Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I was talking with a gunsmith friend last evening, and have been thinking. (I know, dangerous) He mentioned that he wants to do a test on blued barrels, hand lapping before bluing vs after bluing. He also said that he believes bluing increases friction, and if the barrel was lapped then blued, it will shoot better once the bluing wears off. Just curious about your thoughts on this, is it reasonable to think so? And if the bluing does indeed increase friction between barrel and bullet, does it not stand to reason that as the barrel is shot more, velocity will increase? Just pondering here and would welcome some input. BTW, the gunsmith is a guy who does not just believe what he is told, he tests things out and arrives at his own conclusions. He just does not do enough blued barrels to do a test as most guys that want accuracy go with stainless.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most gun smiths use a chamber and bore plug when bluing. Since it is a type of oxidation or corrosion it is a fair assumption that it could be rougher and cause more friction but it would be difficult to test. Shooting the bore clean the difference might be so slight that the slight amount of throat erosion could off set this. This is a long way to say I don't know.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've never heard of somebody bluing the bore of a rifle. ( on purpose, that is.) It makes no sense.

Last edited by reivertom; 01/14/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
From Brownells:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I started bluing in 1983, I started with Brownells salts and used them until I quit bluing about two years ago. That warning that Brownells published, made a lot of sense to me and I never even thought of plugging the bore ----ever! I blued hundreds of rifles and I doubt any damage or pressure increases took place. My thinking on the bluing solution inside the barrels disappeared on the first shot through the bore. I also doubt that it improved accuracy either, but plugging the bores definately improved my chances of burning the crap out of myself and everything else.
I knew a dumb-ass that splattered hot (292 degrees approx) bluing salts on his bare arms while bluing that left permanent disfiguration on his arms.
I don't know for sure, but I doubt the gun companies plug the barrels either.
I have shot unblued barrels many times after installing them. Before bluing them. Some I sighted in after the rifle was completed and I didn't see any differences in groups etc.
All I know about this subject is from personal experience, I do think that Bob Brownell knew what he was talking about.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd bet the government started doing this to save time and increase production. If you don't have to plug and unplug a bore it would go faster, and in the long run be cheaper. I never thought about the possibility of the plug blowing out. I just have never noticed the inside of a barrel being blued. You learn something every day. My Dad was an old time pharmacist that still did compounding when most has stopped. Several times a year, a local well-known gunsmith would have dad make up a pint of bluing from a recipe that he had. He made it for them for 40 years or more. It had some poisonous chemicals in it and required care in mixing.I don't even know if a person could get the chemicals these days. The gunsmith was known for his great bluing jobs, so it must have been good stuff..

Last edited by reivertom; 01/14/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bigJ
From Brownells:

"Tests were run by the government".....
On a scale of 1-10 how much faith do you place in the bureaucrats who selected the people who were paid to do the study?

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/14/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by bigJ
From Brownells:

"Tests were run by the government".....
On a scale of 1-10 how much faith do you place in the bureaucrats who selected the people who were paid to do the study?

You have a point, but are there studies that show otherwise? I am guessing this may be a pretty specialized question, maybe too far off the deep end for anything more than speculation.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am not familiar enough with the chemistry of bluing to comment myself....

As to your question: I do not know, and have not yet looked, though I have dabbled with cold bluing in the past...

My first thought on reading the post was that maybe it fills in the surface like waxing your car...but then I recalled the thread about removing rust and a comment from Mule Deer(?) That removing rust was a mechanical process and another that bluing was a type of rust...

So I opted for a government work comment to play for time...

I think I will do some reading tonight...

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of anyone plugging a bore.

1Minute
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Interesting.
SWDinc.com (A company that sells gun blued fasteners) indicates that hot blueing creates Fe3O4 (Magnetite) at/into the surface of the steel. Magnetometer is a rock that is magnetic......

This is really interesting with respect to a thread about a magneto-something or other velocity measuring tool, (vs. a chronograph) which some fire members have said degrades accuracy....

But that is another topic.
The sit also says that "black oxide parts have improved publicity and anti-aging characteristics due to the after-finish (oil or wax) resulting in smoother running, mating parts."

So based on the statement of a company who gets their business from the superiority of black oxide fasteners, it is still the oil which makes bullets pass more smoothly through your bore....

