Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

Just thought I'd put this out there.

David Royal and I are booking an outfitted Wyoming muley hunt together for this Oct.1-5. The outfitter says he takes very few hunters for deer on this ranch, so he only has room for just 2 more hunters. If anyone on this Savage page thinks they might like to throw in with us, PM or email me. A few guys had expressed interest when I posted, this past fall, about going back.We thought it might be cool to get a couple more guys together and put some blood on a few 99's.

If you'd rather do a 3 day pronghorn hunt within those same dates, that is also available, as is a muley/pronghorn combo.

This is the same outfitter and accommodations that I used for my pronghorn hunt this past fall and I can't say enough about the great experience I had. While I was there, I saw 8 muleys brought into the skinning shed, and 6 of them made my jaw drop! I only got pics of one and it was certainly not the biggest. Also a photo taken by a pronghorn hunter that didn't have a muley tag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you need preference points to draw those deer tags and if so how many?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any other year, I'd be begging for more details!
Sounds like a dandy trip! Daughter gets married 10/10 and I hunt SE Montana every year. That season usually is about the 20th, so October days will be at a premium this year!
Good luck, and let us know how you do!
Ed
What part of Wyoming?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would love to but this year is going to be developing property.

LOL
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
PM sent

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going over there because the big ones here don't come down out of the mountains until deer season is over. I've never gotten a mule deer so I'm looking forward to it. Now I have to figure out which 99 to take. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 99guy
Do you need preference points to draw those deer tags and if so how many?

The outfitter says draw odds are very good since there is so much private land and so little public. A point or two probably couldn't hurt. Then again, you could always put in for the pricier Special draw tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No hunting out of state this year for me except for my annual Pa archery hunt and WV weekend with Joe.

Have to many other time and money obligations for 20.

I'll have 7 Wyoming elk points, 5 mule deer points and 3 antelope points for 21 though...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Damn! Too bad! We would have had a good time.
So, I guess that means you worked out that property deal. Congratulations!!! Good for you. man.
Hey, you're still young, and I'm almost still youngish. laugh I'll be doing something again next year. Maybe we'll do something then.

In the meantime, maybe we'll see you at Joe's Pa. Rendezvous.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/11/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
. Now I have to figure out which 99 to take. David

Anything 300 or 308 would be my choice....

~Admiral Yamamoto~

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Would I have to use a Savage?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No 50BMG's, you have to get closer.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Would I have to use a Savage?

I think it's legal in Wyoming to use something other than a 99.

Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, what of yours would you take for muley?

~Admiral Yamamoto~

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Probably the one you saw at Joe's camp- Ruger #1 6.5x55.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Probably the one you saw at Joe's camp- Ruger #1 6.5x55.

What bullet would you stuff into that case?

~Admiral Yamamoto~

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Either the 130 Berger VLD or Lapua 139 Scenar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Damn! Too bad! We would have had a good time.
So, I guess that means you worked out that property deal. Congratulations!!! Good for you. man.
Hey, you're still young, and I'm almost still youngish. laugh I'll be doing something again next year. Maybe we'll do something then.

In the meantime, maybe we'll see you at Joe's Pa. Rendezvous.

Working on getting the place. Not done, just optimistic.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I always have to be a bit different, and I sold my 1895 Winchester in 35 Winchester, so if it wasn't my 250R, it might be my Ruger #3 in 25-35. I just have to get closer or pass.

Edit: In a pinch, I could always have the .375 Winchester barrel put back on it, but I don't think so.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 01/12/20.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe I should get the switch barrel 99G dialed in and use the 300 barrel for mule deer and the 250 barrel for antelope.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
That hunt is just screaming for a 99 in 284 !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could take my old scratched up DL in 284

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I always have to be a bit different, and I sold my 1895 Winchester in 35 Winchester, so if it wasn't my 250R, it might be my Ruger #3 in 25-35. I just have to get closer or pass.

Edit: In a pinch, I could always have the .375 Winchester barrel put back on it, but I don't think so.

You get all the way to Wyoming and write that check for the hunt, and bust your balls up and down those hills and sage brush 8-10 hours a day, you don't want to have to "pass" on the buck of a lifetime because you didn't bring the right gun.

Trust me.

Ask me how I know....

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could take my old scratched up DL in 284

OK. 300/308 or 284. Forgot that one.

grin

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wish my 5 Lotto tickets would pay off. mad cry

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

You get all the way to Wyoming and write that check for the hunt, and bust your balls up and down those hills and sage brush 8-10 hours a day, you don't want to have to "pass" on the buck of a lifetime because you didn't bring the right gun.

