tent and I'm willing to carry an extra 1/2# to get it.

I looked at the MSR Access-2 tent also. The mfg claims that it is a 4-season tent. But I'm skeptical that it's pole system could carry a heavy snow load.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Really appreciate you guys

You’re as anal retentive as I am.

Going to go through all these and figure out pros and cons.

Obviously lightweight is important since it’ll be on my back, but I’m willing to carry a few “extra” pounds to sleep comfortably and not have to worry about a heavy snowfall ruining my night.

Semper Fidelis!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KC

Also it's only a one man tent. I personally prefer the extra room of a 2-man tent and I'm willing to carry an extra 1/2# to get it.

100%

The only one man shelter I would ever buy is a tarp, survival type shelter.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.