Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joshf303
Not Keith... but I’ve had ZERO problems (or heard of any) keeping the 180 together at 3100.

I fling them at 2950-3000, but haven’t had any issues from an 8” twist, either.

It kills just fine.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good deal, Thanks Josh, i'd guess it to be a good killer too?

I'd shoot 30338 a message on here about the 180 ELD Gunner. He used them out of a 7 Rem and had some interesting notes from killing animals.

I have some 180 Scenars I am planning to give a shot in the Mash this year, but they are still quite a bit less aerodynamic than the 180 ELD, but seeing the 220 Scenar work pretty well in the 300 RUM made me a believer in those bullets.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/12/20.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

I'd shoot 30338 a message on here about the 180 ELD Gunner. He used them out of a 7 Rem and had some interesting notes from killing animals.

I have some 180 Scenars I am planning to give a shot in the Mash this year, but they are still quite a bit less aerodynamic than the 180 ELD, but seeing the 220 Scenar work pretty well in the 300 RUM made me a believer in those bullets.

I’m still on the fence myself with the 180Ms at magnum velocities, say north of 3000, on game. Familiar with Kurt’s happenings with them too...

I’m firmly in the Scenar camp in all calibers when starting velocities are around that 3000+ mark.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Not Keith... but I’ve had ZERO problems (or heard of any) keeping the 180 together at 3100.

It kills just fine.

Thanks Josh and Jordan, I have next to no experience with target type high b.c. bullets killing game, save several hogs with the old 208gr Amax leaving at 3K from my 300 Win.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I’m still on the fence myself with the 180Ms at magnum velocities, say north of 3000, on game. Familiar with Kurt’s happenings with them too...

I’m firmly in the Scenar camp in all calibers when starting velocities are around that 3000+ mark.

Thanks Beretzs, will do, maybe I can math that over to the effectiveness of the 147 6.5 ELD, all that said and iirc the range, I hit a 200+ pound black Russian boar in the ham at 588 yards with my 300 win mag firing 210 LRAB's at 3K, the bullet exited his neck in the crease where it joins the shoulder, DRT! I have to pick a bullet in 6.5 that will do that, may wind up with the 142gr LRAB's over the RDF's, ELD's and Bergers, I've already turned into an old vagina, even want to put a coyote or mangy pos hog down as quickly as possible.

Right on about the Scenars Beretzs and Josh, with what little I saw, and have read of Pat's adventures with them, plus running a 155 through a 120 yard hog with my REPR, could have put a 20oz pop bottle in the offside ribs, wish they made a higher b.c. bullet in 6.5.

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I am a newby with those sorta bullets on game. The 147 ELD from my 6.5 Creed has been nothing less than excellent in my opinion on deer. Just nice entry/exits with great damage internally. The 220 Scenar from the 300 RUM worked the same on deer. I carried it hoping to try it on an elk but nothing volunteered for that. I can see where the ELD's pushed pretty fast could get pretty nasty. Some like that effect, and some don't. I think I like what I see with the Scenar's integrity and giving up a skosh of BC doesn't hurt me too awful much at all.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Thanks Beretzs, will do, maybe I can math that over to the effectiveness of the 147 6.5 ELD, all that said and iirc the range, I hit a 200+ pound black Russian boar in the ham at 588 yards with my 300 win mag firing 210 LRAB's at 3K, the bullet exited his neck in the crease where it joins the shoulder, DRT! I have to pick a bullet in 6.5 that will do that, may wind up with the 142gr LRAB's over the RDF's, ELD's and Bergers, I've already turned into an old vagina, even want to put a coyote or mangy pos hog down as quickly as possible.

Right on about the Scenars Beretzs and Josh, with what little I saw, and have read of Pat's adventures with them, plus running a 155 through a 120 yard hog with my REPR, could have put a 20oz pop bottle in the offside ribs, wish they made a higher b.c. bullet in 6.5.

Gunner, I am with you a 100%. If I could make the ABLR work in a few more rifles I'd probably use them more. They seem to offer a good amount of BC, along with awesome expansion and a decent base that'll plow through most anything.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought 10 boxes of the 175g LRAB, they work in all calibers I shoot 280 AI and 7 RM. 175g LRAB penetrates deer, near and far. I sort by ogive length.

