Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What is the history of the Winchester 70 pushfeed models? I recently bought one dated back to the early 1980s and I was curious to the reasons why Winchester went to a push feed.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
This will give you a little background to the M70, they went to push feed for a while, the back to the CRF along with the CRPF.. hope this helps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_70

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Is it a cap style breech on the bolt? Or does it have the button indicator in the center of the bolt?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The original model 70 didn't just fall off a cliff in 1964. Quality had been in steady decline since WW-2. With manufacturing technology of the time it was a lot more expensive to produce CRF than PF and the much cheaper Rem 700 and other PF rifles were hurting sales. Winchester had to make a decision in 1964. Either let quality decline further, raise prices in order to get the quality acceptable, or build a cheaper rifle. They chose the cheaper to manufacture PF.

But quality still suffered. The PF rifles of the 60's and 70's had some spotty QC and some ugly stocks. At least in my opinion. The Winchester name was sold to investors in the early 80's who renamed the company United States Repeating Arms Company. For a while they used both the Winchester name, but had USRAC stamped on them too. They made some budget guns with cheap wood. The 670 was one as well as a 770 and the Ranger. For a while they made one version with a Remington style 2 position safety.

The top of the line XTR's were VERY nice rifles however. They continued making the XTR's until 1992 when CRF was brought back and named the "Classic". Winchester continued making PF rifles right up until they closed the doors in 2006. But the PF rifles were the budget line of rifles while the Classics with CRF were the top end rifles. By the 1990's modern computer controlled machinery made it much more economically feasible to produce CRF.

I wouldn't feel the least bit handicapped with one of the XTR's made from about 1980 until 1992.

Last edited by JMR40; 01/12/20.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Succinctly put.

I had a couple 60's vintage PF's long ago and as fugly as I thought they were, I hate to admit it but they shot outstandingly well. They went away and next came an XTR Fw't, 6.5x55 which also tickled me no end with its ability. That though was the newest M70 I ever owned. I now prefer to stumble around the world of pre-64 70's, and 54's, when it comes to Winchester bolt guns.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JMR40

I wouldn't feel the least bit handicapped with one of the XTR's made from about 1980 until 1992.

I will echo that sentiment....really nice rifles...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've owned several. Still have a 270 ftw that ain't going anywhere.

No complaints.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am going to be buried with one in 300 win Mag. We went through too many adventures to not be buried with it and 101 rounds of ammo.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've got a '90s M70 Classic SS with the CRF and Boss system I bought new back in the day, and its not going anywhere either!

Last edited by hunt4570; 01/13/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I own a post-64 Sears Model 53, aka Model 70, in 30-06. It is as accurate a big game rifle as one could wish. Yes, it isn't controlled round feed, but it feeds just fine. I took it to Colorado on an elk hunt in 2018, picking it over several other "better" rifles in my gun safe. If quality went south with the post-64 rifles, it certainly wasn't in barrel quality.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But quality still suffered. The PF rifles of the 60's and 70's had some spotty QC and some ugly stocks. At least in my opinion. The Winchester name was sold to investors in the early 80's who renamed the company United States Repeating Arms Company. For a while they used both the Winchester name, but had USRAC stamped on them too. They made some budget guns with cheap wood. The 670 was one as well as a 770 and the Ranger. For a while they made one version with a Remington style 2 position safety.
This isn't correct. Or at least it's poorly worded. The post-'63 rifle was largely corrected in 1968 with the addition of the anti-bind feature on the bolt, steel floor plate, and better-looking stock. (The little Wikipedia link covers this as well.) The inexpensive models -- the Models 670 and 770 -- were introduced and discontinued in the '70s BEFORE there was a USRAC. (Though USRAC did later make the Model 70 Ranger.) The XTR version appeared in 1978 BEFORE there was a USRAC and the Featherweight was reintroduced in 1981 BEFORE there was a USRAC. USRAC was formed and took over Winchester's U.S. firearms manufacturing concerns in late spring 1981.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an M70 XTR in 7x57. I think it was made in 1982.

The fit and finish of that rifle is superb, and I am pretty hard on guns, especially M70s.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The only rifle the XTR plays second fiddle to is the P-64 IMO. Very nice rifles. Some I wish I still had.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TomM1
The only rifle the XTR plays second fiddle to is the P-64 IMO. Very nice rifles. Some I wish I still had.

Agreed. My 1980 Model in 7x57 is as nice as it gets.
Quality is excellent, action is glass smooth, and mine has always been super accurate with a variety of loads.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hunt4570
I've got a '90s M70 Classic SS with the CRF and Boss system I bought new back in the day, and its not going anywhere either!

I have a pushfeed SS made in 1992 that I found at a not so local dealer that was unfired and has sat on the rack for more then 2 decades. It does not have the boss and it is chambered in 300 win. I put it on consignment and I think it finally sold.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by hunt4570

I have a pushfeed SS made in 1992 that I found at a not so local dealer that was unfired and has sat on the rack for more then 2 decades. It does not have the boss and it is chambered in 300 win. I put it on consignment and I think it finally sold.

If I may ask, what did it go for?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My 1980 Model in 7x57 is as nice as it gets.
Not introduced until 1981.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ingwe

I will echo that sentiment....really nice rifles...

My research supports the climb back to higher quality as you move forward from 1964 and the A and B models.

I tend to believe that the real craftsmen (there are always some) among the staff preferred to create a high quality product.

There are writings which indicate that there was a "bitter" strike from sometime in 1979 to some point (perhaps December) of 1980. The board made the decision to sell the plant in December 1980. The strike was reportedly a Machinists strike. Without knowing someone who was there at the time it is hard to judge the effect on quality, however production volumes were way down in '79 and '80.

I have seen no information as to whether production continued with parts in inventory, or if some other solution was found. They did, however continue to build model 70 rifles.

Use this information as you will in valuing a rifle that you are considering.
Typically lower production allows for better QC, but disgruntled workers, worker shortages, or substitute workers may counteract this tendency.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/13/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got lucky and bought a short action push feed model 70 308 carbine here on the campfire. I believe it is the best model 70 for the $ ever.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My 1980 Model in 7x57 is as nice as it gets.
Not introduced until 1981.

So why do sn on some the xtr's have 1980 dom? Don't go all bricktop on us either. Just asking a honest question..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.