Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
love to hear what impact you think this will have...

Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) says that a recent sighting of “six large canids…traveling together” coupled with “a scavenged elk” several miles from the sighting in northwest Colorado “strongly suggests a pack of gray wolves may now be residing in Colorado,” the Fort Collins Coloradoan reports...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elk and deer numbers decline.

I know crazy right?

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The impact is whatever the wolves want. Management is most likely out of Colorado's hands now that the wolves are restoring themselves. Colorado had the chance to restore wolves on their own terms, but they chose to wait for the yuppies to force the issue through ballot initiative or the wolves to restore themselves and be protected under the ESA.

It's going to be interesting if the wolf ballot initiative passes. The feds may say no, Colorado can't introduce wolves when there is already a naturally occurring, breeding pack (assuming the pack will successfully breed) that is protected under the ESA.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/10/20.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Heck MT had naturally occurring wolves too. Didn't stop the fed in 96.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho also had native wolves. That population was quickly killed or bred out of existence. They violated the ESA bringing in the grays.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah they did the same thing in Montana.no wolves for 100 years...then they started to magically appear......

They were introducing them long before given the green light to do so.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

I was at a political get together for a potential new Senator for Wyoming in the late 1980’s.....wolves were a hot topic at the meeting. An old, retired Wyo. Game Warden told of the feds introducing wolves into the Wyoming Range during the late ‘60’s ( I think) , north of Kemmerer. The warden was involved......against his wishes. This was supposed to be kept quiet. I had heard about this earlier from a couple of locals. Now, I had heard it from someone that was there!

North of Kemmerer, in 1990 (I think), I was putting bear baits in. I was pretty far into the NF, and spent the day walking the area.....sometimes walking across snow fields, sometimes in southern exposed, thawed areas with a lot of mud. I started seeing very large, fresh canine tracks. No one had been in this area since last fall, so dog tracks ( perhaps from a sheep herders lost Pyrenees) was very unlikely! The tracks were greater than 4” across the pad marks. This made me a believer in what the old game warden had said a few years earlier! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Either 89 or 90, I photographed a wolf track in High Park above Ten Sleep. Some nights you could one howl if you were up high.
At least the majority of Wyoming has no protection on the damn things but the damage to elk and deer populations has been done adjacent to jelly stone invasive weed infested [bleep] hole of a National Park.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by frank500
the majority of Wyoming has no protection on the damn things but the damage to elk and deer populations has been done adjacent to jelly stone invasive weed infested [bleep] hole of a National Park.

This ^^^^

Pansy management of the park system from DC has destroyed our local moose, elk and deer population. Shoot/Shovel/Shut up

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A couple of years ago I was hunting south of Craig and saw 2 large canines running across the south side of the Trapper Mine land. At first, I thought they were coyotes but they appeared much bigger. By the time I got glass on them, they were out of sight. I thought they could have been wolves, but didn’t think there were any in the area. Just an observation. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Think of wolves as a lawnmower. Now picture the largest elk herd on the planet, that is the grass. With a little imagination you can predict the results.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I haven't lived in Colorado for 15 years but saw a wolf (and a Moose calf another time) dead on the side on I-70 west of the tunnel even that long ago.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or a pair of wolves crossing 40 at the foot of Muddy Pass before 1980.....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Colorado... once home to a large and healthy elk herd. It’s going to be tough to watch happen.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tough to watch happen indeed. We watched it happen to our elk and moose in Western Wyoming in the mid nineties. I used to elk hunt in Grand Teton Park. The last year I hunted there, all I saw were wolf and bear tracks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read an article in a Grand Junction news paper 3 yrs ago about some wolves that had moved on to a ranch north of GJ and the Book Cliff's. They've most likely been there for a while.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
It looks like we have some wolves move into southern Wy. In early Nov. we hunted elk a few days and saw lots of elk every where but they were up pretty high for us. Usually this time of year you can see herds at long distance. We can out to hunt again and nothing. I talked to my pal, and he said they are gone. He can see acers of prime elk country from his picture window. They are not there or south of there. Usually we can see several hundred on winter hunts, but getting close is the trick. I will let you know if any thing changes.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Check out the post from Gittlesons up in Walden(posted by Diana Matheson) - north central Colorado of one of their heifers standing in the snow torn to pcs by wolves. Intestines torn out, hind quarters shredded. It's just standing there waiting to die. Scavengers my ass. As if bears, lions and wolves lounge around waiting for food to get sick and fall over or old age death comes in increments so to spread the food supply out all year. The stupidity is head shaking. Every rancher in the northern part of the state already knew they were hear. They just got tired of being called liars so they stopped trying to tell people in Denver.

Last edited by DeWman; 01/19/22.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wolves have been spotted in CO for several years now. CPW has always denied .it. They finally had to fess up when they investigated an elk killing in the NW part of the state with witnesses around. Recently two cows have been reported and the kill was up near Walden, CO.One cow was still living, but had to be put. See post above this. Polis and his liberal CPW commissioner appointments will stifle any reports.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/19/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I know crazy right?

Ya so much so you can now kill more than 1 elk in MT and WY and lots of deer.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...S S & S

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Now they want to outlaw the hunting of Cougar.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Have wolves ever been sighted near the elk refuge at Jackson Hole? If not, I wonder why they haven’t gravitated to the refuge.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Join the crowd. Welcome to Wisconsin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by callnum

I know crazy right?

Hmmm what happened to the 2,000.cow permits and 100 either set permits around Gardner that used to be given out in the early to mid 90's when the elk herd was pushing 20,000

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sherm_61

I know crazy right?

Hmmm what happened to the 2,000.cow permits and 100 either set permits around Gardner that used to be given out in the early to mid 90's when the elk herd was pushing 20,000

Read the regs, up to 3 elk and better that a 6 month season. They are killing elk over there right now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was in the Marine Corps with a guy that had a buddy that was a trapper, hunter etc., and lived in the high country near Pagosa Springs, if I remember correctly. His buddy had shown him pics of wolves and told him that they were definitely wolves. This was in the early 70s. People just did not want it to be common knowledge that they were there and getting thicker. Now it is common knowledge and all the twatards are loving it-until FiFi disappears.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I know crazy right?

Through the mid-90's?

Try again, more FWP mismanagement.

They knew the elk herd in Gardiner was heavily skewed toward older age class animals about the time of wolf reintroduction. To make matters worse, rather than backing off just a bit on cow tags, they kept their foot on the gas issuing a boatload of tags clear through 2005 (10 years after reintroduction of wolves). Even as the griz and wolf populations continued to grow they kept issuing a couple thousand tags...real brilliant move.