Trust me.

Ask me how I know....

There is always the K in 300.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Trust me.

Ask me how I know....

There you go....
grin

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Trust me.

Ask me how I know....

There you go....
grin

I shouldn't admit this but I'll probably take the 300 Weatherby along as a backup. But I'll only use it if it's a big buck more than 300 yds. away.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Trust me.

Ask me how I know....

There you go....
grin

I shouldn't admit this but I'll probably take the 300 Weatherby along as a backup. But I'll only use it if it's a big buck more than 300 yds. away.

Actually...That ain't a bad plan

You can bust one at 450 with the Weatherby and then get the pics with the Savage.

laugh laugh laugh

~Admiral Yamamoto~

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The times I hunted Wyoming for mule deer/antelope (and mind you my paltry experience does not make me an expert) I was prepared mightily for the fabled 2-3-400 yard shots that filled the blood sports magazines. Rifle of choice: scoped Mannlicher-Schoenauer .257 Roberts, dialed in at 300 yards and trajectories before and beyond that distance memorized, and rigorous practice under windy conditions to know what to expect and how to deal with it. Longest shot on any of the beasts? About 60 yards (16" antelope 3" at the base).

My outfitter liked me as I was one of his few clients who didn't mind infantry-crawling through sage and prickly pear to stalk a close shot. He quipped about "back East sniper wannabe's", only partly in jest. Had I known that things would be like that I would've pulled the scope off the rifle ahead of time. But then, sure as sh*t, there would've stood the Grand Daddy of all Muleys silhouetted on a ridge 350 yards away with no cover between me and him...

...and I'm here to tell you I ain't a gonna do any belly crawling through cactus no more!!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/12/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather have to much gun for the 60 yard shot than not enough gun for the 350 yard shot.

These hunts are a big investment in preparation, time, effort and money.

You do not want to get caught with your pants down.

You will never forgive yourself. grin

~Admiral Yamamoto~

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I'll probably take along the '56 or '59 99F 300 that I don't own yet. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't misrepresent shooting a critter with the Weatherby.
I mentioned in the 284F post that I would take the 284 DL for the shots over 300 yds. Maybe I should take the Weatherby along for the shots over 400 yds and the DL for shots over 300 yds and the switch barrel 99G 250-3000/ 300 Sav for the close shots. I wonder how the outfitter would feel about a hunter bringing 3 or 4 rifles?

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For anyone who is in to tourist stuff Newcastle is real close to the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument.

wyo1895
[email protected]

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Odly I am trying to talk my wife into a mule dear hunt in that area, I hear a good chance of drawing the first application? When does the application period begin?

She is not having any part of it so far

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Devils tower a bit north.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the switch barrel 99G 250-3000/ 300 Sav for the close shots.

David, how does this rifle feed with both types of ammo being different in shape and all?

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The outfitter said I could buy a license over the counter after I got there but then I'm a Wyoming resident. Non-residents may have to apply ahead of time.
My wife will probably come along and do the tourist thing. She doesn't want any part of seeing bambi getting blown away. Maybe the tourist thing would encourage your wife to come along. They could explore the sights together.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I loaded the magazine full with both types of bullets and they fed fine. I will work with it some more before I take it hunting just to be sure.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I loaded the magazine full with both types of bullets and they fed fine. I will work with it some more before I take it hunting just to be sure.

I would love to know which carrier and cartridge guide your rifle has!

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Should be the original 300 Savage 99G parts. The rifle is real clean and unmolested looking except that it was D&T'd. I use 100 grain bullets in the 250-3000. Maybe that helped. The 250 barrel is a Westfield barrel with 1 in 10 twist.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
thanks David. I may have to pull my 300 G out and see if she feeds 250's. Not sure I've ever tried it.

LOL
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
For anyone who is in to tourist stuff Newcastle is real close to the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument.

Anybody flying into Rapid City will pass right by it on the way to The Flying V in Newcastle.
BTW, it's only about an hour and a half drive.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/13/20.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ctw
Odly I am trying to talk my wife into a mule dear hunt in that area, I hear a good chance of drawing the first application? When does the application period begin?

She is not having any part of it so far

WGFD website says deer and antelope apps. accepted now. Deadline is 6/1 this year.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Last chance. Time is running out. The outfitter needs some deposits to hold the last 2 spots or he's going to have to let them go. If you've been considering this, like my dad used to say, it's time to schitt or get off the pot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very interested, I have been looking at booking a hunt this year or next and just saw this. PM sent

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.