Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm down to one 30-30 and haven't hunted with it in many moons. If I decided it's what I wanted to take, I would load up the Nosler e-tip round nose mono made for the 30-30. I would think that bullet would change the whole complexion of the the old 30-30 as far as penetration.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
22" barrel, #1 contour if I recall correctly....standard/normal in other words. Balance? Yes it does. All 5.5 pounds of it...with an El Paso Weaver K2.5 on top. Black syn stock and forend.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I can’t recall having killed a deer with a.30-30, though I may have. I know I have with a .303 Savage which is the same but better. The .44, on the other hand, I can speak to from experience with revolvers and my old Ruger carbine. It kills them as well as anything without making a gawdawful mess.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jim, that picture of you must have been taken a while back....

grin

Good looking young man. You’re bringing him up right.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Writer Brian Pearce has compared the effects of the .44 from a rifle to a .30/06, and while we're at it, the .357 to a .30/30, within their ranges of course."
Pappy: Do you have a reference for that article? Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just kinda decided pistol cartridges are for pistols.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Tell me about real life performance on game compared to, say, the 30-30 Win. Cartridge only please...other than barrel length, gun doesn't matter.

Pat: according to my notes I shot 2 elk, 3 bears, and 9 deer with a .44 Mag and Keith Bullets. All performed like solids at slow speed, which is to say they left a small wound channel and took longer to take effect.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Years ago I read a story, told by a fellow whose father was an old time ranch forman. They had a grizzly problem and he told about all the bears his father killed with the 44 Mag. Anyone else read this one?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobmn
"Writer Brian Pearce has compared the effects of the .44 from a rifle to a .30/06, and while we're at it, the .357 to a .30/30, within their ranges of course."
Pappy: Do you have a reference for that article? Thanks.

Not one article, but rather a number of them over the years. Pearce is a big fan of lever guns, especially one for handgun cartridges, with Marlins apparently a favorite. He's been nagging Marlin for years about increaing the twist rate in their .44s, but only the .444s got a boost, along with Ballard rifling, I believe. He had a very slick custom Marlin takedown built a while back, a real dream piece.

Most of the articles with that info are in my tub of print copies rather than the e-zines I get now, so finding them would be quite a chore as they're not organized.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With Lead fouling I blew up the muzzle of the barrel on my $180 1962 Ruger semi auto 44 mag carbine.
That is common and there are no replacement barrels.

I noticed that the front of the 444 marlin chamber is the same as 44 mag.

So I got a surplus 444 Marlin barrel from Numrich gun parts corp.

Cut off the breech, drilled a gas hole, yadda yadda

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
0.9" 3 shot group at 100 yards with a 4X scope.

Now I have the world's most accurate and heavy Ruger 44 carbine.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killed hogs and one axis deer with the 44 mag B92- such a lovely little rig. It is the one thing I do not handload for and after testing factory ammo found the Hornady Lever Revolution shot best - but....never been pleased with its performance. Don't think they expand much and have switched to Gold dots but not enough work with theme to judge results.
About all I can say shooting hand gun ammo in that rifle is that you have to stick to heavy bullets. anything less than 200 grains get flung wildly.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No experience with 44 mag, but, a 170gr Partition at 2400 fps from a 26" barrel is a stoner of a killer. smile

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Two Nevada Mule Deer with the .44 from a 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Seventeen deer with a Winchester M94 running 170 gr. cast bullets. The 30-30 deer were shot mostly in the late 1050's early 1960's. In fact the last deer taken with the 30-30 was on Labor Day weekend, I remember the date because right after I was headed to Lackland AFB for basic training. The deer with the .44 were taken around 1975 and 1976 IIRC. None of the deer traveled and great distance and were easily recovered.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunner, you older than Ingwe?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Clarkm
With Lead fouling I blew up the muzzle of the barrel on my $180 1962 Ruger semi auto 44 mag carbine.
That is common and there are no replacement barrels.

I noticed that the front of the 444 marlin chamber is the same as 44 mag.

So I got a surplus 444 Marlin barrel from Numrich gun parts corp.

Cut off the breech, drilled a gas hole, yadda yadda

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
0.9" 3 shot group at 100 yards with a 4X scope.

Now I have the world's most accurate and heavy Ruger 44 carbine.
man o man you ready for a ‘ravine buck’ now

👍

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by szihn
I used to own a Browning M92 in 44 mag, and I killed several deer and 2 antelope with it. I used a 225 grain HP on one antelope and the other I used the same bullet as I did on all the deer, a Hornady 265 grain. All went down quickly but not a lot faster then those I killed with my 30-30 and 170grain bullets.

