Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have several M70 rifles...some of them have standard 2pc bottom metal and a couple of them have Williams 1pc bottom metal.

Does anyone here know if the PTG aluminum 1pc unit has the same footprint as the Williams bottom metal?

One of my rifles is about to go on a diet and I am looking at where I can shave a few ounces.* It is sitting in a light weight fiberglass stock so I can modify, fill, sand if needed to make it work...but I'd rather not have to if possible.

*Disclaimer--I know someone is going to come along and say that the M70 is a bad place to start for a light weight rig...I know this...I'm still going to follow through on this endeavor though. The looney in me requires it. grin

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am not sure the footprint between the two is the same but I think it is close.

I've used the PT&G on post 64's and have 4 pre 64 M70's with the williams. I have inletted both and it wasn't too bad of project.
Just a FYI I think williams is out of production as he is moving his shop.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Same "foot print" but the quality of the PTG bottom metal is a crapshoot. After the stainless one I bought, I won't buy another.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by McCray
Same "foot print" but the quality of the PTG bottom metal is a crapshoot. After the stainless one I bought, I won't buy another.

I have heard about the PTG crapshoot before...can you elaborate on the issues you encountered with their bottom metal?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The main problem was the spring loaded button that holds the floorplate shut. They had drilled the hole for it in the wrong place and then re-drilled (or milled) it larger to correct it. The oversized hole allowed the button to sort of wallow around and if you pushed the button sideways it would release the floorplate. The button was also blued on a stainless bottom metal.

I turned an offset stainless bushing and pressed it into their oversize hole, replaced the blue button with a factory stainless piece and replaced the weak spring they had provided with a factory spring.

The hinge pin for the floorplate was undersized and allowed the plate to wobble around when open and swing back and forth when closed. That was an easy fix, I just drilled it out and installed a larger pin.

I don't remember for sure, but seems like I also had to drill out the action screw holes so that the screws didn't bind as they were tightened.

All in all, way more work than should be required for what should have been a bolt on part!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
McCray, thanks for the feedback.

I went ahead and rolled the dice on one of these units figuring if I didn't like it or anything looked wonky, I would just return it. My initial impressions were pretty good.

I went ahead and installed the unit on my rifle with a new set of NECG stainless hex head action screws and torqued things in place. The PTG unit did fit into the same inletting as the Williams unit with almost identical dimensions. The one difference I noticed was that the front of the unit around the forward action screw is just slightly narrower than the Williams piece so I have a slight gap that wasn't present with the Williams piece. Only talking about a millimeter or less on each side. Not really noticeable and shouldn't cause any issue but I may get around to bedding it one day so the gap is gone.

In case anyone wants to know weights for their own projects:

Williams 1pc chromoly ...7.5oz
Factory 2pc ..................4.3oz
PTG 1pc aluminum ........2.8oz

Those weights are the bottom metal only without the follower or spring.

This rifle used to weight less than 8lbs all up but I decided to put a dialing scope on it and replace the fixed 6x. This added 10oz to the rifle landing me at 8lbs, 5oz for an empty rifle. Swapping out this bottom metal knocked 4.7 ounces off that without any major headache. And if I decide to sell the Williams unit, it would be free weight savings.

Not much in the big scheme of things...but a rifle looney's work is never done.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good info! Thank you War Eagle

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure how far you want to take it but Rifles Inc. really shaves a lot of weight off a M70. I would just go with the parts that don't show but still a couple more ounces reduction.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
That is something that I need to think on and figure out just what my goal is. I know it will never be a NULA or Kimber Montana...and I am okay with that. Still...the gears get to turning and I start wondering how much I could shave if I did "XYZ" to it. Then I think about how much it would cost to shave those ounces and I realize I started with the wrong platform.....

Being left handed sucks. Its times like this that I really wish I could just go buy a Montana with the bolt handle on the correct side. Bastards....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by McCray

I have heard about the PTG crapshoot before...can you elaborate on the issues you encountered with their bottom metal?

I’ve had several PT&G units where the inletting for the forward action screw was too deep... you’d snug up the screw and bind the bolt! Their solution was to cut the screw... my solution to them was machine the damn things consistently.

That co just sucks... the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So what are good options for a replacement aftermarket floorplate?
Especially for two piece floorplates? I’ve used Williams in the past, and never any issues for me. Solid fit and construction. It doesn’t even look as if they offer two pieces any longer?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Williams=high quality. PTG=mediocre quality and exceedingly poor customer service.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Is the Williams even available new anymore? Their website says to contact brownells but they haven’t had them forever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really want to give the Sunny Hill M70 aluminum a try...but they are not cheap at $460.00 a pop.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I really want to give the Sunny Hill M70 aluminum a try...but they are not cheap at $460.00 a pop.

I’ve been waiting on them for quite a while to have them available. In any form. Last I spoke with them there should be a batch of stainless available now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Beardhunter, William is not making them currently, Ross is in the process of moving.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have heard of some of PTG's shenanigans in the past...but like I said, I figured I would roll the dice. I bought it through Midway so I figured a return would be fairly painless if I had any issues (instead of dealing with PTG directly).

To Brad's comment about machined depth of the unit, I had no issue with this one. It fit flush with the inletting just like the Williams unit did that it replaced. Here are a couple of pics that compare one rifle with a Williams and the other rifle that I installed the PTG unit on. Both of these stocks are McMillan and when I ordered them, I specified the same inletting for Williams 1pc bottom metal.

PTG on the left; Williams on the right

[Linked Image]

PTG on the left; Williams on the right

[Linked Image]

As I mentioned previously, when I installed this unit, I also installed some NECG stainless allen head action screws. These come to you longer than necessary so I had to grind them down to fit. I went slow checking that I didn't bind the bolt or bottom out on the rear. When I was done, I put the calipers on them and the lengths were essentially the same (few thou longer actually) than the factory supplied action screws. My reason for pointing this out just confirms that the PTG unit is not milled any shallower than the Williams.

Not saying I am a PTG fanboy in all this...still like the Williams units and don't plan to change out the Williams on the other rifle any time soon...just thought I would share my experience.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Oh, and both Williams units that I currently own were purchased through Brownell's several years ago. I haven't kept up on their production availability at all lately. Since I was ceracoting, I would have preferred stainless but when I purchased, stainless wasn't available.

And I am definitely not about to drop $400+ on Sunny Hill's stuff.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Beardhunter, William is not making them currently, Ross is in the process of moving.

Thank you good to know. Have to say the Williams is my preferred.
The PTG I have I have no complaints with although it sat too deep in a b&c inlet where a used Winny one piece I got from eBay fit perfect.
My only reason for wanting a sunny hill is an eBay McWoody I picked up for my 375 has a sunny hill inlet. Probably money ahead to send it out for reinletting.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sunny hill's aluminum bottom metal requires your mag box to be cut and its two pieces bolted together. For the price they want Indont think it's a good deal given the two points mentioned above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.