Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Title says it all. Looking for something better than the 10+ year old bino harness I've been using. Like that both of these have the ability to carry a few small items and have the rangefinder and/or phone in/on them as well as being able to carry a sidearm should I choose too.

Like the ability to use the Kit bag without the bino pouch attached. But it does seem like it would be a bit bulkier than the FHF.

Any thoughts between the two would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you're only wanting to carry a few small items- the FHF in the appropriate size is going to be quite a bit trimmer; firearm carry w/ the FHF is pretty easy- Razco makes a holster setup just for the FHF

I have a small kitbag (Snubby) that I use a fair bit, but it's w/o binos

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use a HPG Heavy Recon Kit bag to carry my binos (10X42 Leica) rangefinder, and a pistol. You can get most any pistol in there, but a revolver does tend to jab you in the sternum with the cylinder if there is a pair of binos hammering on it. Autos are great.

I think a bino pouch added to my setup would be too much, but it might be just perfect with the recon.

I like the concealment/protection that the kit bag gives you, and I doubt you'll regret getting one, even if it doesn't become your goto bino carrier.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Have you considered Alaska Guide Creations?

I have their largest model and really like it. I can keep my 8x42mm binoculars, a knife, headlamp, LRF, lighter & firestarters, and tiny space blanket all in it so that if I got separated from my pack I’d be able to get by.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021528989

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've zero experience with HPG, but that Recon Kit does look intriguing. It also looks REALLY bulky which is one reason I can't stand Alaska Guide Creations harness.

I am all about FHF harnesses....have three of them. I also have several of the Razco holsters like Mtwarden, and have no reason to veer away from that system. I carried a .454 Casull and those 15X Meoptas when getting my WY ek out this year, and it was way more comfortable than I thought it would be even with so much weight.

IC B2

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the Recon with bino pouch. The bino pouch either carries Zeiss Conquest 10x42s or a camera set up. It works fine with my G20, and my typical minimal load in the front pocket. Personally, I wouldn't go with the Heavy Recon and that load. I have no experience with the FHF stuff, but personally can't picture 15x binos and Casull with any rig. Power to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which is exactly my point...with the FHF and the Razco, it was way more comfortable than I thought it would be.

The HPG sounds like it has a following though, and I suspect for good reason.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank everyone for the discussion and pros/cons. Doubt there's really a bad choice between the two, as I think either would be better than I have.

I tend to drive myself in circles and my wife crazy when looking at getting stuff like this. Heck, maybe I should get both and say one's for the boys.... wink

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like the prefect solution. I don’t always carry a pistol when rifle hunting, and have considered a dedicated bino pouch for that scenario. Kids make great excuses for gear.

Last edited by CCH; 01/04/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pointer- do it and let us know how it works, and I'll do the same with the Decker. smile

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
After using most of the bino pouches out there I have settled on the Badlands magnetics and believe they are the best option by a good bit. You can wear the Gunfighters Kenai holster under them and it works out very well. I spent a week or so trying this out (the pistol was a S&W mdl 69) and was extremely pleased with the set up. No compromise accessing the pistol and no binding or "dig in" at all.

Wore this while carrying an Eberlestock J1 pack loaded medium heavy. I like the HPG snubby pack and use mine mostly to carry a S&W mdl 60 but even with the smaller revolver it tends to dig in more than I like and it's more difficult to draw the pistol, also a greater chance of flubbing the draw (in my experience). The big advantage of the HPG is concealment of course.

It looks like the Razco holster may ride a bit low for what I prefer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]imagehosting

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]homestyle cooking restaurants

Last edited by davidlea; 01/11/20.

Golden............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I sure like that set-up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by davidlea
After using most of the bino pouches out there I have settled on the Badlands magnetics and believe they are the best option by a good bit. You can wear the Gunfighters Kenai holster under them and it works out very well. I spent a week or so trying this out (the pistol was a S&W mdl 69) and was extremely pleased with the set up. No compromise accessing the pistol and no binding or "dig in" at all.

Wore this while carrying an Eberlestock J1 pack loaded medium heavy. I like the HPG snubby pack and use mine mostly to carry a S&W mdl 60 but even with the smaller revolver it tends to dig in more than I like and it's more difficult to draw the pistol, also a greater chance of flubbing the draw (in my experience). The big advantage of the HPG is concealment of course.

That looks like a massive clusterf_ck to me. If it works for you that is great. But I'll stick to FHF and Razco. Straps on top of straps just isn't comfortable, add the backpack to it and that is a huge no thank you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by davidlea

That looks like a massive clusterf_ck to me. If it works for you that is great. But I'll stick to FHF and Razco. Straps on top of straps just isn't comfortable, add the backpack to it and that is a huge no thank you.

Thanks for your input, use what works for you. I know a clusterf when I see or use one and this isn't.

Golden............
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One mistake that all the companies make is not putting the straps at an angle on the pouch. They all sew them vertically. A slight angle would improve the straps location across your shoulders.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.