Yeah, really surprising that elk numbers would continue to drop with maximum pressure from predators, hunters, combined with a very unproductive, older age class herd. Apparently everyone must have been asleep during that part of wildlife biology 101.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Last edited by BuzzH; 01/20/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I know crazy right?

Hmmm what happened to the 2,000.cow permits and 100 either sex permits around Gardner that used to be given out in the early to mid 90's when the elk herd was pushing 20,000

Read the regs, up to 3 elk and better that a 6 month season. They are killing elk over there right now.

I did theres 2 - 30 permits for cows Dec.11-19 and a 50 either set in the 313 Gardner unit when there used to be 2,000 cow permits and 100 either set in 313

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know for a fact there was 2,000 permits in the early 90's Buzzy you were probably in grade school then so how do you know. I worked and knew several people who put in for them and went, if I remember correctly they were in 3 day blocks in Jan
I've never said there hasn't been mismanagement of the elk herds Hell I've been critical of the MD for along time.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I know crazy right?

Hmmm what happened to the 2,000.cow permits and 100 either sex permits around Gardner that used to be given out in the early to mid 90's when the elk herd was pushing 20,000

I did theres 2 - 30 permits for cows Dec.11-19 and a 50 either set in the 313 Gardner unit when there used to be 2,000 cow permits and 100 either set in 313

Wrong

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Then post the regs for 313, im not talking about private land either, my comparison is what it was in the early 90's to what it is now and after the so called B.S reintroduction.
As usual deflect away from the original questions

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You dont believev here was 2,000 permits call the Fish and game and ask a long time biologist or somebody who can provide documentation you'll see for yourself your full of [bleep] as usual

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
News flash, elk go on to private lands. I know you moved here not long ago so I understand your struggles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here we go again cant stand patting yourself on the back and your arrogance abounds you.
Go read nps.gov 1975 -1995 the late hunt took almost a 1,000 elk a year avg smart guy.
When did I move here smart guy

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/20/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Come on man prove me wrong your so smart

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You have done it for me. LOL

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know for a fact there was 2,000 permits in the early 90's Buzzy you were probably in grade school then so how do you know. I worked and knew several people who put in for them and went, if I remember correctly they were in 3 day blocks in Jan
I've never said there hasn't been mismanagement of the elk herds Hell I've been critical of the MD for along time.

There were 2K tags for a lot longer than the mid-90's....that's the point.

Why as your elk herd was declining would you still continue to issue 2k tags? That's called mismanagement.

But again, to blame the decline strictly on wolves, when grizzlies were increasing, the FWP was still pounding on those elk, and the known fact of an older, less productive herd was a given...is just flat disingenuous and selective outrage.

I never participated as a hunter in those Gardiner late hunts, but did go with several friends in the 80's-2000. Those hunts ranged from not horrible to a total chitshow...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey buzz congrats to you and BHA for getting wolves into Colorado and working on getting predator hunting shut down now in Colorado

BHA clowns did a heck of job stopping trapping getting banned in New Mexico. Lol

I’m surprised you and caldumb and the pot bellied ginger land tawny had time to post on here with all of your BHA anti gun and anti hunting agenda . Bunch of dumb phughin trolls.

[

quote=BuzzH]

I know crazy right?

Through the mid-90's?

Try again, more FWP mismanagement.

They knew the elk herd in Gardiner was heavily skewed toward older age class animals about the time of wolf reintroduction. To make matters worse, rather than backing off just a bit on cow tags, they kept their foot on the gas issuing a boatload of tags clear through 2005 (10 years after reintroduction of wolves). Even as the griz and wolf populations continued to grow they kept issuing a couple thousand tags...real brilliant move.

Yeah, really surprising that elk numbers would continue to drop with maximum pressure from predators, hunters, combined with a very unproductive, older age class herd. Apparently everyone must have been asleep during that part of wildlife biology 101.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com][/quote]

You have done it for me. LOL

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ribka
Hey buzz congrats to you and BHA for getting wolves into Colorado and working on getting predator hunting shut down now in Colorado

BHA clowns did a heck of job stopping trapping getting banned in New Mexico. Lol

I’m surprised you and caldumb and the pot bellied ginger land tawny had time to post on here with all of your BHA anti gun and anti hunting agenda . Bunch of dumb phughin trolls.

Hey dough boy, you do understand how groups work and workk towards their mission statements, right? I know has a non hunter lots of this stuff is new to you.

BTW I am not a member of BHA, but do support some of their work.

Here is BHA's mission statement. Even a simpleton like yourself can see their mission statement has nothing to do with the 2nd or wolves. Its a lot about access.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters, and wildlife.

I can explain it to you but I can't help you understand it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Buzz wether you agree or not if not for the B.S wolf reintroduction the herds would have no doudt still been above the 12,000 mark. Hunting had been used for 20 years trying to keep the numbers down and still thet weren't your own graphs show that.
Now introduce the wolf into the pic different story and by your analogy it was mismanagement after the wolf, mine is no B.S wolf and there would still be 12,000 + elk to support atleast a great opportunity.
Sure it was a [bleep] show, but it was no different in what I encountered hunting unit 38 with rifle for elk this year in Wyoming

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Damn the arrogance in some people, my dad when I was growing up would have lit me on fire with tha arrogance Hell even as an adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Your real quick to point the finger at Montana FWP when your BHA supported all the previous Democrat administration that Schweizer and Bullock put in place as Game commissioners

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Buzz used to work for the anti hunting, anti gun billionaire Ted Turner. Screwing over sportsmen is Buzz's bread and butter. He would self himself out to anyone for a dime. All of his sham studies are funded by anti hunting left wing groups. Look how many state wild life biologists now are now anti hunting. He and lil bisssh caldum are paid to come on here and other hunting sites like Rok slide and that joke of a site run by Newberg and spread pro wolf BHA propaganda and blame sportsmen for declining herds.

Everyone on here knows what a joke he is. He was just recently mocking all of the combat vets, nurses, doctors, EMT's firemen, cops who were fired for not taking the jab. You know the people that actually showed up to work every day the past 2 years. Buzzy is in a cushy state job where he can work from home and hold zoom meeting double masked eating ice cream and wearing his elevator shoes lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd love to see somebody mock my ex marine nephew to his face for not taking the jab key board commando is easy and I shouldn't say ex- marine once a marine always a marine.

