Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I don't reload shotshells, but I am a huge fan of the 16ga for upland birds.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks Rick. I have been shooting 16s since I was a kid using my grandfathers Long Tom. Later I rescued an Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge from a pawn shop. When searching for quality 16 gauge ammo, I was disappointed with the quality of the cheap promo loads and by the price of the high end stuff, so I traded for a cheap Lee Load All II in 16 gauge. Now I reload a box or so every year for rabbits and varmints using components I have on hand from loading 20 gauge ammo, except for cases and wads of course. My hand loads using magnum shot outperform the cheap stuff by far and cost no more extra than a little time above the cost of the Wally World cheapies that cannot be counted on to be in stock.

I
I
Thanks for hosting us Rick. I have a Marlin 90 and use it for pheasants, sporting clays and an occasional round of trap.

T
T
Rick,

Thanks for hosting! Maybe we can convert more shooters over to the 16.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been a 16 Gauge shooter since I was a boy. Currently own three 16 Ga shotguns (Belgian Auto-5, Winchester M12 pump, Citori O/U) but don't reload for them. Guess I could learn! Glad to see a dedicated 16 Ga sub-forum here.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

Checking in from the Yahoo 16 gauge group. Thank you for hosting the data.

C
C
Carl_G, also known as Carlos on 16ga.com. I was a member of this forum in the past but dropped it as I had too many forums on the go. I was also a member of BOTH Yahoo 16 gauge reloading forums. So now here we are, ready to go. Thanks 24hourcampfire for hosting our reloading forum.

Now we have to find that old Husqvarna site that disappeared on us a couple of years back.

Last edited by Carl_G; 11/23/19.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This is great! I just mentioned up above that we need a 16 gauge forum and was told we have one! I grew up on a 16 gauge Ithaca 37 which was lost in a duck hunting mishap right before I went in the Navy in '67. As soon as I got out I replaced it. That 37 is now in the hands of one of my sons. Currently I have a 16 Fox Sterlingworth, a 16 gauge "hardware store" gun made by Fulton Arms (LC Smith) and a Merkel 1620. I had a 16 Ithaca SxS by my brother just had to have it, so he does. At 71, I have more guns than I need, (I know, I know( but most are in my sons' hands now, I only have 40 or 50 at home. If I get any more shotguns they will be nothing but 16 gauge. Now that I think of it, I should cruise the lgs's and pawn shops this weekend.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
This is great! I just mentioned up above that we need a 16 gauge forum and was told we have one! I grew up on a 16 gauge Ithaca 37 which was lost in a duck hunting mishap right before I went in the Navy in '67. As soon as I got out I replaced it. That 37 is now in the hands of one of my sons. Currently I have a 16 Fox Sterlingworth, a 16 gauge "hardware store" gun made by Fulton Arms (LC Smith) and a Merkel 1620. I had a 16 Ithaca SxS by my brother just had to have it, so he does. At 71, I have more guns than I need, (I know, I know( but most are in my sons' hands now, I only have 40 or 50 at home. If I get any more shotguns they will be nothing but 16 gauge. Now that I think of it, I should cruise the lgs's and pawn shops this weekend.

WTH!!!

Are you my doppelganger? wink

Rough count here shows I have a dozen 16's of every flavor from better drillings, to SXS, to autoloader, to pump, to bolt action, to single shot. Maybe we need an intervention? grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by luv2safari

WTH!!!

Rough count here shows I have a dozen 16's of every flavor from better drillings, to SXS, to autoloader, to pump, to bolt action, to single shot. Maybe we need an intervention? grin

Maybe we need more 16's.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WTH!!!

Maybe we need more 16's.

I like your idea better. This one was just delivered an hour ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That is a beautiful shotgun, whos the maker/engraver ,that kind of skill is long ago gone !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a Nagel & Menz drilling, made in 1887. Check out the combination threads for more information. wink

It just arrived three hours ago. My 2 1/2" light loaded ammo should show up Monday. The rifle barrel under the two shot barrels is chambered in 10X47R, a mild old black powder load. I'll make brass from 9.5X47R brass necked up to 40 cal/10mm.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This one was just delivered an hour ago.

Oh, is that something special!!!! Very nice....

laissez les bons temps rouler
N
N
I found it, thanks for hosting!

I'm also loading more bismuth these days for a Belgian made 3-shot A5, a field grade LC Smith, and an Ithaca 37!

This was also enough to make me finally post to the campfire after a couple of years of lurking.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 12/04/19.
G
G
Hi Dogs
I am in the UK too 😊

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have two 16's, a Winchester Model 12 and a Western Arms (by Ithaca) double barrel.

NRA Endowment Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
well as a kid i started with a 16 gauge for bird hunting a model 11 Remington with 2 different barrels imp/full still own that shot gun and a Russian single shot too. my dear uncle Stanley was the designer and engineer at Federal Cartridge on all the crimps for plastic shotgun ammo in all gauges his name is on the patent too,he also helped pick out the colors for each gauge on shotgun ammo and that is why 16 gauge got purple so no one would mistake it for 12 gauge ammo. Federal along with my uncle choice the colors > 10 gauge brown,12 gauge red,16 gauge purple,20 gauge yellow,28 gauge brown,410 gauge red i got to see all this shotgun ammo before the public even knew about these colors for plastic shotgun shells. as a 14 year old kid shooter/hunter i had no ideal how big a deal this really was in the world to shotgunners all around the world.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry ol boys. Didn't check in here before I posted a thread. I have the 37 ftwt that don't eject empties from the chamber. Bought it because I used to shoot the hell out of my grandpas 37 ftwt and it went to another family member when he passed away years ago. Love a 16ga.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two old Charles Daly sxs I love hunting birds with in 16ga. Also have a couple Win M12 Skeet grade solid rib 16ga with WS-1 and Mod choke barrels.

Glad to see a place here dedicated to 16 gauge shooters.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.