Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a couple of T/C single shots, both in .17 Remington.

One has a 26" T/C barrel on it, in original colors.

The other has a 16 1/4" Bullberry barrel. That one I took q couple cans of non-permanent camo paint to.

In the end, I don't think it makes any difference. But I agree if sunlight glints off of a stock and draws the critter's attention to you, that could be a bad thing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DELGUE; 01/14/20.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RIO7
The only thing I have seen spook a coyote is movement and wind change, rifle color or scope color ain't going to scare a coyote. Rio7

Glare likely isn't as big an issue in brushy country. The coyote s often don't see you from a long distance. When I lived in Arizona and called the brush I didn't worry about glare. As you stated .movement was much more the issue. In the more open country of montana, you can see the coyote s at a distance. And they can see you. Glare off of your call or barrel, or whatever becomes more of an issue. One way to mitigate it is to simply sit in the shade. I sat in the shade of a decent sized rock while calling this morning. I make it a habit.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Sitting in the shade is the only way I call coyotes, looking West in the morning and looking East in the evening, with the wind in my favor. Rio7

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't know the visual capabilities of coyotes but I feel sneakier when my rifle is camo and my clothing is drab.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
According to those who study such things, a coyotes vision is inferior to humans, which can have 20/20, a coyote is 20/75, they are very near sighted. Their eyes can see pretty fair in dim light or none, but actual visual acuity is not all that good.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Why do they run from my shiny pickup?

LOL

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, you absolutely need a new rifle in camo. You need two of them, one in white.

The following words are useless theory.

I heard one time that a serious winter fur hunter wrapped white cloth around rifle and scope and taped it in place, plus wore white. Another theory holds with carrying two pieces of super thin synthetic cloth in one's predator calling day-pack, one in white and the other in dry land camo. With a few clothes pins a man could clip a camo wall to brush etc. and sit behind it. I imagine that the end of a rifle muzzle above the top edge of the cloth might be the last thing a lynx or bobcat or coyote etc. might see.

I knew a fellow who would sit behind a cheap camo colored umbrella he bought while camo was the fashion rage. He claimed he killed a called cougar while sitting behind it. Sounds fishy and cheapskate to me... Buy two rifles!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just as long as it's not shiny.

If you like it, great. But one time I took a ghillied setup out for a walkabout and made the mistake of setting it down and walking up a ridge to peek around. Guess what? I couldn't find the effing thing for 15 minutes, and almost stepped on it when I finally did.

Lesson one: Don't let go of a camoed rifle. Or camoed anything.

So I don't have any camoed guns any more. And I've been thinking if I ever do a camo job again, I'll make sure there are day-glo orange spots all over it (they look white to most creeturs). But my guns ARE matte, no shiny.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's my idea of the ideal camo coyote rifle........

Last edited by JamesJr; 01/16/20.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
My 3 coyote rifles are not camo'd.

However, you need to buy a new rifle, in camo, because everyone needs a new rifle.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I used Winchester’s new “walnut” camo yesterday. See how well it blends into the trees?

That's a fine lookin' rifle you have there!

What caliber is that bad boy in?

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like camo and it makes me feel more invisible. In truth I have shot about the same number of coyotes just wearing earth tone colors and a wooden stocked rifle.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by rem shooter
how much does it help if any to use a camo rifle (stock and barrel)while hunting coyotes and foxes ?.Have regular rifles to use ,kinda looking for an excuse to buy one grin ,but dont really need it

In my opinion it matters little. To an extent, stand selection and the lack of movement are more important than camo. They're either coming to the call, or their not. On the list of things you could do to screw it up, not having a camo weapon is pretty low on the list. Having said that, go get your new rifle. Just know that it doesnt have to be camo'ed, which might allow you to purchase a better rifle anyway!

Good luck and good hunting.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you're looking for an excuse...camo is critical on a predator rifle.

there you go...

I had to buy one myself....in digital cams in case the coyotes ordered night vision from ACME.

And put the PBR s ticker on it, courtesy of Crimson Tide...

PBR is an award winning beer!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Here's my idea of the ideal camo coyote rifle........

I am a fan of those Remington model 7 predators, too. Great looking coyote in that top photo, James.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm searching for a deer rifle that I can use for long range target shooting in a caliber small enough that I could call it a predator rifle as not to offend any of the real deer hunters who use elk rifles...in camo...and stainless maybe
All my other rifles are blued and walnut..or birch/beech

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I figure the camo thingy is for the humans so they can't see each other.............Coyotes, Fox, and Bobcats on the other hand are more stylish. whistle

A camo rifle is a must. Bullets from noncamo rifles just bounce off, then add to that the scientific fact that Coyotes refuse to be shot by a noncamoed rifle. These are known facts.

Case in point. The Coyote in the following photo was not killed by the rifle I'm stylin', but in fact tripped over my camouflage pant leg and fell head first into the camo backpack and broke its neck.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I used Winchester’s new “walnut” camo yesterday. See how well it blends into the trees?

That's a fine lookin' rifle you have there!

What caliber is that bad boy in?

Just saw this question, .22 Hornet at nearly 200 yards. Before calling that slot, you’d have thought a shotgun would have been a better choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta go camo.
Your success as a predator hunter depends on it !
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Or
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/26/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.