Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
love to hear what impact you think this will have...

Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) says that a recent sighting of “six large canids…traveling together” coupled with “a scavenged elk” several miles from the sighting in northwest Colorado “strongly suggests a pack of gray wolves may now be residing in Colorado,” the Fort Collins Coloradoan reports...

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Elk and deer numbers decline.

I know crazy right?

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The impact is whatever the wolves want. Management is most likely out of Colorado's hands now that the wolves are restoring themselves. Colorado had the chance to restore wolves on their own terms, but they chose to wait for the yuppies to force the issue through ballot initiative or the wolves to restore themselves and be protected under the ESA.

It's going to be interesting if the wolf ballot initiative passes. The feds may say no, Colorado can't introduce wolves when there is already a naturally occurring, breeding pack (assuming the pack will successfully breed) that is protected under the ESA.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/10/20.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Heck MT had naturally occurring wolves too. Didn't stop the fed in 96.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho also had native wolves. That population was quickly killed or bred out of existence. They violated the ESA bringing in the grays.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah they did the same thing in Montana.no wolves for 100 years...then they started to magically appear......

They were introducing them long before given the green light to do so.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

I was at a political get together for a potential new Senator for Wyoming in the late 1980’s.....wolves were a hot topic at the meeting. An old, retired Wyo. Game Warden told of the feds introducing wolves into the Wyoming Range during the late ‘60’s ( I think) , north of Kemmerer. The warden was involved......against his wishes. This was supposed to be kept quiet. I had heard about this earlier from a couple of locals. Now, I had heard it from someone that was there!

North of Kemmerer, in 1990 (I think), I was putting bear baits in. I was pretty far into the NF, and spent the day walking the area.....sometimes walking across snow fields, sometimes in southern exposed, thawed areas with a lot of mud. I started seeing very large, fresh canine tracks. No one had been in this area since last fall, so dog tracks ( perhaps from a sheep herders lost Pyrenees) was very unlikely! The tracks were greater than 4” across the pad marks. This made me a believer in what the old game warden had said a few years earlier! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Either 89 or 90, I photographed a wolf track in High Park above Ten Sleep. Some nights you could one howl if you were up high.
At least the majority of Wyoming has no protection on the damn things but the damage to elk and deer populations has been done adjacent to jelly stone invasive weed infested [bleep] hole of a National Park.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by frank500
the majority of Wyoming has no protection on the damn things but the damage to elk and deer populations has been done adjacent to jelly stone invasive weed infested [bleep] hole of a National Park.

This ^^^^

Pansy management of the park system from DC has destroyed our local moose, elk and deer population. Shoot/Shovel/Shut up

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A couple of years ago I was hunting south of Craig and saw 2 large canines running across the south side of the Trapper Mine land. At first, I thought they were coyotes but they appeared much bigger. By the time I got glass on them, they were out of sight. I thought they could have been wolves, but didn’t think there were any in the area. Just an observation. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Think of wolves as a lawnmower. Now picture the largest elk herd on the planet, that is the grass. With a little imagination you can predict the results.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I haven't lived in Colorado for 15 years but saw a wolf (and a Moose calf another time) dead on the side on I-70 west of the tunnel even that long ago.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or a pair of wolves crossing 40 at the foot of Muddy Pass before 1980.....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Colorado... once home to a large and healthy elk herd. It’s going to be tough to watch happen.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tough to watch happen indeed. We watched it happen to our elk and moose in Western Wyoming in the mid nineties. I used to elk hunt in Grand Teton Park. The last year I hunted there, all I saw were wolf and bear tracks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read an article in a Grand Junction news paper 3 yrs ago about some wolves that had moved on to a ranch north of GJ and the Book Cliff's. They've most likely been there for a while.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
It looks like we have some wolves move into southern Wy. In early Nov. we hunted elk a few days and saw lots of elk every where but they were up pretty high for us. Usually this time of year you can see herds at long distance. We can out to hunt again and nothing. I talked to my pal, and he said they are gone. He can see acers of prime elk country from his picture window. They are not there or south of there. Usually we can see several hundred on winter hunts, but getting close is the trick. I will let you know if any thing changes.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Check out the post from Gittlesons up in Walden(posted by Diana Matheson) - north central Colorado of one of their heifers standing in the snow torn to pcs by wolves. Intestines torn out, hind quarters shredded. It's just standing there waiting to die. Scavengers my ass. As if bears, lions and wolves lounge around waiting for food to get sick and fall over or old age death comes in increments so to spread the food supply out all year. The stupidity is head shaking. Every rancher in the northern part of the state already knew they were hear. They just got tired of being called liars so they stopped trying to tell people in Denver.

Last edited by DeWman; 01/19/22.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wolves have been spotted in CO for several years now. CPW has always denied .it. They finally had to fess up when they investigated an elk killing in the NW part of the state with witnesses around. Recently two cows have been reported and the kill was up near Walden, CO.One cow was still living, but had to be put. See post above this. Polis and his liberal CPW commissioner appointments will stifle any reports.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/19/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Elk and deer numbers decline.

I know crazy right?

Ya so much so you can now kill more than 1 elk in MT and WY and lots of deer.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
292 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 257_X_50, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 44 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.