Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Matty,
Just curious but what sort of accuracy are you getting with the Sierra bullets and what are your expectations?

Last edited by RinB; 01/13/20.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Answer is simple, 250g partitions in the existing 338, AND buy a 416, shoot some bears with both. Report back to us this time next year!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Matty99669
In 2019 I shot 3 bears.
First was a spring black bear (350lb.)I shot 3 times from 80 yards. First shot was shoulder/lung, second was lung/lung, third was lung/heart. He still had about 45 seconds of fight in him after the third shot.
Second bear was a brown bear from 150 yards. Hit him twice. First shot was shoulder into chest. He ran uphill and I sent a quartering shot just behind his ribs into his chest cavity. I waited 45min and followed him. Blood everywhere, after 1/2 mile I found bone fragments from his shoulder. I followed him through a burned area of forest for 4.5 miles and lost him when he crossed a river.
Third was a brown bear a few weeks later in late fall. First shot was double lung from 100 yards. Watched him run across a creek and onto a hillside. Second shot was lung/gut from about 400 yards. 9 foot bear. I found one bullet. It had great expansion, penetrated about 2 feet and was intact.
Im shooting a Tikka T3 lite .338wm with my favorite reloads. 225 sp's (its what my rifle likes). Ive had problems not dropping caribou also. Its not a matter of accuracy. Im just tired of chasing [bleep]. Especially when its big game a long ways from the boat. Does anyone have moose/brown bear experience with .375 ultra mag .416 ruger, or .416 rem mag? Specifically have you had multiple well placed shots and watched them keep running?

I have read the whole thread, and honestly do not even know where to start.

My first thought:
1. Are you trolling?
2. Who has trouble killing bears with a 338 Win Mag?
3. Who has trouble getting a Tikka to shoot?

My first suggestion to you, is to not get a bigger cartridge as you are obviously having trouble with the current one. But if you want to go bigger, a 416 Ruger, Ruger, or Rigby would be a big step up. If you have failures with that diameter, move up to 458. If you can not handle those two, then you should drop down to a 375 H&H, or Ruger. If you are still having problems, you need to adjust the nut pulling the trigger.

If you are willing to give your 338 another try.

Pick a premium bullet. Monolithic, NPT, SAF, or bonded. Whatever YOU have confidence in, and can get to shoot satisfactorily. A 185gr mono through 275gr SAF will work.

Study the heck out of bear anatomy and shoot to break them down. Because no matter what cartridge you shoot, a double lung hit typically results in a critter running off a ways. If it keeps running, then you have less than ideal shot placement or bullet failure.

Last edited by CRS; 01/13/20.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

If you want more “thump” plus range get a 375 either H&H or Ruger. The bigger 375’s are very difficult to shoot well especially in a rifle of reasonable weight. For a long time I thought a 416 was much more effective but one of the 375’s is more than enough plus it has much more range, provided you use the Barnes 270 TSX.

I have used that combo to kill 5 Cape buffalo with a single shot on each. When using Partitions or AFrames the results were much less decisive. Bullets matter more than bore size.

I used a 338 Win enough to decide it wasn’t any more effective than a big 30. Actually I believe a 30/06 loaded with 168 TTSX bullets would consistently out perform your 338/Sierra load.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Again, the 375 Ultra, and all of the 416’s you mentioned are unmanageable in the kind of rifle you want to carry in brown bear country.

IC B2

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No need for a larger cartridge or cal. If you shoot out to 600y and still want a 'sturdy' bullet just get 185ttsx, 210ttsx, 225ttsx or 225 accubonds. However, some of the 'quickest' body shot deaths I have seen with my 338 were Hornady SSTs and bergers. They break up but I think with good speed and enough penetration they cause a lot of 'shock' leading to quick deaths. Nway, changed the rifle to a 300wsm and could not be happier.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Haven't heard from OP in a bit.

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluefish
Haven't heard from OP in a bit.

That's normal in these "my mind is made up so just tell me what I want to hear" threads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sierra bullets are way too soft, and I gave up on them for anything bigger than a groundhog or paper.

I don't understand why they don't make a premium bonded version.

Anyway, I killed my 8.5ft mountain grizz with 200 accubonds out of a 300rum.

They penetrated 3ft of grizz....1/4 away shots and we're found perfectly mushroomed under the hide behind the shoulder and chest.

He rolled down a ridge and died.

No way a 338 isn't enough gun for big bears.

It's the pos Sierra's you are using

Try the 338 accubond, problem solved

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hicountry; 01/14/20.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
In 2019 I shot 3 bears.
First was a spring black bear (350lb.)I shot 3 times from 80 yards. First shot was shoulder/lung, second was lung/lung, third was lung/heart. He still had about 45 seconds of fight in him after the third shot.
Second bear was a brown bear from 150 yards. Hit him twice. First shot was shoulder into chest. He ran uphill and I sent a quartering shot just behind his ribs into his chest cavity. I waited 45min and followed him. Blood everywhere, after 1/2 mile I found bone fragments from his shoulder. I followed him through a burned area of forest for 4.5 miles and lost him when he crossed a river.
Third was a brown bear a few weeks later in late fall. First shot was double lung from 100 yards. Watched him run across a creek and onto a hillside. Second shot was lung/gut from about 400 yards. 9 foot bear. I found one bullet. It had great expansion, penetrated about 2 feet and was intact.
Im shooting a Tikka T3 lite .338wm with my favorite reloads. 225 sp's (its what my rifle likes). Ive had problems not dropping caribou also. Its not a matter of accuracy. Im just tired of chasing [bleep]. Especially when its big game a long ways from the boat. Does anyone have moose/brown bear experience with .375 ultra mag .416 ruger, or .416 rem mag? Specifically have you had multiple well placed shots and watched them keep running?

