B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Matty99669
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I would use a Swift A-Frame in 225gr or 250gr weight. Accuracy is second to tough bullet construction when hunting game that can hurt you.

"Accuracy is second to bullet construction"? We will have to agree to disagree...

How much accuracy do you need for a moose or brown beat at 100yds?

Was up the hill last night carving a curly maple stock in my buds gun shop. All you can do to stay sane in dark 30-40 below weather, is work on interesting guns. These guys put out rifles that sell between $75,000-$12,000.

I was handling three pre 64 model 70's that were all in various stages of the build with the most precise walnut stock inletting possible in the fine gun making trade. A 30-06, 300 h&h and a 458 win mag with drop box. None of them will group better than 2" from a rest at 100 yards. BUT, they will sell for 8-12 grand all day long.

This chit is getting fu cking ridiculous. You alaskan fu cks need a website all your own. All of my pre 64's shoot consistent sub moa. Maybe i could sell them for more than "$75,000.00". Fu cking chit is hilarious..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I would use a Swift A-Frame in 225gr or 250gr weight. Accuracy is second to tough bullet construction when hunting game that can hurt you.

"Accuracy is second to bullet construction"? We will have to agree to disagree...

I shoot up to 600 yards for caribou. I wouldnt do it if I wasnt 1 moa at that distance.

Are you planning on shooting caribou at 600 yds with a 416 Rem?

No

Ok then, learn how to shoot , use a good bullet and quit whining on the internet..... if you can't do it with a 338 then you can't do it

Amen!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Was up the hill last night carving a curly maple stock in my buds gun shop. All you can do to stay sane in dark 30-40 below weather, is work on interesting guns. These guys put out rifles that sell between $75,000-$12,000.

I was handling three pre 64 model 70's that were all in various stages of the build with the most precise walnut stock inletting possible in the fine gun making trade. A 30-06, 300 h&h and a 458 win mag with drop box. None of them will group better than 2" from a rest at 100 yards. BUT, they will sell for 8-12 grand all day long.

This chit is getting fu cking ridiculous. You alaskan fu cks need a website all your own. All of my pre 64's shoot consistent sub moa. Maybe i could sell them for more than "$75,000.00". Fu cking chit is hilarious..

I'm pretty sure that was a typo, as in he meant to say $7,500-12,000

Still funny though.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Using Sierra Bt's on brown bears and then wondering why a bear ran off..........mmmmmmm...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The fact is- both the bears I recovered last year were double lung shot. The blackie had one through the heart. Its just not a matter of shot placement, or expansion. the shots did what a .338 does. We just have some big pissed off bears full of adrenalin. Ive shot 8 brownies and countless black bears. Im not some dude shooting columbian blacktails. I dont like following them through the brush when they refuse to go down. I want more kenetic energy and knock it the [bleep] down. Im looking for a bigger rifle and asking opinions on calibers from guys that own and shoot them at dangerous game. Nuff said.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Smoking gun,

Was not a typo. Judd Brennan sold a flintlock rifle inlaid with precious metals and ivory, engraving that took over a year to finish. It sold for $75,000. If you pick up a few books or DVDs on American Kentucky rifles, you'll see pictures of the thing. His son does high end double rifles and bolt actions.

BSA,
All the barrels on those pre 64 model 70's are the originals. I'm unsure if you understood my intent. What I was alluding to, was that 2" accuracy from a fine vintage rifle is superb. Your's sound like real accurate shooters. Must be a thing of pride seeing that accuracy from an oldie.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Matty, if you want a measurable step up in power from the 338 Winchester magnum, I would recommend that you get the 416 Remington magnum. Sierra doesn't make any .416 caliber bullets, so I would probably load up some 350gr or 400gr Swift A-frames. That will definitely give you more stopping. Other bullets that I would consider would be the Barnes TSX, the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and the Nosler Partition.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Matty, if you want a measurable step up in power from the 338 Winchester magnum, I would recommend that you get the 416 Remington magnum. Sierra doesn't make any .416 caliber bullets, so I would probably load up some 350gr or 400gr Swift A-frames. That will definitely give you more stopping. Other bullets that I would consider would be the Barnes TSX, the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and the Nosler Partition.

