-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am going to need a layout blind for goose hunting harvested corn fields next season. I have a bad back. My question is; which ones have the most comfortable seat?

They are not cheap, hoping for some advice before spending the cash.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not a fan of blinds. Second shot out of a pit is like the first shot out of a blind. I also find them uncomfortable.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like this, https://www.cabelas.com/product/NORTHERN-FLIGHT-QUICK-SETUP-BLIND/3258588.uts?slotId=5

Very roomy and pretty solid construction. Has a Pillow built in which is nice. collapses fast and easily folds up nice and easy to carry.

I also have a Rig Em Right X-Factor that is very good also.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not allowed to dig a pit on crop lands.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Take a look at the Avery blinds...especially the Finisher. It works well for me and my bad back.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've used an early model Finisher blind for decades. It provided pretty decent back support though the rear support bar was a little high for best comfort. Later models have the bar curved downward which allowed the head to lay back which helped with comfort.

If one needed a firmer support for the back they could do as a buddy did for his dad. He took a piece of plywood and added a board on a hinge to the one end to make a ramp. A chaise lounge cushion was used for additional comfort. The hinge allowed the angle to be adjusted somewhat. A strip of Velcro from the board to the plywood as well as resting the board on the blind bag was used to hold the angle. It seemed to work well for them. I use a similar board set up in nice weather when I don't want to drag the blind around. Pull some stalks over your body and you blend in quickly and cheaply.

The greatest problem for me and my back problems was not the back rest but the recoil and upper body movement as one has only that part of the body above the waist to move with the recoil. Being able to stand or even shoot while kneeling helped considerably to alleviate the effects of recoil.

Another suggestion to look for is to buy a blind that has rather gentle or sloping angles. Blinds that have sharp angles tend to cast shadows when sunny and I have seen wary birds shy away from them. Assuming you are hunting in Texas, this can be a concern, particularly if hunting snows and/or cranes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Not allowed to dig a pit on crop lands.

OK... no PIT, but can you dig a 24" wide and 18-20 deep sloping hole, and pile the dirt behind you to provide a back rest? This is what we do and have our legs from the knee on out of the hole... VERY comfortable (think lounge chair) and we just fill in the hole before leaving.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 01/09/20.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No one is allowed to dig in these corn fields. Besides the ground is frozen solid.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Have an early model (earlier than the one linked above) Cabela's Northern Flight. It's fine when set up, but a PITA to get set up (connecting doors to frame is a bitch). Comfort-wise it's plenty comfy but I don't have back issues to speak of. I'd probably look at something else were I to buy another layout.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Have an early model (earlier than the one linked above) Cabela's Northern Flight. It's fine when set up, but a PITA to get set up (connecting doors to frame is a bitch). Comfort-wise it's plenty comfy but I don't have back issues to speak of. I'd probably look at something else were I to buy another layout.

They must have changed the design because mine as pictured in the link I posted is super easy to set up.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I had an issue with one of the layout blinds, I think it may have been the Northern Flight, in that it was a little short inside for me.
If you are moderately tall (I'm 6'5") you might check the interior length, remembering that you'll have added length with a hat and wader boots, etc.

Last edited by longarm; 01/10/20. Reason: Typo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’d figure out a way to use an A Frame blind. Hunt the edge, a pivot or just put in enough grass that it looks like a mound out in the middle of the field.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by longarm
I had an issue with one of the layout blinds, I think it may have been the Northern Flight, in that it was a little short inside for me.
If you are moderately tall (I'm 6'5") you might check the interior length, remembering that you'll have added length with a hat and wader boots, etc.

I am 6'4" and it is good. None of them are made for any of us tall guys.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.