Print Thread
Hop To
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Planning for this year gonna apply for said permit. Dates are November 14th to December 6th. What’s the best week for the rut down there? Pm works fine too. Thanks

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey Judman,
Im pretty sure we have a few members from that area, you may well have heard from them already.
I'm north of there in the mid valley and think of the rut as Halloween to Thanksgiving around here. Trim a week off either end of that and that's the good stuff.
Hope you draw the tag and find a good buck!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not an Oregon resident anymore but I have hunted and logged the south slope of the same range on the Calif side of the line for years. Other than strange weather anomalies (which seem to happen more frequently) the blacktail seem to migrate down with the weather. When you get a few inches of snow on Elliot Cr ridge and Donomore Pk, Dutch, they will be on the move. They will bunch up to move and then I think the rut is on. If there is such a thing as an average year, it would be pretty hard to beat Thanksgiving week.I imagine Seafire forgot more on this subject than I ever knew.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by longarm
Hey Judman,
Im pretty sure we have a few members from that area, you may well have heard from them already.
I'm north of there in the mid valley and think of the rut as Halloween to Thanksgiving around here. Trim a week off either end of that and that's the good stuff.
Hope you draw the tag and find a good buck!

Copy that pard, got some great intel already..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hey judman after talking to you I was trying to remember the guy from here that lives over east of here. He goes by T O M here. I think if you go 40 miles east of me you stand an even better chance of a booner. Look up T O M and see if he' got something.

LOL
IC B2

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, he shot me a pm, thanks Roy.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you got a tag for the Applegate unit... the rut is going pretty well by November...

go out toward Applegate Lake, and there is some good hunting out that way, although not easy open country hunting..
some big ones can be found toward the end of the reservoir there... you are within spittin distance of the California line..

another good spot is out east on Hwy 66 of Ashland.. up around an area call Copco Road...that runs south of 66,
but I don't think that is in the Applegate Unit...

IIRC, the Applegate Unit, is the CA state line to the south...I 5 on one side and US 199 on the other..
Parker Mountain on the road over to Happy Camp CA is also a spot that have a lot of deer...get off of US 199 south or Rough and Ready area, and head toward Takilma...once ya hit Takilma, head on up the mountain road toward Happy Camp...there is a rest area and parking area on Parker Mountain, for cross country skiing, snowmobiling etc..I've hunted that area.. there are a lot of deer in that area, and its not a bad hunting area..might not hurt to carry a side arm tho... there are cougars in that area..
I've had a few stalk me in that area...could tell by paw prints in the snow....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,522
Posts18,452,750
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.