Finally! Thank you!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Jesus calm down buddy... you gone off the rails like really bad... you get ahold of some firewater or something?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
OP,
Go here -
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/userposts/id/6930

Read through some of Phil’s posts over the last few years on this subject. Very few with more knowledge of big bears and bullet performance than he - Oregonians excepted, of course.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 01/12/20.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Smoking gun,

Was not a typo. Judd Brennan sold a flintlock rifle inlaid with precious metals and ivory, engraving that took over a year to finish. It sold for $75,000. If you pick up a few books or DVDs on American Kentucky rifles, you'll see pictures of the thing. His son does high end double rifles and bolt actions.

BSA,
All the barrels on those pre 64 model 70's are the originals. I'm unsure if you understood my intent. What I was alluding to, was that 2" accuracy from a fine vintage rifle is superb. Your's sound like real accurate shooters. Must be a thing of pride seeing that accuracy from an oldie.

I don't doubt it at all. Sounds like a really nice rifle. I bought my first house in 2001 for $62,500 It was an old farmhouse fixer upper on 4.5 acres right up against the State Park with great deer hunting. Sometimes it's hard to wrap my mind around how collectable and expensive nice things can be.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So during your load work up what other bullets did you try?

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Finally! Thank you!

Color me surprised, the guy says try 350gr or 400gr Swift aframes, or Barnes tsx.. You can do that with the 338 just run 250's.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
OP,
Go here -
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/userposts/id/6930

Read through some of Phil’s posts over the last few years on this subject. Very few with more knowledge of big bears and bullet performance than he - Oregonians excepted, of course.

Phil is the real deal. He killed a huge brown bear that he startled and was charging with a 9mm handgun! No BS at all.

If you want a bigger rifle then get one, and blame it on your other rifle being not big enough. Just don't expect everyone here to go along with it.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm all for having another reason to buy a new rifle. But try to use good bullet from the get go.. me I usually use a partition.. then followed by the poor man's partition the good ol hornady..

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sometimes indifference with a rifle is all in the mind, and that is ok.
I'd assume when Matty tracked through nasty brush, got swatted in the eye by an alder or had to pack meat or hide over exauhsting distance, he just plain didn't like the rifle afterwards.

When a guy or gal DRT's a pile of game with no fuss, you cling to the gun. It never gets sold. That ideal gun is different for everyone.

I read an outstanding article written by Tia Shoemaker. She had a jam in her 375 ruger during a bear charge. She claimed no fault of the gun, but rather, a flat point bullet loaded in the gun didn't feed right. She eventually gave up on the gun and went to a 416 rem mag built by darcy echols. Then hiked up in the mountains and took a sheep with it!

The new rifle bug is hard to shake......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want more kenetic energy and knock it the [bleep] down. Im looking for a bigger rifle and asking opinions on calibers from guys that own and shoot them at dangerous game. Nuff said.

In that case just skip the 375s and 416s, because CZ makes an affordable .505 Gibbs. The Gibbs can push a 600 gr Woodleigh PP at 2500+ fps.

If you want to put things in perspective: the Gibbs is to the little 416 Rigby, as the 308 is to the little 257 Roberts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Goosey; 01/13/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I absolutely agree with "accuracy being second..." and I can list a whole bunch of dead and recovered bears that would begrudgingly agree.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sambo3006
Another thought in regards to the lost brown bear. A shoulder shot on a bear may not lead to chest cavity penetration, especially if the bear is quartering away, even slightly. Their anatomy is shaped differently than deer, more like a stocky human on all fours. With a soft bullet on a large bear, the second shot may not have achieved much penetration.

Please elucidate....

Bears are light boned and delicate compared to big herbivores so I am wondering where a bullet pointed in the right direction goes?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Finally! Thank you!

Okay, you asked a question hoping not for real insight, information or inspiration, but rather insight from someone equally clueless, guessing.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.