Print Thread
Hop To
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Booked a trip for June 2021 for Cape Buffalo in the Caprivi with Kowas Safaris. We will tour Namibia for a week or more either before or after the hunt.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You will LOVE it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks Ingwe.

We hunted and toured Namibia in 2009 for a month and always wanted to go back.

We hunted south of Etosha with Byseewah, shark fished from shore on the skeleton coast, toured the desert and took the train from Swakupmund (spelling?) to Windhoek.

We are going to start planning our touring and will keep burning powder through the .375.

I’ve tried to emulate Elks by hunting gophers with the .375.

I hope this day finds you well and happy.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by GRF
Thanks Ingwe.

We hunted and toured Namibia in 2009 for a month and always wanted to go back.

We hunted south of Etosha with Byseewah, shark fished from shore on the skeleton coast, toured the desert and took the train from Swakupmund (spelling?) to Windhoek.

We are going to start planning our touring and will keep burning powder through the .375.

I’ve tried to emulate Elks by hunting gophers with the .375.

I hope this day finds you well and happy.

grin

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by elkhunternm; 01/12/20.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good that you already know what the country is like. The Caprivi is different, but you'll love it too. My first safari was just south of Etosha, literally on the fence.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
GRF:

Since you haven't been there since 09, be prepared to be shocked by the amount of development all over the country. Industrial/commercial around the airport (Hosea Katako and Eros both). The housing developments from the airport into town and pretty much all the way around it. The downtown CBD is nearly the same except for the Hilton and the new National Museum at the top of "the hill", and the addition of several shopping malls in the CBD and there are 4-5 shopping malls now around the various parts of the city away from the CBD etc. LOTS of Chinese shops and restaurants as well as Chinese and North Koreans running all over the place. Lots of new multi-story apartments/condos all over town and the outlying property all around the city.

They were just starting to "improve" the road from the A/P to Windhoek this past Aug. The main road from Windhoek north to Oakahandja (B1) is now just about all four lane.

Since you mentioned Swakop, if you go back the downtown CBD is pretty much the same but the surrounding areas are now full of housing developments. If the last time you were in Swakop you drove the beach road to Walvis Bay, nearly that entire stretch called Long Beach, is now up scale housing developments from the road west to the beach and waters edge.

I could go on for a page or two but you get the idea. We're back there every year and it's still hard to believe all the development going on there.

I presume that since you've been there you understand the size of the country and drive times. I think it is something like 600k from Windhoek to the western "entry" to the Caprivi and then another day's drive to the eastern boarder and Vic Falls. Since you're closer to Vic Falls and Chobe NP, than just about anything in the rest of Namibia, I'd recommend you spend your free tour time in Vic Falls (good for about 3-full days) and Chobe NP for a day or two. If you're taking your own rifles, suggest you ask your last Namibia hotel/B&B, if they would store you rifles while you go to Vic Falls (Zim) or Chobe NP (Bots) and avoid all the temp import hassles, and pick them up on your way back - Unless you decide to fly back from Vic Falls or Maun (Bots).

You're going to have a great time with your planning and a great trip....but then you already know that!

G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
M3, we have heard about the increase in development and the Chinese influx. Both were just beginning to show in 2009.

As one Namibian acquaintance said “China is colonizing Africa one billion dollar loan at a time”

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice. I am in the throws of deciding on a Caprivi buff hunt (though with Shona Safaris) myself.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
EdM:

Shona = Johann Veldsmann (sp?) Know him. His normal place is in the NW part of Namibia near this village of Kamanjab. His lodge and facilities are on the banks of the Hoab river. Seems to be a good guy. His place is next to my good friend's place Sebra Hunting Safaris, Jan du Plessis. Johan will show you a good time.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
GRF, you're going to have fun! Congratulations on your planned trip. EdM I hunted with Johann in October this year, for buffalo in the Caprivi and plains game at his home place. I was very satisfied with the experience.

Last edited by castnblast; 01/15/20.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.