Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14458370 01/12/20
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Are they as good as the old Bansners? I have an older Bansner on my 30/06 and like it a lot. I know Bansner is starting to make his stocks again but from what I see on the website he isn't offering the configuration I want yet.

Thanks.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an old Bansner and a new L.A.W. they both seem the same quality to me.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I decided to make up a .338 Win. Mag. using a "Classic Stainless" barreled action. I sent it to Bansners along with Ted Blackburn's bottom metal that allowed 4 in the magazine. The stock in Confederate Grey is very good to me and I like every thing about it.

A few years ago I picked up a LAW .300 Win. with the Bansners stock. It appeared to be similar to the stock Bansners put on my .338. One difference was the aluminum bedding block the LAW rifle had, my old Bansners does not have it and does not seem to miss it as my custom .338 has never met a Barnes X bullet it does not like, which is perfect for Alaska's critters.

The other difference between my rifle and the Bansners was the forearm. For some reason they decided to shorten the forearm of the LAW stock and I did not like it and sold the rifle after it hung out unfired in my safe for a couple of years. I really like the Ed Brown designed 704 action though and if I could get a old style Mod. 70 trigger fitted to one I would give some thought to another one in a hot rod 6.5 or 7mm cartridge.

Any way, I am a big fan of the Bansners stock on my .338 and if I ever opted for another synthetic on a rifle it would be my first choice. As much as I love my "custom" .338 Winny for Alaska's weather and hunts, I am still a blue steel and walnut guy at heart.

D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for the feedback.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have several rifles stocked with the "old" Bansers, which came out of the mold with a longer forearm, about half of which I installed myself. But I (and some others) prefer shortening the forearm, partly because it saves weight and we have short enough arms not to need any more--but mostly because they're stiffer when shorter,so are easier to bed free-floated.

In fact, the first rifle Mark Bansner made for me (long before LAW was ever dreamed up) had a short forearm. So did the super-accurate .300 Winchester Magnum Charlie Sisk built me a few years later. So does the lightweight .338 Winchester Magnum I've been shooting for almost 30 years--and installed the stock myself. So does the new classic/modern .257 Roberts I've been putting together for way too long now.

If somebody prefers the full-length forearm of original Bansner stock, why not? But it's a lot easier to get 'em to shoot really well with the forend shortened a couple inches.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Talked to him recently. Mark is only doing Rem 700 right now, as all his mold went with the business when sold. I can’t remember what a new mold cost so he’s entering back slowly. I did recently get two model seven stocks from the old molds from Krick Composites. Greg Krick said he has the old molds and is making stocks for LAW. In fact I was lead to believe he’s completely taking over that part of the business. I had emailed LAW and they forwarded my email to him and he called me. Greg Krick, 717-471-1292, Krickcomposite.com. he will also add he made my stocks in two week. Still my favorite stock.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have two of the Hi Tech stocks (pre-Mark Banser buying them out). Does anybody know what the current Bansers weigh in L/A or S/A for M700's?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It varies a little with the particular recoil pad, and whether or not the forend is left full-length or shortened. Those I have on hand, and otherwise recorded, weight 22-24 ounces.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Thank you John!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looking at the 98 Mauser stocks on the L.A.W. website, it appears that they are for blind magazines. Is this true? Or are they designed for Mauser bottom metal?

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey MD,

I know you know what your talking about, but please enlighten me. If a barrel is free floated what difference is a inch or two of forearm going to make to the contact point by the action? Trying to wrap my head around it. I need to weigh mine again. I think it was about 20-22 ounces.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The longer a forearm, the more it can flex, everything else being equal. The same is true of a barrel.

When a centerfire rifle is shot, the barrel flexes, how much depending on the cartridge and barrel contour.

The old notion that a a barrel is adequately free-floated when a doubled dollar bill (or $5 bill, or $100 bill, if that;s what you have in your wallet) will pass easily between the forend and barrel ignores the fact that IF the barrel contacts the forend it affects accuracy--which usually occurs at the tip of the forend. With full-length Bansner forends, this often happens when barrels are "closely" free-floated, something even some very well-known gunsmiths don't get. I know this through shooting some of their rifles.

