Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've joined the plastic pistol club. I bought a Glock 48 a couple months back and have been shooting it. I really like the simplicity of the Glock platform, weight, and dependability. Trigger still sucks but I'm looking at alternatives.

I've been pondering a Glock 20/40 for a month or so and finally pulled the trigger on a Glock 20, pun intended, this weekend. The Gen 4 guns were a game changer for me. Gen3 and earlier guns feel like a 2x4 in my hands - and I have average size hands. The Gen 4 guns feel different and comfortable. I shot the 20 yesterday and was surprised how accurate I was able to shoot it right out of the box. On my 48, I tend to the the Glock thing - a tad low/left and have been playing with my grip. I did not have that issue with the 20 - everything right down center. Held 3-4" groups at 10-20 yards. Needless to say, I was really happy. Didn't try the Underwood 220s but that will happen soon.

A couple of questions for the Glockified Cru'

1) Is the low/left thing purely grip? I'd bet I have too much hand on the smaller Glock which is causing the low/left thing. Its only 1" low and left but it shouldn't be. The group size is good so whatever I'm doing, I'm doing consistently.
2) What are the aftermarket trigger choices? My plan for all my handguns is hunting/hiking/woods carry - which is to say they will see rain, mud, use. I'll stick with the OEM trigger if I risk losing reliability.
3) What upgrades should I consider with the 20? I think the Gen 4 guns have sufficient springs for Underwood/Buffalo Bore but some suggest stainless. What do you guys do with your 20's? BTW: I like the simplicity of the dot and U sight pattern. I find it easy to locate the front sight and re-acquire the target with that system. A fiberoptic may help if available.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
An inch low and left from what distance?

I wouldn't do a damn thing to your Glock.

Accessories are for 1911's.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, apart from better sights, I leave all my Glocks 100% stock. The trigger can be mastered fine the way it comes.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Distance 5-10 yards for Glock 48. At 20+yds it grows to 2-3" low/left. I shoot the 10 much better at distance.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bwinters
Distance 5-10 yards for Glock 48. At 20+yds it grows to 2-3" low/left. I shoot the 10 much better at distance.

Are you shooting with a true thumbs forward? Your weak side thumb should be in line with the top of your forearm all the way to your elbow. The entire line should be parallel to the deck.

As far as it being low, you might need different sights. It might be able to be corrected with grip but kind of hard to do over the internets.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It is difficult for some to understand the understanding that it takes to understand that the Glock rear sight can be drifted right and left enough to change the horizontalness that needs to be acquired to zero in the left and right category plus Glock sells different heightness of sights for the compensateness of elevation. They are not hard to move as they are plastic.
As doofus and goofus as I am I know these things and can do them much to the mesmerizement of the Illuminated ones on here.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd shoot it from a rest and determine whether it was me or the gun. Use the grip that works for you, your age and your anatomy. Drift the rear sight the direction you want to move your group.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1) Is the low/left thing purely grip? I'd bet I have too much hand on the smaller Glock which is causing the low/left thing.

Given that low left is perhaps the most common place to miss, I'd say it's you and not the gun. Further, it's probably not the hand position of your grip. I fought low left misses on a Commander 1911 .45 and found that I was making a common mistake: as I was pressing the trigger I was simultaneously squeezing the gun extra hard and mashing the trigger in anticipation of the recoil. You're shooting a 10mm and could be doing the same. As has been suggested, shoot the gun from a rest. Don't flinch (yes, I know you can't just tell somebody not to flinch, but it's important here) and see where the rounds impact.

2) What are the aftermarket trigger choices? My plan for all my handguns is hunting/hiking/woods carry - which is to say they will see rain, mud, use. I'll stick with the OEM trigger if I risk losing reliability.

Glock has a ton of aftermarket trigger choices. I haven't found it necessary to do anything to the factory trigger. I'm not a great shot, but the factory trigger works fine on the 4 Glocks I currently have.

3) What upgrades should I consider with the 20? I think the Gen 4 guns have sufficient springs for Underwood/Buffalo Bore but some suggest stainless. What do you guys do with your 20's? BTW: I like the simplicity of the dot and U sight pattern. I find it easy to locate the front sight and re-acquire the target with that system. A fiberoptic may help if available.

I believe the answer to "which sights?" is purely personal preference. My favorite sights on a Ruger MKII is a factory black front painted lime green and factory rear left black. On a G19 I have 3-dot nights and like them. Get whatever sights you find help you hit where you're aiming--starting with a high vis front sight sounds like a solid plan and is easy to change out yourself.