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/20/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Your real quick to point the finger at Montana FWP when your BHA supported all the previous Democrat administration that Schweizer and Bullock put in place as Game commissioners

I think you need to get your dates right.

Schweitzer wasn't elected until 2005, BHA wasn't even founded until 2004 and Montana didn't even have a State chapter when Schweitzer was elected. Tawney wasn't hired until 2013, the year Schweitzer left office.

Not sure where you pull your "facts" from, but I would have to guess straight from your ass....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Buzz wether you agree or not if not for the B.S wolf reintroduction the herds would have no doudt still been above the 12,000 mark. Hunting had been used for 20 years trying to keep the numbers down and still thet weren't your own graphs show that.
Now introduce the wolf into the pic different story and by your analogy it was mismanagement after the wolf, mine is no B.S wolf and there would still be 12,000 + elk to support atleast a great opportunity.
Sure it was a [bleep] show, but it was no different in what I encountered hunting unit 38 with rifle for elk this year in Wyoming

Not true...have you ever read the EMP?

Familiar with Debby Barrett's bill? You know, the one that compels, by State Statute, that elk be held at or below the population objectives defined in the EMP?

If you did, you wouldn't make such unfounded claims as the herd would have been around 12,000. For starters, go look at the data from 1960-present. That herd has fluctuated a lot over the years. It wasn't until 1975 that the Northern herd hit 12K.

Even if wolves would never have been introduced, the MTFWP would be mandated by law to hold elk at or below the objective numbers, so you're just flat wrong that 12K elk would have been available to hunters.

Finally no, it wasn't mismanagement after the wolf, it was mismanagement all during wolf reintroduction. The mismanagement continued as the elk populations were declining and they were still issuing tags like they had 19K elk. Then when Barrett (R-Dillon) passed her legislation in 2003, compelling the FWP to wage war on elk to hold them at objective numbers...it was a foregone conclusion that elk would NEVER be allowed to reach 12K again.

That's still where we're at today, and wolf or not, the LAW will not allow that many elk to ever inhabit the Northern herd again.

Get your facts straight.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Your such an arrogant fugg Buzz i hope anybody who thinks about BHA sees just who the arrogant fugg you are.
FACT FOR SURE!!!

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/21/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i live in Minnesota with wolves and bears we have way too many wolves and for 100 years here in Northern Minnesota we shot wolves ,trap wolves and poisoned wolves all year long and we could never ever get rid of this dang killers and now we have to protect wolves WTF. wolves don`t always eat what wolves kill either, wolves just like to kill animals and wish these college educated people would get this figured out. we don`t need to have many or any wolves in the wild anymore. you nature loving people in the cities get over this crap ! why in the heck does anyone want too introduce more or new wolves in there home state or anyplace else. bet not too many people have ever seen a poor cow lipping around with her calf with her back legs ripped open and bleeding caused by wolves ,so my friends have to kill the cow and bottle feed the calf. don`t tell me the rancher gets all his money back from the Federal Government either that`s B.S. too ! you want wolves put them in the cities where you live they can eat your pets , kids and street people we have no use for wolves or want wolves in the country where WE PAY THE TAXES and live !!! out west elk and deer populations go down a lot because of where wolves have been introduced and now live that`s a true fact and wolves like slow elk called beef cows too.

Last edited by pete53; 01/21/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Your such an arrogant fugg Buzz i hope anybody who thinks about BHA sees just who the arrogant fugg you are.
FACT FOR SURE!!!

You're.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

I know crazy right?

Hey dumbass just because they will sell a tag doesn't mean you can kill more than one elk.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

I know crazy right?

Wrong

Make an effort to apply for an elk tag sometime retard.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

You seem to correlate the numbers of tags with the number of elk that can be taken with said tags. I hunted western Wyoming from 1989 to 2014. I saw a lot of tags sold that only had one value, the money WFG pocketed. I watched the wolf population grow and the elk population decline.

Last edited by rickt300; 01/22/22.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Let's just be honest the only reason wolves were re- introduced was to reduce hunting opportunities. We now have wolves in Oregon. I have never heard or met a single liberal spending money to go see a wolves. All these little towns in EO really depend on hunters spending money during the season. As wolves increase and game decrease so will the economy in these towns.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rickt300

I know crazy right?

Wrong

Texan pretending to know something about elk and wolves. LOL

Stick to high fence corn fingers and hogs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ehunter
Let's just be honest the only reason wolves were re- introduced was to reduce hunting opportunities. We now have wolves in Oregon. I have never heard or met a single liberal spending money to go see a wolves. All these little towns in EO really depend on hunters spending money during the season. As wolves increase and game decrease so will the economy in these towns.

You seem to correlate the numbers of tags with the number of elk that can be taken with said tags. I hunted western Wyoming from 1989 to 2014. I saw a lot of tags sold that only had one value, the money WFG pocketed. I watched the wolf population grow and the elk population decline.

LOL

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'm not sure what you mean, my point is you can definitely look at the Yellowstone elk herd numbers from mid 70's to mid 90's and they used hunting to try and ketankingep the numbers down which really wasn't working issueing 1500-2000 cow tags a year. Then start looking at the numbers drop after wolves were stuffed in the park. Not rocket science that wolves made a huge impact to the numbers.
Of course some believe hunters should have less opportunity so wolves can eat more.

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/23/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Not true...have you ever read the EMP?

Familiar with Debby Barrett's bill? You know, the one that compels, by State Statute, that elk be held at or below the population objectives defined in the EMP?

If you did, you wouldn't make such unfounded claims as the herd would have been around 12,000. For starters, go look at the data from 1960-present. That herd has fluctuated a lot over the years. It wasn't until 1975 that the Northern herd hit 12K.

Even if wolves would never have been introduced, the MTFWP would be mandated by law to hold elk at or below the objective numbers, so you're just flat wrong that 12K elk would have been available to hunters.

Finally no, it wasn't mismanagement after the wolf, it was mismanagement all during wolf reintroduction. The mismanagement continued as the elk populations were declining and they were still issuing tags like they had 19K elk. Then when Barrett (R-Dillon) passed her legislation in 2003, compelling the FWP to wage war on elk to hold them at objective numbers...it was a foregone conclusion that elk would NEVER be allowed to reach 12K again.

That's still where we're at today, and wolf or not, the LAW will not allow that many elk to ever inhabit the Northern herd again.

Get your facts straight.

Read and understand this sherm.

