Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Perception is reality. Any marketing person at Colt should know that.

As someone noted earlier in this thread, this is a Mustang:

[Linked Image from img.jamesedition.com]

And according to Ford, this is also a Mustang:

[Linked Image from hemmings.com]

But to people who appreciated the first one, the second one is more properly referred to as "a hollow imitation of a Mustang".

Maybe Colt could have been honest and just called this the Python Mark II.

Cars have always changed with each new year, firearms not so much. Traditionally when firearms undergo radical changes they are a of different designation. There are of course a few exceptions

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skip to 1:55. That show would have ended right here if the cylinder didn't rotate or he had a light primer strike.

Now whether the show should have ended right here is a topic for another discussion... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm good with my original...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You been enjoying it?

Have not shot it yet, Hawk,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was simply a visual metaphor, not an attempt to divert this thread into a discussion of vehicle designations.

My point is that Colt either doesn't know their market or if they did, then they blew it.

The Python was the flagship of the Colt line or at least their double action revolver line. The current and upcoming demographic predominantly favors semi-autos by a big margin so this had to appeal to buyers for the same reason the original did. And like blue steel and walnut bolt action rifles, the guys who grew up with and appreciate the original Python are generally older and share some common values.

The high prices on original Colt Pythons are due to its mystique, the mystique of "hand fitting" in a world of CNC and cast parts, not its value as a shooter that if you go by price alone is 3 to 5 times better than anything else. It was an icon for a lot of those traditional values embraced by the older demographic.

If Colt said "this is better than the original", then fine. I think a lot of shooters, not collectors but shooters, are willing to give Colt the benefit of the doubt. And then this happens.

They might still be able pull this out of the fire but they quite literally shot themselves in the foot releasing the (fanfare of trumpets here) "Better Than The Old Python" Python, and then having major quality control issues right out of the gate.

I hope they do manage to recover some face from this, they need to.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
That was simply a visual metaphor, not an attempt to divert this thread into a discussion of vehicle designations.

My point is that Colt either doesn't know their market or if they did, then they blew it.

The Python was the flagship of the Colt line or at least their double action revolver line. The current and upcoming demographic predominantly favors semi-autos by a big margin so this had to appeal to buyers for the same reason the original did. And like blue steel and walnut bolt action rifles, the guys who grew up with and appreciate the original Python are generally older and share some common values.

The high prices on original Colt Pythons are due to its mystique, the mystique of "hand fitting" in a world of CNC and cast parts, not its value as a shooter that if you go by price alone is 3 to 5 times better than anything else. It was an icon for a lot of those traditional values embraced by the older demographic.

If Colt said "this is better than the original", then fine. I think a lot of shooters, not collectors but shooters, are willing to give Colt the benefit of the doubt. And then this happens.

They might still be able pull this out of the fire but they quite literally shot themselves in the foot releasing the (fanfare of trumpets here) "Better Than The Old Python" Python, and then having major quality control issues right out of the gate.

Spit on

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Again it is a Python. It ain’t the same action as the original much like 1964 brought a change for Winchester designs. At least Colt has the decency to wait a few years and not change midstream. The original may be referred to as a pre-2020 (or whatever year they stopped production) or the new one as a 2020 Python however collectors want to call it but just like a post 64 Winchester Model 70 it will still be a Python even if in name only. I truly hope it is a success and also hope that they will bring out a high polish blued version.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by pacecars
Again it is a Python. It ain’t the same action as the original much like 1964 brought a change for Winchester designs. At least Colt has the decency to wait a few years and not change midstream. The original may be referred to as a pre-2020 (or whatever year they stopped production) or the new one as a 2020 Python however collectors want to call it but just like a post 64 Winchester Model 70 it will still be a Python even if in name only. I truly hope it is a success and also hope that they will bring out a high polish blued version.

It is more s Trooper with a vent ribbed barrel. Winchester sh it the bed calling the post 64 a m70 when the 2 had nothing in common

Winchester never recovered from that disaster

Last edited by jwp475; 01/16/20.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Are you thinking of it as an investment instead of a shooter? Can't blame you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Colt is starting from scratch. The old guys who forged the internals and fitted them together aren't around anymore.
Taurus, Smith and Ruger know how to make revolvers. Colt forgot.

P.S.
I'd like to see someone pop the sideplate and see who they copied.

Last edited by night_owl; 01/16/20.

abusus non tollit usum
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by pacecars

It is more s Trooper with a vent ribbed barrel. Winchester sh it the bed calling the post 64 a m70 when the 2 had nothing in common

Winchester never recovered from that disaster

Maybe Colt will do better? Who knows they may go the Winchester route and introduce a “Classic” Python like They did with the Model 70.

First thing they really need to do is get the hell out of Connecticut

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by night_owl
I think Colt is starting from scratch. The old guys who forged the internals and fitted them together aren't around anymore.

P.S.

Me too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by night_owl

P.S.

Me too.

We have a 32nd level super-secret insider on this thread. Maybe they could enlighten us.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't know. One day I might just get a hankering. I'm primarily a rifle shooter, but I do like the Pythons..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I don't know. One day I might just get a hankering. I'm primarily a rifle shooter, but I do like the Pythons..

Shooting guns is way overrated.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I got my 6 inch Python today. I put 50 rounds through it at the range and I'm really impressed. I've always wanted one, but couldn't pay upwards of $2700. Shoots great, with no issues at all. I'm not well versed on all things Python, so a detailed comparison would have to come from someone else. Bottom line, I love it!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Grew up shooting pythons.
Will buy a new version and hunt/ shoot the piss out of it.
So it aint the same.
Big whoop.

Got an original? Goody. Let the grandkids shoot it on nice sunny days once a yr.

Am not a collector or buy guns as monetary investments.
Do think nice guns are an investment in living.
The more I pay for something rhe more Im gonna shoot it.

Have fun.

Let others bitch about the dings dents and scratches your car or gun has......wtf will you care when youre dead?

Not against collecting stuff. Id rather collect memories

Last edited by hookeye; 01/16/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Will need a reflex sight base for the rear sight area.
Nobody makes one yet

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
jorge,

I don't like them but that's an iconic example you have there.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by deflave
Hickock's videos are so bad, he has to tell you what happens at the beginning.

Because NOBODY makes it through one.

LOL.

They are youtube torture. If he's shooting something I'm really interested in, I'll run them with the sound off and cursor ahead until I think he's at a point that interests me. I wish someone he knows could convince him that no review should take more than 5-7 minutes. Tell what it is, compare it to something similar if you must, then shoot the fuggin thing and be done with it.

I agree with you but it seems that a lot of "unboxing" videos are longer than that.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Even if they fix the quality control issues, the Python won't be around long. It doesn't hold 15 rounds,come in a 9mm version, or have a $400 plastic version. There aren't enough of us older guys around, who remember the old Python with fondness to sustain a viable market.

Last edited by doubletap; 01/17/20.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,366
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.