Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Not a farmer, but I needed a piddlin' tractor to do odds and ends around my place. I couldn't afford to drop $20K on a little JD or Kubota,...but I had enough scratch to buy a nice old restored 8N. It's low tech as it gets and easy to work on.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My brother has two of them.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by MM879
Originally Posted by k20350

Been awhile since I saw an update but i know theres was or is a giant lawsuit against John Deere because they refuse to release the software for their latest tractors.

The diagnostic protocol is open to all tool manufactures. Any company can develop a scan tool to read the common data stream. A scan tool will be one of the lowest cost tools in a shop. Many of the companies support an internal flash code system that can be initiated to blink out a fault code. I use an adapter on a laptop.

Attached is a link to the ISO standard.
https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:11783:-12:ed-3:v1:en

I have found that to be a voluntary standard which most ag equipment manufacturers have not opted to abide by. Do a Google search on how companies like Deere are not providing a way for growers to access or jail break their equipment. Currently their software is in a locked down state. Accessing the questionable black market is the only option growers have.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/246314-farmers-pirating-john-deere-tractor-software-stick-man

https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/

The John Deere products are require to comply with the diagnostic standards.

Attached is a link to a diagnostic fault code list. The fault code list can be used with published fault code tree analysis to diagnosis most fault conditions. Most of the time a good mechanic will see the mechanical condition causing the fault. The diagnostic just speeds up the process.
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMAR259982_19/OURX935_00004D3_19_19DEC07_1.htm

Here is a link to an outside company that has developed user tools for the AG vehicles. Not a JD comany.
http://texa.diesellaptops.com/john-...nJurWfGAVtZUETTyyjiYnNqr_egaAvlTEALw_wcB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if this is Nationwide or just in CA. Our biggest problem with AG equipment is the tier4 Diesel requirements.
It has turned diesels from being the old reliable you could count on to [bleep] code throwing nightmares! Tractors, pumps, harvesting equipment and on and on. All for what? Saving some soot from going into the atmosphere? Ridiculous.

Last edited by RUM7; 01/11/20.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! I got money in the bank on rubber tires. These 4 fit the 1980 and under category.

International 574
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

John Deere 4430

John Deere 4440

John Deere 4640

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RUM7
I don't know if this is Nationwide or just in CA. Our biggest problem with AG equipment is the tier4 Diesel requirements.
It has turned diesels from being the old reliable you could count on to [bleep] code throwing nightmares! Tractors, pumps, harvesting equipment and on and on. All for what? Saving some soot from going into the atmosphere? Ridiculous.

It is world-wide and has been on-going for over a decade

US: Tier 4 off-road

World: Tier 4 world-wide

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Diagnostic code has defaults that are programmed by the manufacture. They can chose to set limp in condition as one that will shut down the operation or use a synthetic equivalent of the failed sensor or system. It is my understanding that some companies are providing a service to the satellite linked customers that will alter the limp in calibrations on the fly to keep critical equipment running. This service is a pay to play option.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by roundoak
Wow! I got money in the bank on rubber tires. These 4 fit the 1980 and under category.

International 574

We have a 574 just like that. My grandfather bought it new. It's had one engine overhaul. Anymore, it's mostly used it to move hay wagons and to brush hog along a couple fence rows with low hanging branches. They have great fenders for riding on. I spent countless hours on one as a tot. There's a nice little spot for your feet behind the shifters.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like full size pick ups.

Ford 7.3 PowerStrokes seem to have doubled in value over the last decade or so.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Sounds like full size pick ups.

Ford 7.3 PowerStrokes seem to have doubled in value over the last decade or so.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_K
While the John Deere 40,50,55 series tractors still bring good money.

Try buying a low hour John Deere 7810. Those tractors seem to bring a real premium. As do models like the 4960 and the 8410.

In some cases more than they sold for new.

The 10 series JD's are probably the best ever.
(loader/general mid-size hp farm tractor)

(that will get the IH guys all riled up)

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/11/20.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There have been several articles written about the lack of access to trouble shooting software....
Absolutely bonkers for a farmer.
Farmers are the predecessors to engineers. They just figure out how to do what needs to be done. Then do it
The whole diagnostics thing has got to be collateral damage from the growth of corporate farming...
Or a clone of the shift of auto dealers to driving profits with service revenue....
Not like you can drive the tractor to the auto parts store for a free scan....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 1967 Oliver 1850 diesel. I was considering selling it this spring. Maybe I should hang onto it a while longer.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Try buying a low hour John Deere 7810. Those tractors seem to bring a real premium. As do models like the 4960 and the 8410.