Then when Barrett (R-Dillon) passed her legislation in 2003, compelling the FWP to wage war on elk to hold them at objective numbers...it was a foregone conclusion that elk would NEVER be allowed to reach 12K again

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And what does that have to do with the Elk numbers being below 10,000 by 2003 from 1995.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It’s been explained to you numerous times sherm.

No one can help you understand, that’s up to you.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
LOL whatever. I know ill listen to you and Buzz.
I know one thing for certain I saw what it was before and after the B.S wolves reintroduction and have a nephew who is a wildlife biologist who i listen and trust more than I I do some other biologist so called studies and numbers, let's all remember the lynx hair planting that biologist were caught red handed doing and if you dont think things like that haven't happened in the past.

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/23/22.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
callnum: You intentionally and in my opinion stupidly IGNORE many facts - I will just point out one of your idiotic oversights!
Elk habits have changed DRAMATICALLY since the canadian wolves were introduced here in western, northwestern and southwestern Montana!
I KNOW - because I started Hunting Big game in Montana (1969) 30 years before the horror of the transplanted canadian wolves became entrenched here!
The areas I have Hunted now for over 52 years has seen the Elk completely change much of their home-range, habits and haunts!
Yeah there are lots of Elk in some areas of western and southwestern Montana, and they have learned the only place they can exist is ON or IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT to private ranches.
Just last month I helped a friend "scout" Elk in the Madison River Valley where he indeed had 2 (two!) after regular season cow Elk tags.
We saw over 3,500 Elk one day and ALL were on and had been STAYING on private ranches - some ranches allowed Hunting and some did not. All were in wide open unforested pastures and fields!
Last I heard from him he had NOT filled either tag!
Anyway these "extra tag" (as well as MUCH of Elk Hunting in wolfy areas of Montana!) Hunts have turned into "firing line" hunting and shooting into large herds - and "hunters" breaking laws to try and haze Elk off of protected private ranches.
So many "hunters" are cited for infringing on private lands in frustration, and cited for tresspassing - our new and green motivated fish and game folks are happy to cite nowadays - I know, I see it firsthand annually now.
In recent years I have avoided recommending Elk Hunting in Montana for my friends and acquaintances from out of state - because of the aforementioned situations and the much harder Elk Hunting on public lands.
In my opinion, based on my experience, without a special tag (which are hard to get!) and without paying EXHORBITANT tresspass fees an Elk Hunter here, nowadays, has less than a third of a chance bagging an Elk as compared to pre-wolf times!
That is sad.
AND.... the Elk Hunting experience in western and southwestern Montana has been greatly diminished, quality wise, since the introduction of the canadian wolves.
And that is sad.
I shudder at the thought of what the Wolves will do to the wonderful Elk herds in Colorado!
It is inevitable and horrific.
It will be similar to what has happened here in Montana in the last 23+ years.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Thanks for nothing rmWf!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
VG you are stupider than I thought. Didn’t think that was possible. I know plenty of guys kill elk every year on public land around Dillon. You should get out of the truck.

First like I have said before guys like you couldn’t kill elk before wolves and now still can’t and blame the wolf.

Did you ever vote for Debbie Barret? If so you are responsible for killing more elk in the state then wolves ever will.

Your0 buddy would be smart to look for someone else to help him.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
callnumb: Calling names is all you have got - desperate, immature, incorrect and useless.
I'll match MY intelligence agains the likes of proven idiots like yourself ANYDAY!
If you think the Elk Hunting is better now after the canadian wolves were introduced than it was before introduction then YOU have proven yourself incorrect (and useless!) again!
callnumb let alone what the introduced canadian wolves have done to our once wonderful Moose, Mule Deer and Bighorn Sheep herds here in SW Montana.
My first Elk Hunt of the year this year was a 5 miles beyond the trailhead and a horse aided pack-in Hunt.
I have done this Hunt for many years and of late it is getting worse and worse!
This year NO Elk were brought to bag on our week long Hunt and I saw just two Moose all week - where I used to see 4 or 5 a day!
And to add insult to injury we heard wolves most every night and we saw them on two different days.
IF... YOU had an ounce of intelligence YOU would not state such ignorant and erroneous things as you have done here and so often do!
And for you to pretend to know how or where anyone you don't know Hunts, well that is just more of your idiocy over-riding common sense.
You have earned a double sheesh!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
VG you are truly the dumbest fugg on the fire.

So old and stupid you don’t see the irony in whining like an old lady about name calling and then starting your dumb post by name calling. Double sheesh

I know 18 (eighteen) guys and gals that killed bulls on public all around Dillon. All boned out and in packs. Hint

You say you keep packing in to a place that is getting worse every year, duh quit going there. Elk hunting 101

So back to your road hunt in the Madison. You are suprised the elk are on private in the middle of January? It’s called winter range. So where do you expect them to be?

My advice is for you to quit hunting altogether. You are wasting your time.

Answer the question, how many times did you vote for Debbie Barret?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
callnumb: Calling names is all you have got - desperate, immature, incorrect and useless.
I'll match MY intelligence agains the likes of proven idiots like yourself ANYDAY!
If you think the Elk Hunting is better now after the canadian wolves were introduced than it was before introduction then YOU have proven yourself incorrect (and useless!) again!
callnumb let alone what the introduced canadian wolves have done to our once wonderful Moose, Mule Deer and Bighorn Sheep herds here in SW Montana.
My first Elk Hunt of the year this year was a 5 miles beyond the trailhead and a horse aided pack-in Hunt.
I have done this Hunt for many years and of late it is getting worse and worse!
This year NO Elk were brought to bag on our week long Hunt and I saw just two Moose all week - where I used to see 4 or 5 a day!
And to add insult to injury we heard wolves most every night and we saw them on two different days.
IF... YOU had an ounce of intelligence YOU would not state such ignorant and erroneous things as you have done here and so often do!
And for you to pretend to know how or where anyone you don't know Hunts, well that is just more of your idiocy over-riding common sense.
You have earned a double sheesh!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

