Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
how it works with 41's.
i saw mention of a ruger bisley in 41. guess what i was trolling for on the net last night? with that 7 plus inch barrel.
it never stops.

and i had to look in the safe. both of those blackhawks are three screws, no transfer bar safety. my personal opinion is they are smoother than the later ones with the safety.
one when i found it had a set of crappy to me aftermarket stocks on it. i replaced with what look like ruger stocks, but not specific to the revolver or period. would like to find a set of original stocks.
given these are around 60years old, they look like they were made last week.
hard to beat that old ruger quality.
another one i haven't tripped across is a 8inch barrel 57.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/16/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Ah, there you are. Where ya been?

Damn it. You guys have got me jonesing to try a 4 5/8 Bisley Blackhawk in 41. I will have to start looking for a likely candidate. There is still room in the safe, I think.

i do believe i saw a couple last night while searching the net.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i resisted the urge for quite a while, but the enabler finally won out talking about the .41special. when i got the brass from starline and loaded it, was just perfect for the 41, particularly the smaller guns like a taurus etc. seems to match quite well with the 58's too.
one of the atvantages of a 41 to me is there is such a range of bullet weights and velocity, if you reload. from quite mild to elephant stompers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i resisted the urge for quite a while, but the enabler finally won out talking about the .41special. when i got the brass from starline and loaded it, was just perfect for the 41, particularly the smaller guns like a taurus etc. seems to match quite well with the 58's too.
one of the atvantages of a 41 to me is there is such a range of bullet weights and velocity, if you reload. from quite mild to elephant stompers.

He is proficient, skilled and relentless. Lol. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
grin..who me?

FYI...there are no factory Bisley Models in .41 Magnum with a 4 5/8" barrel...only a 5.5" stainless, 7.5" blue and a 7.5" stainless Hunter...

...find a nice 4 5/8" gun and then find a Bisley frame and hammer...they are around...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

another one i haven't tripped across is a 8inch barrel 57.

I have a friend that has one, it is 8-3/8's, he won't even talk about selling it.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM
grin..who me?

FYI...there are no factory Bisley Models in .41 Magnum with a 4 5/8" barrel...only a 5.5" stainless, 7.5" blue and a 7.5" stainless Hunter...

...find a nice 4 5/8" gun and then find a Bisley frame and hammer...they are around...

Yes, I knew that. I anticipated having to shorten a 5.5" SS.

Is there a reason it would be preferable to retrofit Bisley components to a 4 5/8" gun instead?

I ask only because my one and only attempt to swap Bisley components did not go so well. I have the two SS Single Sevens in 4 5.8". I wanted to convert one to Bisley for my heaviest loads.

So when I saw the 5.5" SS Single Six available, I purchased one expressly for donor parts. The 'Smith also believed they were identical frames and it would be no big deal to swap the parts. But when we got them apart, he found there was a slight difference in the thickness of the grip frame and also the mounting holes were slightly misaligned.

I understand the factory can supply raw gripframes to be hand fitted to the individual gun. I just assumed it would be much less expensive to have one shortened, crowned, and the front sight reset.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Speaking of custom work on Rugers, does anyone know who could add real sights to a Vaquero? I have one that I absolutely love, just wish it had some real sights on it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dave...you are correct it would be easier to shorten an existing gun to 4 5/8" the problem of course being finding one... There are tons of 4 5/8" guns out there in blue steel and as far as I know putting a Bisley gripframe on one is no major problem... Best place to ask is over on the SingleAction Forums...those guys do it all the time...

mirage...try Jack Huntington at JRH Precision... I've had two guns modified by him and he is one of the masters... And again if you ask over on the SA Forums those guys know everything about SA mods and who does the best job.

...and nice guns bartman...

Bob

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

Damn it. You guys have got me jonesing to try a 4 5/8 Bisley Blackhawk in 41. I will have to start looking for a likely candidate. There is still room in the safe, I think.

I have a Standard 7.5 inch blued Bisley 41 mag if you are looking for one to cut down. I just found a fluted cylinder 41 magnum Bisley and it's going to replace my current Bisley. My non fluted is a tack driver but I've always wanted a Bisley 41 with the fluted cylinder. PM me if you are interested.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I have an old model shorty and some 265 Gr GC bullets loaded and ready to go. Should be a fun gun!!

I hope the front sight is tall enough. Back in the early 90s I had a 4-5/8" barreled Blackhawk .41 and the rear sight was screwed down hard to get it on target with 210s.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 5 1/2 standard blackhawk in the 1980s. I shot the heck out of it. I think those had an aluminum frame, because in my mind it was moderately light weight. Naturally since I liked it so much, I sold it for a 7.5 inch unfluted bisley. I really never had the same appreciation for the weight and long barrel, so that revolver is a safe queen. I have other shorter bisleys, and I really like those, but they are in 4 5/8 44 special, 3 1/2 44 mag, and 5 1/2 45LC.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mart

I have a Standard 7.5 inch blued Bisley 41 mag if you are looking for one to cut down. I just found a fluted cylinder 41 magnum Bisley and it's going to replace my current Bisley. My non fluted is a tack driver but I've always wanted a Bisley 41 with the fluted cylinder. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer. But my wants do exceed my means at the moment. I am fully involved in a rifle project for this winter. The next revolver project is probably a year away.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Mart, if you want I'll send you the tool to chuck the engraved cylinder in a drill press so you can dress off the engraving on the one you have. Have it reblued and you have a 7 1/2" bisley that looks like it wears a SBH cylinder.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Robb but I have a fluted cylinder 41 on the way and it looks like my non fluted is spoken for. I'm going to have the fluted 41 shortened to 5.5 inches and a few other custom touches done.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I finally got to shoot my new 41 today, pretty dang sweet gun, Ilike it. I gotta find a solution to putting some type of high viz sight on the front. I guess machining the blade off and drilling the front base is my only option. Anyone else have another solution? These 54 year old eyes ain't what the used to be.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm another one who wishes that BHs had the same interchangeable front sight blade system that the Freedom Arms guns have.

I'm just wondering if any of the big name gunsmiths can mill the base of a Ruger to take the FA blades... Most of them simply mill off the blade and mortise out the base, drill for a cross pin and then pin a new blade in place. I would imagine that the FA base is milled from the bottom of the base.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know Clements does that conversion on blued guns. Simple pin to take blades. He also provides blades of different heights. The stainless guns come with the pinned front blade. Wish Ruger did their blue guns like that.

Also, if you get it converted, there’s a guy on Rugerforum that makes a nice patridge type blade for them. I have a few that I installed on my newer 5-shot 454 and 480’s.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.