Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
instant campfire classic? will I finally be run off as the biggest bull$hitter of all time. will it fail the tracking test? (scope dyno) lots of love for this scope. will I prove the fanboys wrong?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry....but I'm not watching it. Sighted 2 more in last Saturday.....and all was very good.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Cowboy...

In case you missed it again in the other thread.

I’m curious what your process is for “truing” up the reticle in your rings/mounts before it’s mounted on your jig?

Last edited by joshf303; 01/13/20.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Let me guess, no midget negros were hurt in this test.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thats racist.

You can lead a horse...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
josh, no I didn't see that question asked before, ironically much of it has to do with the very thing people made most fun of. the clamps. The clamps allow instant adjustment of pitch up and down, at least close enough. I use the scope adjustments once I get it to the upper part of the tall target. The blue clamp that secures the front of the pic rail is used to adjust windage. again I just get this close. scopes adjustments once its close. The only thing left to true up is the reticle to the lines. ie is the scope level, perfectly vertical in its axis. The tall target has a plumbob hanging off it so that is true and level in the middle. although I think as long as the scope and the lines match the result would be the same. however I still level the target. The only thing really is to carefully tighten up the rings, probably the most time consuming thing of all. if I tighten one side down it often shifts the reticle out of vertical, so I have some trial and error getting the reticle to match true with the vertical axis line, as I tighten the ring caps. Its surprisingly easy though in practice. normally less than 5 minutes of fiddling with it has it ready to test.

you can see from the video if the mount was moving all over the place like some made fun of the reticle isn't going to match the vertical and the scope isn't going to return to zero. I can actually hang off the mount.(225 pounds) in another video SWFA 10X that I will release when this campfire classic is done , I actually accidentally bump the mount and it doesn't knock it off either.

I am not happy with the skoped vision setup as you see it makes it difficult for the phone to capture the image in its correct orientation, I correct for it when doing the video, but the axis changes once it actually records. I can correct it yet again in my phones app but when it goes to the edit program it again shifts the video axis. you can still see what I am trying to show but its not as ideal as I would like. I am going to try using another camera and getting rid of the skoped vision setup. I really enjoy seeing what scopes really do, there are other videos out there of some high dollar scopes with tracking errors, but not many.

I think this testing has great value and I hope to get better at showing it and do some better videos. I know some will probably say this or that. its ok, I will use it to get better.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like eggs.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You’re improving CC but half of your review was STILL about why FFP is supposedly not suitable for hunting, yet at the end of your video, you essentially back pedaled.

Mount the thing on a rifle and spend a year actually using it. Shoot it at long range in some stiff winds. Jump shoot some Jacks with it. Then at least you’d have some credibility in your reviews.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
josh, no I didn't see that question asked before, ironically much of it has to do with the very thing people made most fun of. the clamps. The clamps allow instant adjustment of pitch up and down, at least close enough. I use the scope adjustments once I get it to the upper part of the tall target. The blue clamp that secures the front of the pic rail is used to adjust windage. again I just get this close. scopes adjustments once its close. The only thing left to true up is the reticle to the lines. ie is the scope level, perfectly vertical in its axis. The tall target has a plumbob hanging off it so that is true and level in the middle. although I think as long as the scope and the lines match the result would be the same. however I still level the target. The only thing really is to carefully tighten up the rings, probably the most time consuming thing of all. if I tighten one side down it often shifts the reticle out of vertical, so I have some trial and error getting the reticle to match true with the vertical axis line, as I tighten the ring caps. Its surprisingly easy though in practice. normally less than 5 minutes of fiddling with it has it ready to test.

you can see from the video if the mount was moving all over the place like some made fun of the reticle isn't going to match the vertical and the scope isn't going to return to zero. I can actually hang off the mount.(225 pounds) in another video SWFA 10X that I will release when this campfire classic is done , I actually accidentally bump the mount and it doesn't knock it off either.

I am not happy with the skoped vision setup as you see it makes it difficult for the phone to capture the image in its correct orientation, I correct for it when doing the video, but the axis changes once it actually records. I can correct it yet again in my phones app but when it goes to the edit program it again shifts the video axis. you can still see what I am trying to show but its not as ideal as I would like. I am going to try using another camera and getting rid of the skoped vision setup. I really enjoy seeing what scopes really do, there are other videos out there of some high dollar scopes with tracking errors, but not many.

I think this testing has great value and I hope to get better at showing it and do some better videos. I know some will probably say this or that. its ok, I will use it to get better.

Thanks....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
You’re improving CC but half of your review was STILL about why FFP is supposedly not suitable for hunting, yet at the end of your video, you essentially back pedaled.

Mount the thing on a rifle and spend a year actually using it. Shoot it at long range in some stiff winds. Jump shoot some Jacks with it. Then at least you’d have some credibility in your reviews.

John

Agreed...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

+1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Man them hands don't get outside much....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Have you got a return label yet for a refund? Seriously.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
instant campfire classic? will I finally be run off as the biggest bull$hitter of all time. will it fail the tracking test?

No, no one takes any notice of your nonsense, unless it is to have a laugh at your expense.
I tried to watch that drivel but gave up after a couple of minutes
It was like trying to ram an ice pick in your own ear

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I suffered the full video...............

The 3-9x42 HD is MY FAVORITE scope for anything other than small varmints..........IE ground squirrels.

The glass is better than your V4 Conquest 4-16 that you had on the table...........you'd be lying if you don't agree.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll give you $475 for the SWFA 3-9 HD.........FYI. If you wanna sell it, shoot me a PM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Where's all your guys reviews at? At least he's trying to do something productive, instead of just hanging out on a forum degrading people. Wtf guys. You need a little Jesus in your lives. You know.. love thy neighbor..

I been here a week max and this place is toxic as fuuuck.

You can lead a horse...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Sorry....but I'm not watching it. Sighted 2 more in last Saturday.....and all was very good.

I mounted one up on one of my Kimber Montana .223's this afternoon.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just got back from the range.......but, I watched his video because curiosity got the best of me. Glad to see it made his approval...haha

3 shots and sited in where I wanna be at 100 yards.

25 yards bore site........

Strelok pro app told me I needed to be 1 Mil Low at 25 yards for my intended 150 yard zero....

First shot, 2 Mils low, .5 Mil to the right............measured with the reticle, scope set on 4x
Moved scope 10 clicks up.......5 clicks left

Moved setup to the 100 yard targets.........

Shot this group with factory nosler custom 40gr BT that I bought on clearance for $.024 a shot shipped to my door........I have 5,000 of them.

Yeah, "they work"................glass is phenomenal, but most importantly, track like a laser

Last edited by screaminweasil; 01/13/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Musicianized

I been here a week max and this place is toxic as

Takes a thick hide to hang out much on the Optics or Campfire subforums. Generally more civil on any of the others. The knowledge and experience is usually worth the occasional burned fingers.

Stick around, it gets worse. laugh

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Pretty sure no one has a gun to your head, forcing you to stay? The door swings both ways.

Take care, Willie

Last edited by wdenike; 01/13/20.

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 32 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.