He is a leftard, facts mean nothing to him. Biden voters are stupid, prove me wrong.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
20 years ago there were many moose in Montana near the mountains and in the mountains now there are many less . i have noticed fewer nice mule deer bucks and the population of mule deer is less it seems too ? i was a bowhunter for those 20 some years spent many days , weeks at tent camps and the one thing i did notice was the last few years there now is way more wolves howling . i have even wondered why i see less black bears too now days ? loggers in my home state say wolves will pull a bear out of his den and eat that bear still alive and sleepy because when its cold wolves need that fat to survive. some loggers tell that when they cut and harvest trees to sell many times the deer winter and eat the tops of the trees ,then wolves have moved in and killed the deer that have wintered in these areas that loggers have left . loggers tell me when they have went back there in the spring for clean up many times the carcasses of deer are still there and many of these wolf killed deer have been left untouched and only a few were eaten. yet other loggers say this when the see a larger deer carcasses : you can bet its a nice buck with good horns. that old buck will stand and fight the wolves because that buck still thinks he is a bad ass and those wolves kill him quickly.i have seen the horns the loggers collect its very sad.. so if your a biologist or their friend give them this info maybe some day the light will come on. herei n Minnesota these DNR specialist have not figured out the problem why the moose population is so low now ? but at Isle Royal island now America is bringing in to destroy the large moose population by using more wolves . this sure can be confussing ? these college educated liberals who are managing our game animals are ruining our game animals we dearly love there needs to be some common sense brought back in one way or another they are the problem .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Calldumb is one of these guys that believes that since the wolf numbers aren't affecting the elk numbers where HE hunts, the wolf must not be impacting the elk numbers any where else either.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Calldumb is one of these guys that believes that since the wolf numbers aren't affecting the elk numbers where HE hunts, the wolf must not be impacting the elk numbers any where else either.

With the invention of Al Gore's internet is real easy for most guys to track elk populations and wolf populations in every state and everywhere.

Boomers probably have a little more trouble.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
callnum, I know you like to stir the pot with your liberal bullschit, but you cannot tell anyone here that adding more predators to the mix, whether its humans, wolves, or bears, doesn't impact deer and elk herds negatively. The lion numbers in my unit have blown up, and the deer are barely hanging on with a thread at this point. Adding wolves to the mix won't help.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never said that at all.

Folks in CO are repeating the same doom and gloom that WA and OR cried, which happens to be the same as MT, ID and WY cried.

I hunt in the middle of grizzly, lion, wolf and hunter country and can kill a truck load of deer and up to 3 elk in a season that lasts 6 months. You will survive. Guys like VG and Texans will complain wolves killed everything.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
A 175 pound male from Colo. came into Wyoming last week. He will not be going home.

Callnum, what state is this that amid bears, mt. lions and wolves you are covered up with elk and deer?

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
A 175 pound male from Colo. came into Wyoming last week. He will not be going home.

Callnum, what state is this that amid bears, mt. lions and wolves you are covered up with elk and deer?

If bullschit were music you'd be John Philip Sousa...

Ask anyone that's weighed wolves, I bet not a single one will say they've weighed one even close to 175 lbs.

Sell crazy somewhere else....clown.

Last edited by BuzzH; 01/25/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I smell rags burning...its your pants on fire.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=503

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I did not weight it [bleep]. Only reported what I was told. It did have a huge head on it. Sorry I offended you, you prick! So gfy!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I did not weight it [bleep]. Only reported what I was told. It did have a huge head on it. Sorry I offended you, you prick! So gfy!!

If you're going to pull a story out of your ass at least make it half believable... 🤡

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I didn't pulled it out of my ass. Just saw the pic of a friends wolf and what they said.. Could have been wrong. Sorry I am not an authority on wolves. If it offends you great. You have to be one of the biggest a$$hole pricks on this site!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I didn't pulled it out of my ass. Just saw the pic of a friends wolf and what they said.. Could have been wrong. Sorry I am not an authority on wolves. If it offends you great. You have to be one of the biggest a$$hole pricks on this site!

What's next the story of your doe mule deer that was as big as a cow elk?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
GFY! You are not worth my time.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
GFY! You are not worth my time.

Come on, post up another of your favorite fairy tales...I'm sure you have some real gems.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ok. I looked over your article on Alaska wolves and wt. If you read it closely it said a wolf coming off a fresh kill could weight 170 pounds. While not their every day wt. with a full belly it was possible. This one had just made a kill of some cattle so according to your sources it is possible.. Now before you loose your cool, I did not read the whole thing in depth, but you source said it was possible.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ok. I looked over your article on Alaska wolves and wt. If you read it closely it said a wolf coming off a fresh kill could weight 170 pounds. While not their every day wt. with a full belly it was possible. This one had just made a kill of some cattle so according to your sources it is possible.. Now before you loose your cool, I did not read the whole thing in depth, but you source said it was possible.

Right it happened once in the 1940s in alaska....so I'm sure one of the few wolves to roam into Colorado, allegedly shot back in wyoming...allegedly has a full belly of Colorado beef...allegedly killed by your drunk friend on the bar stool next to you....shot the second wolf in history to weigh 175 pounds.

Sounds probable....did he shoot it running, in the ear, at 600 yards with a 22 magnum with iron sights?

Was the shot confirmed by the tooth fairy or easter bunny?

You're full of crap...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

True story I was ice fishing last weekend and no chit I hooked a Coleman lantern. Pulled it through the hole and it was still burning!

Tell you what, knock 60 lbs off the weight of your wolf and I'll blow out my lantern.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The DOW tranquilized a large male just north of my property line this spring from a helicopter, scooped it up in a net and hauled it off. They wanted to keep it quiet but two of the neighbors videod them and it wound up in the Coloradoan. Apparently, it was a male from yellowstone that was collared and they lost him for awhile. They found him following a female south. I am 40 miles south of Laramie and 20 miles northwest of Fort Collins.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Number 1 criteria to be a BHA member TOTAL ARROGANT PRICK!! Land must me proud Buzz.

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/26/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
here's a pic of the woof that WCH mentioned.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
dang, I'd say that is a big un...

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
here's a pic of the woof that WCH mentioned.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Not close to 175 pounds and that's a fact

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Who gives a schit if its 100lbs or 175? Still a pain in the ass animal that is invasive. You argue like an 8th grade girl. Nobody is impressed by you Buzz. That's why you're heckled on every site you frequent.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't consider 15,000 elk in Yellowstone reduced to a few thousand Gloom and Doom. We already have wolves moving into northern Colorado from Wyoming and they have killed three cows within the last two weeks.That is about $3000 each and the rancher has to fight like hell to get paid for them and he won't receive full compensation.

When they start killing elk after introduction, the funds that are being paid for depredation are coming from by hunters, not the liberals in Denver and Boulder.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks 22. I did not want to put the photo up even if I could. I did find one of my former students was in on the hunt. I was mistaken about the weight of the animal.. My friend mentioned the first wt. way too high. My pal who was there said the wt. was 106. I didn't mean to mislead, but that is what I have been told both times by someone else. None the less it is a big wolf and now a good wolf. Thanks hope everyone understands the error. It was a big wolf no doubt and we are all better off it is taken out.