If your hands have trouble reaching the slide lock and/or the magazine release, you could get extended versions of both. I have the Glock extended slide lock on one G19 and the Vickers on another. I waver on which I prefer; both are fine. I like the Glock extended mag release over the Vickers version; the Vickers is rounded which tends to defeat its intended function.

Beyond that, I'd say leave it alone--Glock is not a perfect company, but I'd say they currently have all the bugs worked out (with the possible exception being the G42 .380--it had feed/function issues awhile back; I don't know what's happening with it now.) Most of us (myself included) need to just engage in (1) regular, (2) quality practice. Spend your gun money on ammo and shoot it. Use a .22lr pistol as well. As you begin to improve, you'll focus more on making changes to yourself and less on making changes to the gun (at least that was true for me). Enjoy your new gun!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've joined the plastic pistol club. I bought a Glock 48 a couple months back and have been shooting it. I really like the simplicity of the Glock platform, weight, and dependability. Trigger still sucks but I'm looking at alternatives.

I've been pondering a Glock 20/40 for a month or so and finally pulled the trigger on a Glock 20, pun intended, this weekend. The Gen 4 guns were a game changer for me. Gen3 and earlier guns feel like a 2x4 in my hands - and I have average size hands. The Gen 4 guns feel different and comfortable. I shot the 20 yesterday and was surprised how accurate I was able to shoot it right out of the box. On my 48, I tend to the the Glock thing - a tad low/left and have been playing with my grip. I did not have that issue with the 20 - everything right down center. Held 3-4" groups at 10-20 yards. Needless to say, I was really happy. Didn't try the Underwood 220s but that will happen soon.

A couple of questions for the Glockified Cru'

1) Is the low/left thing purely grip? I'd bet I have too much hand on the smaller Glock which is causing the low/left thing. Its only 1" low and left but it shouldn't be. The group size is good so whatever I'm doing, I'm doing consistently.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Why the bad-word do you want to bad-word up your pistol? You clearly don't know your bad-word from a hole in the ground.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd just upgrade sights to tritium, if your pistols came with the plastic ones.

I wouldn't go changing up trigger parts. Sometime people get carried away with that, and it can affect reliability.

Drift that rear sight on the 48 to bring your hits online.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
As I'm typing here, My trusty old Gen2 Glock 17 is riding on my strong-side hip, in a Serpa paddle holster.

I put tritium on this one in 1994. I need to get some new ones. They are mighty dim after 26 years.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Are you shooting with a true thumbs forward? Your weak side thumb should be in line with the top of your forearm all the way to your elbow. The entire line should be parallel to the deck.

As far as it being low, you might need different sights. It might be able to be corrected with grip but kind of hard to do over the internets.

Thumbs parallel grip as you describe. The smaller frame of the 48 feels like I have too much pressure on the front of the gun.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by deflave
An inch low and left from what distance?

I wouldn't do a damn thing to your Glock.

Accessories are for 1911's.

What flave said.
Learn tigger pull/squeeze

My trigger on my glock sucks but I’m accurate with the dang thing.

Look at ZEV triggers....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I'd shoot it from a rest and determine whether it was me or the gun. Use the grip that works for you, your age and your anatomy. Drift the rear sight the direction you want to move your group.

This is the direction I'm headed. I'm new to Glocks and was curious what those that shoot them had to say. Reading the internets the low/left thing is brought up alot. There also seems to be a separate world of accessories and upgrades. I liken it to Kimber Montana's - a couple of known things to check if they aren't shooting as good as you'd like.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll stick with OEM trigger for a bit. I shot the 10mm fairly well for its maiden voyage, surprisingly well in my book. I shot it better than the baby Glock.

Last edited by bwinters; 01/13/20.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Purchased a Glock 20s 10mm few weeks back, feels good in the hand.Have not had time to shoot it yet.I have the Glock 43X 9mm as my carry gun, love it.

Last edited by coobie; 01/13/20.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I drop holes in a Copenhagen sized circle with stock trig and gun at 15 yards.
26 is accurate. No mods.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I was never a glock fan until owned one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put night sights on it. Leave the rest alone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, apart from better sights, I leave all my Glocks 100% stock. The trigger can be mastered fine the way it comes.

Yes, it's a very high precision trigger & with a little bit of practice, you'll be able to consistently make head shots in the ear hole under extreme duress at 60+ feet in a church setting.

MM

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.