Never being satisfied, I ordered a 7 Mashburn and 7-300 practical reamers along with unithroater. I will try the 180g eld-M at those speeds this year, barrels will finish at 27", #5 contours with Gentry muzzle breaks.

I shot some acceptable groups with a custom 7 STW this year with the 180g eld-M, we shot some does at the end of season here in SC, and a coyote. All died in their tracks. I am hopeful that the 180g eldm will be holding up as these shots were 100-125 yards with MV of 3150 fps using R#33. I had complete penetration on the does, one shot from a quartering angle. Hogs will be the test.

I am hoping that my horde of old Winchester brass will hold up in the Mashburn and 7/300 Practical...we will see how the primer pockets last. I just tried the 180g Hornady eldm in a 7/08 that I throated out, glory be, 2640fps shooting tiny groups with H4350, will try R#17 next. Lapua brass is holding up the primer pockets well. 8.5 twist is my choice.

Hard to believe, but a std 280 or AI throated for the 180g eldm using lapua brass maybe the holy grail using only a fraction of the powder of a 7 STW. A standard 280 will be very easy to work with regarding using Lapua brass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As is soooooooooo very often the case,less is more. Pun be intended. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Nuzzler has as of yet,to make a boolit worth a fhuqk...but they're probably still TRYING. Hint.

Starting velocity,ain't arrival velocity and the faster things start,the FASTER they lose speed. It is NOT lineal. If/when talking the same boolit,at different launch speeds,the initial disparity do not correlate down range. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

What can/will/do happen,is the integrity compromise of a given projectile,both due to lineal velocity and rotational. Skin 'er back and a whole 'lotta dots connect,by literal default. Hint.

I'll greedily take the 280's mild manners,vastly superior brass(Lapooey),extry rounds in the belly,COAL advantages(shorter case),great reduction in recoil/noise and better ES/SD values...if only for starters. Hint.

300Winny 210 Nuzzler AccuBomb at the cited 3000fps.

Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Lowly" 280/180 ELD at 2800fps.

Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass the 7-08 and hold the Fluff.

Hint................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BS, how are the 180 ELD's holding up for you in larger animals like moose and such? I'd imagine outta the 7-08 they work excellent since they are started in a solid speed window and only get better downrange.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by keith
I bought 10 boxes of the 175g LRAB, they work in all calibers I shoot 280 AI and 7 RM. 175g LRAB penetrates deer, near and far. I sort by ogive length.

Never being satisfied, I ordered a 7 Mashburn and 7-300 practical reamers along with unithroater. I will try the 180g eld-M at those speeds this year, barrels will finish at 27", #5 contours with Gentry muzzle breaks.

I shot some acceptable groups with a custom 7 STW this year with the 180g eld-M, we shot some does at the end of season here in SC, and a coyote. All died in their tracks. I am hopeful that the 180g eldm will be holding up as these shots were 100-125 yards with MV of 3150 fps using R#33. I had complete penetration on the does, one shot from a quartering angle. Hogs will be the test.

I am hoping that my horde of old Winchester brass will hold up in the Mashburn and 7/300 Practical...we will see how the primer pockets last. I just tried the 180g Hornady eldm in a 7/08 that I throated out, glory be, 2640fps shooting tiny groups with H4350, will try R#17 next. Lapua brass is holding up the primer pockets well. 8.5 twist is my choice.

Hard to believe, but a std 280 or AI throated for the 180g eldm using lapua brass maybe the holy grail using only a fraction of the powder of a 7 STW. A standard 280 will be very easy to work with regarding using Lapua brass.

The Mashburn should be a piece of cake with the 180 ELD's. I have a Henricksen reamer coming with a live pilot so I can throat rifles how I want. That has been my issue with the Mashburn is the reamers are all over the map. With the 3.650 mag box I had one gun that was sorta short throated, but still worked decent and this current one is a mile long, but must be straight enough to shoot as it handled the 195 Bergers real well at 2950 with RL33 with a mile of jump.

I'll be watching Keith with your hog results with the 180 ELD. The aero form is heads and shoulders above anything I have used to this point.