You didn't lose a bear because of the .338 Cartridge, you lost it because of the inadequately constructed bullet for the task you gave it.

Nosler and Swift make Partition bullets with the Swift bonded at the front and the Barnes X bullets are ideal from 225gn to 265 grains some in TSX and others in TTSX design, but all, any bear adequate.
Change your bullet and lose the problem forever.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A Sierra bullet would be about the last bullet I would use for bear. Deer and elk, yes.

Noslers and TSX’S or even Hornandy’s.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by keith
Answer is simple, 250g partitions in the existing 338, AND buy a 416, shoot some bears with both. Report back to us this time next year!

I like where your heads at! TTSX, Partition, Swift, etc in the 338 and probably the same mixture. Never taken a grizz, but enough elk with the 250 Partition to know it isn't easy to stop. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RinB

I used a 338 Win enough to decide it wasn’t any more effective than a big 30. Actually I believe a 30/06 loaded with 168 TTSX bullets would consistently out perform your 338/Sierra load.

This^^............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by irfubar
I predict you will catch hell before this thread is over... I will not add to that, I will say this is a lesson in choosing the proper bullet for the job.

Im starting to see that... The thing is, I just started reloading last year. Ive been shooting that rifle in Alaska for 10+ years. 90% of that time its been with factory ammo in all varieties. Ive only droped (stone dead) two moose and a handful of caribou. Most animals run alot further than I would think. Now, 375 rum, 416 rug, 416 rem anyone?

A larger caliber is not the answer, IMO. But won't hurt if you can handle it. And if you want another rifle. But it still comes back to the bullet/load.

Tho I have not tried them myself, I've heard nothing but good about the TTSX performance - tho I don't recall anything about recovery distances. I use plain jane 225 and 250 in my .338, favoring the 250. No complaints. Critters shot with either have never gone far, if at all.

I don't hunt the big bears, and only take blacks for meat once in awhile as opportunity offers. .243, .270, 30-30, and .30-06 have proven adequate - bang flops all, in fact.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
In 2019 I shot 3 bears.

You didn't lose a bear because of the .338 Cartridge, you lost it because of the inadequately constructed bullet for the task you gave it.

Nosler and Swift make Partition bullets with the Swift bonded at the front and the Barnes X bullets are ideal from 225gn to 265 grains some in TSX and others in TTSX design, but all, any bear adequate.
Change your bullet and lose the problem forever.

Let me offer a little more here.....
If you down load that 224gn Sierra to around 2550fps using 64gn of VARGET or around 2650fps using 67gn of H 4350, both with magnum primers you will not stress the bullet as much making it more suitable for deer hunting. That was you can use up your stock and get some value from it.

With the often recommended 250gn Nosler Partition, 69gn of IMR 4350 or 70gn of H 4350 will get you around 2680fps and I found the IMR version slightly more accurate in my rifle, though I would recommend the Hodgdon version for an Alaskan hunt if temperatures require heavy clothing.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sierra 225 gr sbt

Holy fu ck dude. You keep using the same bullet after multiple failures, now your asking about 416 rem, etc? This chit is never not funny. Ive never had an issue dropping any animal with the 338wm.

My favorite post of the thread.

So far...

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used to shoot the 225g hornady interbond in my 338s. Not a very common choice but a good one. Opened fast to a nice wide mushroom but held together as it smashed stuff. BC ran higher than what it was rated too.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The fact is- both the bears I recovered last year were double lung shot. The blackie had one through the heart. Its just not a matter of shot placement, or expansion. the shots did what a .338 does. We just have some big pissed off bears full of adrenalin. Ive shot 8 brownies and countless black bears. Im not some dude shooting columbian blacktails. I dont like following them through the brush when they refuse to go down. I want more kenetic energy and knock it the [bleep] down. Im looking for a bigger rifle and asking opinions on calibers from guys that own and shoot them at dangerous game. Nuff said.

You need a tougher bullet and to change your shot placement.

You're shooting a relatively soft bullet at high velocities into the lungs. I'm going to hazard a guess that those bullets absolutely wrecked the lungs on the way through. However, you aren't going to generate "knockdown" with lung shots. You will drop an animal either by CNS hit, i.e. the proverbial light switch, or hitting a limb and disabling the mechanical support from the skeleton. A tougher bullet is better for these type of shots.

If you up your kinetic energy but double lung you're just wasting that extra energy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .338 was made for Alaska, and killing Bears. Your choice of bullet is the problem. I’ve shot 3 Grizzlies and when I go after an animal like that, I want the best bullets on the market. Accuracy isn’t the first consideration. The last Bear I shot was a B&C Grizzly. 210 grain Nosler Partition at 2916 FPS. 1 shot, dead bear. Choose a Premium bullet. If you can afford to hunt the big bears, you better be able to afford good bullets. Seems simple to me. If that’s not clear, you shouldn’t be hunting them. One of them may decide to come your way.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JBabcock
The .338 was made for Alaska, and killing Bears. Your choice of bullet is the problem. I’ve shot 3 Grizzlies and when I go after an animal like that, I want the best bullets on the market. Accuracy isn’t the first consideration. The last Bear I shot was a B&C Grizzly. 210 grain Nosler Partition at 2916 FPS. 1 shot, dead bear. Choose a Premium bullet. If you can afford to hunt the big bears, you better be able to afford good bullets. Seems simple to me. If that’s not clear, you shouldn’t be hunting them. One of them may decide to come your way.

Truth

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.