The test I've used for many years of whether a rifle barrel is adequately free-floated is to grab the tip of the forend AND barrel in one hand and squeeze. If they easily touch, the barrel isn't adequately free-floated, But a reader described another method a couple years ago: Whack the bottom of the forend, near the tip, with the heel of you hand. If the forend contacts to barrel (which you will definiely feel) it isn't adequately floated.

Obviously, this varies with the stock and barrel, but in my experience with Bansner stocks on rifles up to .338 Winchester Magnum, shortening the forend a couple inches makes CORRECT free-floating much easier.

John Steinbeck
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks M.D. I have read a time or two about people shortening the forearm of a wood stock to make the rifle look better when running a short barrel. I had never stopped to think about the added benefit of it making the stock stiffer. Have you tried it with any of the factory tupperware or other brands of stocks? If so, did you relocate the front swivel stud or leave it close to the new end?

www.wvcdl.org
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave,

I haven't tried it much with injection-molded stocks, because so many made these days are too floppy no matter what the length of the forend. However, those that are stiffer (and some companies are doing that with cross-hatched bracing inside the forend) generally work well, though if they DO bend too much, can usually be cured with a round rasp used on the 2-3" behind the tip of the forend.

Some are just hopelessly floppy.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

This is the rough history of the stocks.
A guy in California started HiTech. That was bought by Mark. After many years he did a deal with LAW and that company produces stocks using the old molds and techniques.

Recently, Mark parted ways with LAW and is producing stocks under the Bansner name. His new stocks are built with the newest in epoxy and fabrics. Also he has built new improved molds. The shape of his new stocks has also been updated. There is a very nice tactical version as well. Mark does a really great paint job.

I bought a HiTech from the guy in CA and have known Mark since he bought it.
Every time he improves his product plus he is a very good human being.

RickD

Last edited by RinB; 01/15/20.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Forgot to say, presently there are fewer models available.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've got an original Bansner Hi Tech stocks on one of my "go to" rifles. My other go to rifle is in a Wildcat Composit stock. I bedded and finished both myself. I couldn't tell any difference in the two. Both were very similar, took about the same to install and finish, and both are excellent. If Bansner doesn't have the configuration you want, check Wildcat Composit as an option.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CKW
Looking at the 98 Mauser stocks on the L.A.W. website, it appears that they are for blind magazines. Is this true? Or are they designed for Mauser bottom metal?

The one I built on a Mark X was indeed and ADL style. This was the Hitech specialties stock sold by Brownells. I retapped the receiver to use 1/4x28 700 screws and estcutceon, Then cut the box off a 98 trigger guard and fitted it into the stock. Holds 3 down of 06 size cases.
Made a nice light rifle. Great stock

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks 10at6 for the information. Clint

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the explanation MD. Now I am curious about my forearm and will check out how it reacts to a whack! I got really lucky with the factory barrel and how it shoots and also believe the free floating of a barrel is best with a decent sized gap between barrel and forearm. Based on my groups mine must be ok.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If anyone is looking for a Bansner Mauser 98 stock, I have an unused one for sale. Pm me, if interested

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

At the Wild Sheep show in Reno and had chance to examine newest Bansner stocks. The new shapes are even nicer than I remembered. He is offering the David Miller designed stock for M70’s AND 700 type actions! Nobody beats his paint jobs. Also, lots of very nice detail work on this complete rifles. 💸💸💸

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RinB

At the Wild Sheep show in Reno and had chance to examine newest Bansner stocks. The new shapes are even nicer than I remembered. He is offering the David Miller designed stock for M70’s AND 700 type actions! Nobody beats his paint jobs. Also, lots of very nice detail work on this complete rifles. 💸💸💸

That’s fantastic to hear! Did he happen to mention when the m70 stock might be available? I actually called earlier in the week to try to get an update and got the “show season” message.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

He had samples. Search for Bansner Rifles or Bansner Stocks.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RinB

He had samples. Search for Bansner Rifles or Bansner Stocks.

Just trying to get an idea of when the winchester version may become available. I’ll call again after show season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 85 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,939
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.