I have a Remington action and a Shrike at the house I am making into a 280 to copy you all that are miles ahead of me on building them. I am wanting a lighter weight rifle for longer hiking days, but with some reach. Thinking that'll get set up for the 175/180 ELD's since I am hoping it'll be gentle enough on them to not grenade on elk bones. I like being able to use Lapua brass for cases as well. Makes life easier.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It kills just fine.

Thanks Josh and Jordan, I have next to no experience with target type high b.c. bullets killing game, save several hogs with the old 208gr Amax leaving at 3K from my 300 Win.

NP. I can't speak to other people's experiences, but as an extreme example I've seen the 180 ELD drive through a large bull moose, nearly head-on, and the bullet entered the brisket and exited behind the rear offside rib. I estimated the penetration to be somewhere around the 4' mark. The bullet was started at ~2940 fps from a 7WSM and the shot was taken at about 30 meters.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s excellent info Jordan. Thank you. That is plenty of digging for me on elk sized critters I normally hunt.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'retz,

I've never whistled one at a Moose,but the 180 ELD(Whizzum's/7-08's) and 147's(Kreedmires) are mainstays for a buncha friends who do. Nobody is gunning anything different,after the fact.

A 700 based 280,is incredibly forgiving in COAL and you'd really have to try,in order to fhuqk throating up. A nice/easy no bullshit way to fly,with an incredible return on recoil to performance ratio.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was figuring a 280 in a 700 with even half a thought should handle just about anything within reason and it doesn’t suck to have Lapua brass to work with from the get go.

Good intel on the 180. Thank you.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
7/08 is shooting very well with 8.5 twist at 2640 fps with 26" barrel with H4350, will be interesting to see what R#17 does with the 180g eldm.

I throated the barrel to where the base of the bullet is seating right on top of the powder, a bit deeper than the "talking heads" would like. It would not surprise me if I got 2500 rounds out of this Krieger barrel or a tad more.

I use Lapua brass(LRP), never tried any Alpha brass or making brass from 308 Palma brass.

Does anyone know if the dimensions of the Alpha brass is a tad smaller than the Lapua in the Web?

Last edited by keith; 01/12/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by keith
7/08 is shooting very well with 8.5 twist at 2640 fps with 26" barrel with H4350, will be interesting to see what R#17 does. I throated the barrel to where the base of the bullet is seating right on top of the powder, a bit deeper than the "talking heads" would like. It would not surprise me if I got 2500 rounds out of this Krieger barrel or a tad more.

I can see where that’s a fun shooting combo as well. I don’t know if I’d do the 26” barrel but I’d bet I wouldn’t lose too awfully much cut back to a 22.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We hunt out of fixed stands, so barrel length is no issue. We hike out to the stands which are 15' off the ground, pull the gun up with a rope.

In the 280, I am shooting a load right out of the Nosler #4 manual, 162 eldx with imr 7828, fed 210, at 2960 fps on a 27" barrel with Lapua brass. I don't have the twist to run the 180's. Button I used on the reamer that fit the barrel was a .2774 a tad large as .2770 is normal except with Brux which is .276.

I will start off with a #5 contour and often will get a second chamber when the leade has grown .170 or so. Depends on how washed out the barrel is in front of the chamber. My reamer has the standard throat length, and I just seat the 162's deeper, Lapua brass of course.

I let my buddy borrow the reamer and his 280 is 23" length and he is shooting an Endron powder at 2900 with the 162, and he is running remington brass. He is too cheap to buy lapua and does not care how many firings he gets out of his cases. He works up a load, verifies zero from year to year then hunts....that is it.

Last edited by keith; 01/12/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like a good set up Keith. I’m assuming you’re using 700’s as well? Those sound like good set ups for what you’re doing.

Gunner, apologies for mixing up your thread buddy!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

It kills just fine.

NP. I can't speak to other people's experiences, but as an extreme example I've seen the 180 ELD drive through a large bull moose, nearly head-on, and the bullet entered the brisket and exited behind the rear offside rib. I estimated the penetration to be somewhere around the 4' mark. The bullet was started at ~2940 fps from a 7WSM and the shot was taken at about 30 meters.

Damn sure can’t argue with that...

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.