A friend had a 7410 JD MFWD for haying/choring-absolutely loved the tractor. Traded it for a 7420 and it was a electronic nightmare. Fought it for a while and then traded for a new 7430. It seems to be a good tractor

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old tractors have their place in parades but no way I’m using one here when the new ones are so much more. I really like the new emissions , I can start up the tractor and let it warm up in the barn without exhaust fumes choking you out. With the traction of 4 wheel drive, the safety of ROPS and the luxury of a cab there’s no way I would go back unless I had to.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm not sure how old is old. Those Farmall M's did not give the world's best ride.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by roundoak

International 574

We have a 574 just like that. My grandfather bought it new. It's had one engine overhaul. Anymore, it's mostly used it to move hay wagons and to brush hog along a couple fence rows with low hanging branches. They have great fenders for riding on. I spent countless hours on one as a tot. There's a nice little spot for your feet behind the shifters.

The 574 has been on the farm since my Uncle bought it new in the 1970s. I consider it a flat-land tractor and I bought a 4WD to work the hills, but the 574 is still on the farm.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
However, here is the thing about running older equipment..........the 4WD and front wheel assist tractors have about taken over the market, and there is a good reason for that. I have to feed cattle in the winter, and we have a lot of mud to deal with here, and I know how hard it is to get around with a 2 wheel drive tractor.

^^^ This right here. My old Massey does the yeoman's work of haying and it moves the big round bales for feeding, but it can get rather "sporty" on snow and especially ice. I have a smaller 4WD tractor which performs the bulk of the work here.

Friend of mine has two big 4WD New Hollands which can handle all the tasks --- when they're working. We can perform the minor maintenance (fluid changes, hydraulic seals, etc) but when it's something engine or software related, it results in a trip to the dealership for diagnostics. And sometimes a lengthy wait on parts; he had BOTH of them down for about a month this summer when he was trying to work the fields.

The new technology is a blessing and a curse. I'm planning to stick with my 40+ year old tractor for as long as I can.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
70s Deutz 2WD 100 hp......$4200. Had to get used rear tires........but 7950 lift on the rear forks according to TractorData........nice and wide and with the Extra low gear.......serious puller.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cowdoc
Originally Posted by SamOlson

A friend had a 7410 JD MFWD for haying/choring-absolutely loved the tractor. Traded it for a 7420 and it was a electronic nightmare. Fought it for a while and then traded for a new 7430. It seems to be a good tractor

A friend of mine who farms a bunch of acres has a 7430 Premium and he likes it. But they also have a newer JD combine and it refused to run during an emissions system issue. Sit and wait out in the field for a couple hours until the JD tech arrived to tell the worthless computer that everything is okay.

That is what I can't stand. There might not be anything to worry about mechanically but if the computer thinks there is you are chit outta luck.

We have a 6430 Premium and late this past fall the JD guy came out to work on a hydraulic issue. While he was there he said I'll go ahead and do an update on the computer. The next day and 10 hours later he got the tractor to operate.

If the computer tells the machine 'something is wrong'(even when nothing is actually wrong), the machine won't work.

I hate it.

L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by k20350

Been awhile since I saw an update but i know theres was or is a giant lawsuit against John Deere because they refuse to release the software for their latest tractors.

The diagnostic protocol is open to all tool manufactures. Any company can develop a scan tool to read the common data stream. A scan tool will be one of the lowest cost tools in a shop. Many of the companies support an internal flash code system that can be initiated to blink out a fault code. I use an adapter on a laptop.

Attached is a link to the ISO standard.
https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:11783:-12:ed-3:v1:en

I have found that to be a voluntary standard which most ag equipment manufacturers have not opted to abide by. Do a Google search on how companies like Deere are not providing a way for growers to access or jail break their equipment. Currently their software is in a locked down state. Accessing the questionable black market is the only option growers have.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/246314-farmers-pirating-john-deere-tractor-software-stick-man

https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/

The John Deere products are require to comply with the diagnostic standards.

Attached is a link to a diagnostic fault code list. The fault code list can be used with published fault code tree analysis to diagnosis most fault conditions. Most of the time a good mechanic will see the mechanical condition causing the fault. The diagnostic just speeds up the process.
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMAR259982_19/OURX935_00004D3_19_19DEC07_1.htm

Here is a link to an outside company that has developed user tools for the AG vehicles. Not a JD comany.
http://texa.diesellaptops.com/john-...nJurWfGAVtZUETTyyjiYnNqr_egaAvlTEALw_wcB

Yes you might be able to diagnose some issues with these tools, but in most instances...only the dealer can execute a repair.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...they-cant-fix/ar-BBYKIQ6?ocid=spartandhp

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.