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am NOT kiddin':
https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article164164139/Ein-Rettungswagen-nur-fuer-angefahrene-Woelfe.html

NONSENSE OR HELPFUL?
An ambulance, only for wounded wolves
Published on 02.05.2017
The wolf is back. Animals are more and more victims of traffic accidents. In Lower Saxony, injured wolves are to be taken to treatment in a specially equipped trailer. The nation's first special trailer for transporting injured wolves is solidly built. Equipment includes bite-resistant gloves, a net, pole slings, a patented board with attachment straps - and even an electric blanket.

The vehicle was developed by a company in Baden-Württemberg together with the wolf advisor for the Hanover region, Helge Stummeyer. In the vicinity of the state capital there is no pack at all, only individual animals have been sighted. "But you don't just buy the fire truck when it's on fire."

At the end of January, the Hanover region announced the commissioning of the special trailer, which cost 10,000 euros. The local politicians from the CDU, SPD and Greens had unanimously voted in favor of the purchase. Where exactly the ambulance is stationed, Stummeyer does not reveal. "The wolf only gets it on the fur," he says. Livestock farmers are worried about their sheep and calves, the state CDU is demanding an upper limit for wolves regulated by hunters.

Struck wolves being nursed back to health
Shooting of the strictly protected predators is currently prohibited. Unlike deer or wild boar, no hunter or police officer is allowed to kill an animal that has been hit, even if it is visibly suffering and seriously injured. According to the law, an official veterinarian must always come to the accident site to examine the wolf and decide whether it should be killed or treated.
Against this background, Stummeyer came up with the idea of ​​the ambulance. Injured animals could be brought to safety from the scene of the accident in order to be able to decide in peace about how to proceed, says the wolf advisor. So far there has not been any use - although the trailer can also be requested from neighboring districts where packs already live. The number of animals that have died in Lower Saxony so far is manageable: 14 wolves have been killed on the road since January 2015, four of them since November 2016.

The head of the Dörverden Wolf Center, Frank Faß, is aware of a case from Saxony in which a wolf that was hit by a car was nursed back to health. "There is said to have been a second case in Germany," says the expert. He doesn't want to pass judgment on what may even be the world's first wolf trailer. "I have not seen him yet."

The President of the State Hunters' Association of Lower Saxony, Helmut Dammann-Tamke, considers the vehicle to be nonsense. On the one hand, the journeys are too long, on the other hand, the trailer will soon no longer be necessary. "The strict protection of wolves under species protection law will be considerably relativized in the next few years," assumes the CDU member of parliament. "The wolf population is no longer dependent on us fighting for every single animal." In addition, animal welfare is not divisible, says Dammann-Tamke. After all, there are no ambulances for hares or deer that have been hit.

Elmer Keith
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not to hijack this thread, but it looks like the Colorado proposed ban on hunting mountain lions, lynx,and bob cat is dying a slow death three of the four sponsors have pulled out their support

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is there a difference between “hunting” and shoot on sight? Asking for a friend…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Not to hijack this thread, but it looks like the Colorado proposed ban on hunting mountain lions, lynx,and bob cat is dying a slow death three of the four sponsors have pulled out their support

That’s great news, where did you see that SS?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
The DOW tranquilized a large male just north of my property line this spring from a helicopter, scooped it up in a net and hauled it off. They wanted to keep it quiet but two of the neighbors videod them and it wound up in the Coloradoan. Apparently, it was a male from yellowstone that was collared and they lost him for awhile. They found him following a female south. I am 40 miles south of Laramie and 20 miles northwest of Fort Collins.

If true, I’m sure that video is on the internet by now, got a link?

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here's a link to a news story stating that 3 of 4 sponsors have pulled their support for the mtn. lion hunt ban.

https://www.westernslopenow.com/colorado-news/big-cat-hunting-ban-loses-support-around-capitol/

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When they start killing elk after introduction, the funds that are being paid for depredation are coming from by hunters, not the liberals in Denver and Boulder.

Apparently this is not true as another forum that I am on, a bow hunter recently asked this very question and here is a copy/paste of his question and the reply that he received from the CDOW..

Where does rancher compensation money come from for the recent wolf kills on cattle in North Park Colorado, since the Prop 114 wolf plan has not been approved.
I thought the money would come from the CPW Big Game Cash Fund, ie, hunting and fishing license fees as in the past and approved by the CPW Commission.

Here is the response and clarification from the CPW staffer who manages the Depredation Compensation Program.

"Depredation compensation for the recent incidents you reference (North Park wolf kills cattle) involving the naturally migrating wolves will not utilize revenues generated by the sale of hunting or fishing license fees. Compensation will occur via the General Fund, the Species Conservation Trust Fund, the Colorado Nongame Conservation and Wildlife Restoration Cash Funds, or other sources of funding for non-game species."

Note, generally, the Species Conservation Trust Fund, is a Legislative House bill, approved, that provides appropriated State tax money for a variety of wildlife species. The other noted Cash Fund above is from public donation.

He did explain that under the Prop 114 wolf plan, depredation compensation will come from the State, General Tax fund so all Coloradans will pay for it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=TRnCO]

"Depredation compensation for the recent incidents you reference (North Park wolf kills cattle) involving the naturally migrating wolves will not utilize revenues generated by the sale of hunting or fishing license fees. Compensation will occur via the General Fund, the Species Conservation Trust Fund, the Colorado Nongame Conservation and Wildlife Restoration Cash Funds, or other sources of funding for non-game species."

Note, generally, the Species Conservation Trust Fund, is a Legislative House bill, approved, that provides appropriated State tax money for a variety of wildlife species. The other noted Cash Fund above is from public donation.

He did explain that under the Prop 114 wolf plan, depredation compensation will come from the State, General Tax fund so all Coloradans will pay for it.[/quote

That is true at present.

However once the program is going, if CPW is paying it out , it will come out of their funds according to CPW at the last Round Table meeting. At present all hunting and fishing dollars collected go into the General Fund. Then CPW has to ask for those funds back when the budget is approved.CPW is tasked with implementing the program. (ie the state). That includes funding. Not all of it , but the amount coincides with what CPW takes in.. from P&R ,Dingle, grants,Habitat stamps, and hunting /fishing licenses.
When specifically asked about that during the meeting, the only response was they were working on it, but CPW would be paying it out.That tells me right there that they don't want the public to know about it. Read the bios on the Polis appointed CPW commission and see how many commissioners are hunters or ranchers.They are not on hunter's or rancher' side

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/27/22.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Some good news for a change.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just read a report today where the wolves killed a rancher's dog last nite & his other dog was on the porch with some pretty nasty wounds

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nevermind that... hipsters think its magical to camp in their Subaru with hopes of hearing wolves howl in the distance, while they refer to each other in pronouns.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Just read a report today where the wolves killed a rancher's dog last nite & his other dog was on the porch with some pretty nasty wounds

According to BHA it’s for the greater good 👍🏻.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Springcove

Not true. FWIW I am not a BHA member.