Now the rest of my 44 kills have all been with handguns. A 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk, , two 4 inch M29s, one 6.5" M29 and one 8-3/8' M29 and also 3 kills with a 7.5" Redhawk, one of which was a bear.
From my SBH I have killed mule deer with 240 grain HPS, one with a 240 gr soft point, and all the rest with 250 grain Keith SWCs. Most of those were killed in the 70s. All were one shot kills and all seems to fall about as fast as those I killed with 30-30s.

From my long 8-3/8" S&W M29 I used the same Keith bullet as I used in the SBH, and also I made one kill with an LBT 320 grain bullet. The other deer, elk, and antelope and also one other bear were killed with the same LBT WFN GC, and those bullets seem to drop game faster then any 30-30 I have used. All the kills I made from my 2 4 inch 29s and all I made from my 6-1/2 M29 were with LBT bullets.

One thing that is of note......ALL the 320 grain LBTS I have ever shot game with have exited the animals. 100% with no exceptions at all. I killed 2 elk with my 4" M29 and the M.V. from the short barrel is only about 1175 FPS, but the bullets still go clear through, even on an angled shot, and one hit the upper leg bone and cut it off, yet still went clear through about 28" of elk and exited.

Bullet holes kill, not bullet.
I look at the hole through the vitals of antelope and deer from a 30-30 with a 170 gr, and from a 44 Mag with an LBT bullet and the permanent hole (not just the blood-shot ) from the 44s are just about the same diameter as they are from a 30-30, but deer and antelope are not very big. When you get to elk size and even moose, you really start to see a difference ,and the reason I believe is simply the 44 is making a similar diameter hole ,but far deeper if there is enough body to make a difference, so on large deer elk, bear, and (even though you didn't care about them) horses and cattle, the 44 mag, even from a handgun, drops the animals faster then the 30-30.

The 44s with the LBT bullets go a LOT deeper (if there is enough "deeper to go") and leave a hole about the same diameter, so the wound is going to drop the blood pressure a lot faster. That and the fact that a LBT hard cast 44 doesn't turn off course much (if at all) when it hits a big bone,and a 30-30 often will.

So in the case of most deer size game I would say the 2 are fairly similar, but the 44 may have an advantage you can see over a run of kills from both the 30-30 and the 44 and having a few dozen to compair. But on animals over about 300 pounds the 44 is noticeably more effective.

Reminds me of reading Elmer Keith, he knew what he was talking about also

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Gunner, you older than Ingwe?

Chuck Norris is older than me...thats why he's scared of me...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I shot a good sized Wild Russian Boar (about 235 lbs) in Vermont with .444 Marlin (240 grain JHP) at about thirty yards out of a Winchester 94 carbine. One chest shot, straight on, tore his heart in half, but he was still fighting the Plott Hounds for about five seconds before he dropped dead (Had he not been in combat, he could have ran a ways before dropping, I think).

I shot a feral hog in South Carolina that was a bit bigger (closer to 300 lbs) with a .30-30 using 170 grain Winchester Power-Points (right behind the shoulder from sideways) and he fell over dead as if struck by lightning. That, too, was from a Winchester 94 carbine. Similar range, or perhaps a bit closer. He, too, was in combat with hounds when he was shot.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Missed a head shot on a whitetail doe once....once😃

I’m sure I parted the greasy locks of her forehead gland.

Anyway, I can state that a winchester supreme 250 gr nosler partition gold will punch completely through a 5-1/2” caliper eastern red cedar. And still keep on trucking

50 ish yards

They quit making those btw.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I shot a good sized Wild Russian Boar (about 235 lbs) in Vermont with .444 Marlin (240 grain JHP) at about thirty yards out of a Winchester 94 carbine. One chest shot, straight on, tore his heart in half, but he was still fighting the Plott Hounds for about five seconds before he dropped dead (Had he not been in combat, he could have ran a ways before dropping, I think).

I shot a feral hog in South Carolina that was a bit bigger (closer to 300 lbs) with a .30-30 using 170 grain Winchester Power-Points (right behind the shoulder from sideways) and he fell over dead as if struck by lightning. That, too, was from a Winchester 94 carbine. Similar range, or perhaps a bit closer. He, too, was in combat with hounds when he was shot.

i killed a boar with a knife and he was dead in about 3 seconds.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.