Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
What chambering would you all go with? I’m thinking .243 possibly. Also, barrel length? Any good or bad upper and lowers I need to know about when building an AR10? Plan is to set this rifle up with thermal optics and shots will most likely be kept 350yds and under.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A .243 would be my choice for coyotes in an AR10 platform.

But for coyotes, I much prefer an AR15 in .223 with V-Max bullets. It's hard to beat on killing coyotes. In fact, I think it kills coyotes better than most .243 applications. And you can load/buy ammo cheaper.

I'm setting up a night vision AR10 now. But mostly for hogs with coyotes as a secondary target. I'm setting up an 18" .308.

.243's are pretty loud as it is. I sure wouldn't like shooting any shorter than an 18", and would really want a 20" more.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i had Noreen firearms build me a AR10 243 Win. 24 inch barrel it shoots 80 grain bullets at 300 yards in very small groups with my Nightforce scope on it. this rifle is not light but its very accurate and plenty fast fire power !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pete53
i had Noreen firearms build me a AR10 243 Win. 24 inch barrel it shoots 80 grain bullets at 300 yards in very small groups with my Nightforce scope on it. this rifle is not light but its very accurate and plenty fast fire power !

Take some time and shoot the black rifle challenge here with that rifle. Sounds like a good one. We don't have too many AR10's in that challenge that shoot sub moa. Generally the ar15's tend to shoot better. For yotes, I'd probably just shoot an AR15 223/556/Wyled, if it were me. I'd run the 77gr sierra TMK and not look back.. However, since I have a 6WOA, that's what I use... It treads on the heels of the 243, but it's an ar15... The main downfall of the AR10 platform is the extra weight over the AR15. If you can handle the extra weight, rock on...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would never use an AR10 when a 15 would do the job just as well.

If I was dead set on it, I'd use a .22 Creed.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Within your parameters, yes, I'd build a .243.

With that said, I really have to agree with Tyrone due to all handling and weight benefits and better parts commonality of the with the AR15 platform.

If you like the idea of a 6mm bullet, you can splint the difference and barrel an AR15 in 6x45.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/12/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Interesting comments. I have an awesome ar-15 that I’ve built and never even considered using ... lol. Not sure why? Sounds like I should be good to go with it. 1 in 7 twist barrel and it shoots great. Maybe I’ll try putting it through the paces 1st before I go building the AR10.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=pete53] I'd run the 77gr sierra TMK and not look back..

I'm curious as to why you'd recommend a bullet at the top of the weight scale for .223, and more built for deer sized game for coyotes?

I have punched holes through coyotes with heavier, sturdier constructed bullets, and had them run like winged Pegasus more times than not.

From years of killing 300 plus coyotes a year, I'm in very good company when I say that probably the best coyote killer out there is a 55 or 60 grain V-Max. Usually no exit on a coyotes as well. Vast majority of them fall right where you shoot them.

In my opinion, using a heavy bullet in a .223 would be defeating the purpose.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
[quote=pete53] I'd run the 77gr sierra TMK and not look back..

I'm curious as to why you'd recommend a bullet at the top of the weight scale for .223, and more built for deer sized game for coyotes?

I have punched holes through coyotes with heavier, sturdier constructed bullets, and had them run like winged Pegasus more times than not.

From years of killing 300 plus coyotes a year, I'm in very good company when I say that probably the best coyote killer out there is a 55 or 60 grain V-Max. Usually no exit on a coyotes as well. Vast majority of them fall right where you shoot them.

In my opinion, using a heavy bullet in a .223 would be defeating the purpose.

I used to live in Nevada. I've killed truckloads of yotes with a 22lr, shotgun, and even bow and arrow. I chose the 77TMK for its longrange effectiveness on yotes. Even though you can call them in close enough to sniff you hand at times. Thats where a shotgun comes in handy.... If you really want to get down to brass tacks, I'd chose a 22 magnum with 50gr federal JHP for quick kills and saving the pelts for my friends. In nevada, I would not save the pelts. Here my friend takes them to the fur trader in Burns or Idaho. He stretches pelts. I don't mess with them... To answer your question, damn near anything works on yotes. I've killed them with my 338wm. Did I get a complete pass thru? Hell yes... Did I save the pelt? Hell no... Hope that helps..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That 77 TMK is a wicked little demon though on animals.

Semper Fi
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'd love to hunt someplace where coyotes are so big a 223 won't work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it's important to know if you want to save pelts or not.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I used to live in Nevada. I've killed truckloads of yotes with a 22lr, shotgun, and even bow and arrow. I chose the 77TMK for its longrange effectiveness on yotes. Even though you can call them in close enough to sniff you hand at times. Thats where a shotgun comes in handy.... If you really want to get down to brass tacks, I'd chose a 22 magnum with 50gr federal JHP for quick kills and saving the pelts for my friends. In nevada, I would not save the pelts. Here my friend takes them to the fur trader in Burns or Idaho. He stretches pelts. I don't mess with them... To answer your question, damn near anything works on yotes. I've killed them with my 338wm. Did I get a complete pass thru? Hell yes... Did I save the pelt? Hell no... Hope that helps..

LOL.

Okay... whistle

If you say so.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Nothing that sits on an AR10 platform is known as being very fur-friendly.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I don’t save fur

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Nothing that sits on an AR10 platform is known as being very fur-friendly.
Thanks for the tip. I thought maybe you could get away with a .22 of some sort, even a .473" case head, if you use the right bullet. (What I don't know)

Last edited by Tyrone; 01/13/20. Reason: case head flipflop

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I don’t save fur

I hunted with a buddy that used a .243 with 75gr V Max bullets.

They were good at longer range, and really put the stop on coyotes. smile

Not fur friendly though.

I never tried to be fur friendly with coyotes. Lots of guys skin them. I never messed with it because I'd have had a full time job skinning coyotes... And would not skin one for what they bring in today's market.

I did shoot quite a few bobcats though, while calling coyotes, and am more prone to skinning them.

I sure couldn't argue with my buddy's choice of a coyote killer, or how effective he was with his .243.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I buildt a 20" AR10 in 6.5 creed, but it was so heavy and awkward that I ended up swapping barrels to a 16" fluted lightweight 308 (wilson combat ranger barrel).
Honestly I'd not bother with any AR10 in a barrel longer than 16 inches
For hunting big game, Sierra 165 grain game changers will expand out to about 450 yards with a 16, and I can't really see needing more than that for my purposes.

If it's your first time around on a large frame, sticking with aero m5 parts will save you lots of headaches.

Last edited by CaptArab; 01/12/20. Reason: Spelling
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would not build an AR-10 for a coyote gun. The weight and size is just not needed. But if I were to build an AR-10, I'd look at the 22 Creedmoore. I have a 22-250ai and the Creed is basically the same or better without fire forming. Though a bolt gun would be a better choice.

I've killed a lot of coyotes with a 223 using 40, 50, 55 and 77 grain bullets, they are not hard to kill. If you're gonna snipe one instead of calling them in closer, I'd go with the 77 gr bullets for less wind drift. I shot 600 yards last week with a 55 grain NBT and had to hold a mil and a little more windage with what I considered a slight to moderate wind. The 77's kill just fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 54 invisible), 3,125 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.