COLORADO WOLF STATEMENT
Posted by Colorado BHA | February 04, 2021
The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and the Public Trust Doctrine define fish and wildlife resources as the property of the people and managed by the state and federal agencies entrusted with their stewardship. Backcountry Hunters & Anglers acknowledges this model as the foundation of science-based fish and wildlife management and we support hunting, fishing and trapping as appropriate management tools. BHA does not endorse advancing wildlife management policies and decisions by state or federal legislation or voter referendums and ballot initiatives. We are obligated as an organization committed to hunters and anglers to advance sound stewardship policies that are guided by science over politics, emotion, and conjecture.

While the presence of wolves and evidence of natural colonization in Colorado has instigated passionate conversations, BHA’s policies related to wildlife management remain unchanged. We do, however, recommend the following actions be considered related to future wolf management needs in the state:

Update Colorado’s dated wolf management plan to incorporate new science, wildlife and habitat data, and the growing body of evidence that suggests natural colonization of the grey wolf (Canis lupus) is a reality in Colorado.
Direct the appropriate decision-makers to study, evaluate, and secure new sources of funding to support the financial burden of wolf management in Colorado including both the costs of additional staffing for wolf-related management activities and mitigation expenses for livestock losses.
Develop a plan to evaluate potential livestock depredations and community conflicts, provide for ongoing monitoring, and create a compensation program that mitigates livestock losses.
Direct the appropriate decision-makers to create durable policies for any new livestock compensation programs that protect state-based revenue sources provided by hunters and anglers (Game Cash Fund) and create legal compliance with and insulation for federal funds provided by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 (Pittman–Robertson).
Facilitate cross-jurisdictional collaboration with neighboring states and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service related to future wolf management needs in Colorado.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The problem with all this " science " is it to be trusted.
Example on montanas wolf numbers few years ago they claimed 477 in 2016 all the sudden changed the way they counted in 2017and we had damn near double 819 in 2018
Like I said I have a nephew wildlife biologist and I know how this " science " can be manipulated just take the lynx hair planting as an example.
Anybody who doesn't think there's some biologists out there that don't have an agenda better pull your head out.

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/27/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Everybody believes in science when it tells them what they want to hear, but when it tells them something different than they believe, it’s dismissed as having an “agenda”.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BuzzH

True story I was ice fishing last weekend and no chit I hooked a Coleman lantern. Pulled it through the hole and it was still burning!

Tell you what, knock 60 lbs off the weight of your wolf and I'll blow out my lantern.

buzzy , looks like your wet dream of placing uncontrolled wolf populations into the world's largest elk herd inColorado is coming to fruition.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
lol. what a joke BHA has millions of dollars to fight this and did not donate one cent. Just like did nothing when trapping was shut down in New Mexico last year. You BHA clowns are just a bunch of anti hunting pro wolf scammers.

BHA should stick to what the best.- banning firearms.

COLORADO WOLF STATEMENT
The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and the Public Trust Doctrine define fish and wildlife resources as the property of the people and managed by the state and federal agencies entrusted with their stewardship. Backcountry Hunters & Anglers acknowledges this model as the foundation of science-based fish and wildlife management and we support hunting, fishing and trapping as appropriate management tools. BHA does not endorse advancing wildlife management policies and decisions by state or federal legislation or voter referendums and ballot initiatives. We are obligated as an organization committed to hunters and anglers to advance sound stewardship policies that are guided by science over politics, emotion, and conjecture.

While the presence of wolves and evidence of natural colonization in Colorado has instigated passionate conversations, BHA’s policies related to wildlife management remain unchanged. We do, however, recommend the following actions be considered related to future wolf management needs in the state:

Update Colorado’s dated wolf management plan to incorporate new science, wildlife and habitat data, and the growing body of evidence that suggests natural colonization of the grey wolf (Canis lupus) is a reality in Colorado.
Direct the appropriate decision-makers to study, evaluate, and secure new sources of funding to support the financial burden of wolf management in Colorado including both the costs of additional staffing for wolf-related management activities and mitigation expenses for livestock losses.
Develop a plan to evaluate potential livestock depredations and community conflicts, provide for ongoing monitoring, and create a compensation program that mitigates livestock losses.
Direct the appropriate decision-makers to create durable policies for any new livestock compensation programs that protect state-based revenue sources provided by hunters and anglers (Game Cash Fund) and create legal compliance with and insulation for federal funds provided by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 (Pittman–Robertson).
Facilitate cross-jurisdictional collaboration with neighboring states and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service related to future wolf management needs in Colorado.

Last edited by ribka; 01/27/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

An anti hunting eco NAZI posting on a hunting forum. lmao.

I know crazy right?

Wrong

Texan pretending to know something about elk and wolves. LOL

Stick to high fence corn fingers and hogs.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

That will piss off BHA

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Everybody believes in science when it tells them what they want to hear, but when it tells them something different than they believe, it’s dismissed as having an “agenda”.
Yup!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

That will piss off BHA

Again dough boy, and I will type real slow. Groups like BHA work within their mission statements.

Here is BHA’s.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters, and wildlife.

Fairly easy to understand, even for the short bus crowd.

FWIW again I am not a BHA member.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

You really think there isn't some who have a hidden agenda,
Hell just a few nights ago on local T.V there was a 2 part story on how much money the wolves in Yellowstone brought to Montana 30 million they claim, B.S.
You never heard them talk about the economy from hunters in the early 90's even Buzz admitted it was a [bleep] show well were did all those people stay, eat, buy [bleep] etc.
Take the litigation from one of the cases our wonderful Judge Malloy over Wolves coming off the endangered list were put back on the endangered list the group who won the case got there legal fees paid 325,000 so you dont think there's money not a driving factory, even grant money
given out to do " studies".

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey sherm, how many days a season do you spend hunting wolves and how many have you killed? Surely you are doing more to help out with wolves then just griping on the net.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey sherm, how many days a season do you spend hunting wolves and how many have you killed? Surely you are doing more to help out with wolves then just griping on the net.

Jesus H Christ all you wanna do is troll me for fuggs sake.
I dont have to prove [bleep] to you

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Really its just a simple question.

I will take it from the triggered response the answers are none and none.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Get a fugging life, its a lonely world when you have to come on net and call people names, berate and try to prove how much better you are, if thats what gives you the warm and fuzzy have at it

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/28/22.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

That will piss off BHA

Again dough boy, and I will type real slow. Groups like BHA work within their mission statements.

Here is BHA’s.

They respect that mission statement about as much as a lib respects the Constitution. When the $ tells them to bite their lip, they bite it. When they tell them to go advocate for wind farms in the backcountry, they break out the pot poms.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Why did the President of BHA, Land Tawney, become involved in so many anti gun policies and use his title as BHA president to push gun bans? Why has super star BHA member, Charles Post, teamed up with multi millionaire anti gun communists and produced gun ban videos on instagram?

Is that in BHA's mission statement?

BHA is a scam stealing millions from gullible members.,

Like Buzzy , who hunts on closed forest roads, you fail to provide any evidence to the contrary. lmao

That will piss off BHA

Here is BHA’s.

Last edited by ribka; 01/28/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Get a fugging life, its a lonely world when you have to come on net and call people names, berate and try to prove how much better you are, if thats what gives you the warm and fuzzy have at it

Caldumb, who doesn't even hunt or fish is paid to spread BHA propaganda on here,

Again BHA has not donate ONE CENT in the past decade too top all of the anti hunting legislation in New Mexico, California, Washington, Oregon etc. They have millions of dollars. Just a big scam

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Phuggin troll. You live in New Jersey and don't even hunt . lWhy does that BHA clown and president, Land Tawney, keep writing anti gun articles and work with crazy left politicians to enact gun bans?

Are anti gun laws and bans in the BHA mission statement?

Not one cent of BHA millions used to stop hunting seasons being shut down all over the west

lmao

Last edited by ribka; 01/28/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
]Here is BHA founder David Peterson, a left wing loo ie, attacking Colorado Bow hunters

Every five years, Colorado Parks and Wildlife revises its big game season structure, which determines how many licenses will be issued in various seasons for the next five years. That time is now, and if you are among the growing number of hunters who agree there are way too many of us out there in September (unlimited either-sex archery elk tags, plus deer, bear, pronghorn, grouse and muzzle-loading ), now is your chance to help spark needed change. Time is short, with the comment period ending Feb. 4, and I urge you to go online and fill out the opinion survey today. It only takes minutes.

Wildlife management in Colorado is dysfunctional, with science and public interest being overruled by politics and special interests. Please take this opportunity to tell CPW what we are seeing out there and how we feel about it.

If we who hunt in Colorado (residents and visitors alike) don’t speak up, then self-serving groups like the Colorado Bowhunter’s Association will continue to have their way at the expense of the wildlife resource and the vast majority of hunters. (And by the way, I am a bowhunter.)

As a group, we hunters are unsophisticated when it comes to biology and politics, always seeking more opportunity while refusing to sacrifice anything for the long-term good. Now is our chance to change that sad history. Please take the survey.

David Petersen, Dura
ngo

BTW BHA did nothing to stop wolf introduction into Colorado but attacked bow hunters

Is that in BHA's mission statement cal dumb?

COLORADO WOLF STATEMENT

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=ribka

If we who hunt in Colorado (residents and visitors alike) don’t speak up, then self-serving groups like the Colorado Bowhunter’s Association will continue to have their way at the expense of the wildlife resource and the vast majority of hunters. (And by the way, I am a bowhunter.)
[/quote]

Not about wolves but:

That is pretty much spot on. Anytime something comes up Colorado bow hunters get what they want. Examples Recently CPW decided they again do not have to wear orange during archery season.There were a lot of comments of restricting tags and separating seasons. Nada,they killed that.They whined like school children when the SW part of state went to draw archery from OTC. At least they didn't win that. If they had there way, they would shut down all other hunting season in September. Archery hunting has grown so dramatically in the last 5-10 years that OTC tags need to be further restricted

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/29/22.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I used to bow hunt...then everyone and their grandma started bowhunting. The september woods sounded like a cow calling contest...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

CBA is well organized and does have a great deal of influence in seasons and management of Colorado big game animals. This is why rifle hunting over the past 40+ years have seen seasons significantly shortened while archery seasons—despite dramatic advances in archery equipment—still enjoy the same length of deer and elk season since the early 60’s.

If I were the God of Colorado hunting regulations compound bows during archery season would be draw only.

And yes, I killed my first big game animal with a bow in 1971, and hope to kill more with a bow in the future.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I used to bow hunt...then everyone and their grandma started bowhunting. The september woods sounded like a cow calling contest...

Actually by the mid 80’s it sounded like an elk bugling contest, by the early 90’s it began sounding like a cow calling contest.😁

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The DOW really put it to the gun hunters last year when they shortened third rifle season so only 7 days, eliminating 2nd weekend of hunting. If you are a working stiff, you have to burn vacation to get any time in the woods. I wish they would just drop first rifle, make 2nd and 3rd season nine days again, and drop 4th season. The game numbers cannot sustain being hunted so hard.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The DOW really put it to the gun hunters last year when they shortened third rifle season so only 7 days, eliminating 2nd weekend of hunting. If you are a working stiff, you have to burn vacation to get any time in the woods. I wish they would just drop first rifle, make 2nd and 3rd season nine days again, and drop 4th season. The game numbers cannot sustain being hunted so hard.

I’d go along with that idea. At least give it a try for a few years and see how it works.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would agree, but many outfitters only offer a 5 day hunt. They would fight that because it would hurt business cutting two hunts out. The outfitting lobby is almost as strong ad the bow hunters and they would win. Also CPW would lose all that income from the1st and 4th season licenses and it would jam all hunters into two seasons. Hunters would bitch about over crowding and CPW will never give up an income.The likelihood of that happening is about the same as cutting archery season to two weeks instead of all of September

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/31/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't need to transplant wolves. They do that themselves if allowed enough time. It's not far from Yellowstone to Colorado. Nothing for wolves to travel as their population expands.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I'm sure pro wolf worshippers cal dumb and Buzzy of BHA fame will use their millions of dollars to get your seasons back. lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'd appreciate everyone leaving 4th season alone, its only 5 days, its always only been 5 days and is the closest a muley hunter gets to hunting the rut.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.