Hope this helps.

-OMotS

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You may not want to be standing over the bluing tanks when the plugs blow out splattering 200 + degree caustic bluing salts all over. There is a good reason not to plug the bore when bluing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somewhere in my reading of JB's wisdom, he pointed out the fact that a perfectly smooth bore could actually present more friction to a bullet passing down it simply because it allows more contact between the bullet's surface and the bore's surface. If bluing "roughs up" the bore just a bit I do not believe it would have any negative effect on velocity or pressures.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is really interesting with respect to a thread about a magneto-something or other velocity measuring tool, (vs. a chronograph) which some fire members have said degrades accuracy....

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're speaking of the MagnetoSpeed chronograph. The sensing technique used by the device has nothing to do with influencing accuracy, it is due to the fact that you've got something hanging on the barrel near the muzzle interfering with normal vibration patterns.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
RiverSide,
What I am thinking is that if the entire barrel, action etc is slightly magnetized and the instrument is measuring a disturbance in the magnetic field... perhaps there is a subtle factor being glossed over.
We know that an electrical current can be created by passing a metallic object through an electrical field, as well as a magnetic field being generated by a current being passed through a magnetic field ( induction) if you have read about cell phone chargers where you just lay the phone on a pad.
Perhaps the fact that the bluing magnitizes the rifle and the magnetospeed strengthens the field since the bluing will transmit the field of the magnets...we can better understand why the Magnetospeed causes issues. Perhaps it is more than the Boss harmonics issue.
I feel I am doing a poor job of explaining this, but perhaps you get what I am getting at.

-OMotS

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't know about faster or easier to clean.

But when hot water blueing i never plugged the barrel or chamber.

I cleaned the bore before it was shot and never noticed anything amiss.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ok. Sat and composed my thoughts a bit..
So a chronograph has two coils set up a few inches from the muzzle. They measure the disruption in the field between them.

Because the magnetograph hangs from the muzzle, the coating (gun bluing) may spread the field intentionally created by the designers. Since a copper jacketed round may have a current induced into it. There may be an effect on accuracy. Testing a jlead unjacketed round with this instrument may help to evaluate this.

Call it the particle accelerator effect..

Fodder for for the gunwriters..

-OMotS

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
So a chronograph has two coils set up a few inches from the muzzle. They measure the disruption in the field between them.

Because the magnetograph hangs from the muzzle, the coating (gun bluing) may spread the field intentionally created by the designers. Since a copper jacketed round may have a current induced into it. There may be an effect on accuracy. Testing a jlead unjacketed round with this instrument may help to evaluate this.

Purely anecdotal but I’ve not noticed any impact shift with heavier barrels and the magnetospeed, for me
It’s only been observable with lighter barrels. And lots of guys have built stands for magnetospeeds and write that after doing so they didn’t notice any impact shifts. If the shifts were due to magnetic field disruption they would still show up in both the events but they dont making it more likely that it’s just due to the chrono hanging off a light weight barrel and messing with harmonics.

Also my understanding is that magnetite CAN become magnetized but isn’t always or necessary so. Just about any steel or iron can probably be magnetized if exposed to certain conditions

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I was talking with a gunsmith friend last evening, and have been thinking. (I know, dangerous) He mentioned that he wants to do a test on blued barrels, hand lapping before bluing vs after bluing. He also said that he believes bluing increases friction, and if the barrel was lapped then blued, it will shoot better once the bluing wears off. Just curious about your thoughts on this, is it reasonable to think so? And if the bluing does indeed increase friction between barrel and bullet, does it not stand to reason that as the barrel is shot more, velocity will increase? Just pondering here and would welcome some input. BTW, the gunsmith is a guy who does not just believe what he is told, he tests things out and arrives at his own conclusions. He just does not do enough blued barrels to do a test as most guys that want accuracy go with stainless.

It would be an interesting experiment, I guess. I rather doubt that it makes much if any diffference, but I don't have any experimental evidence to back that thought up.

Bluing is really just a passivation process, in which a microscopically-thin layer of black iron oxide (Fe3O4) is developed on the surface,by the transformation of the surface iron, to give some small resistance to the development of the other form of iron oxide (Fe2O3) which is reddish-coloured and comparatively bulky - rust, in other words. The resistance to rusting really does need oil, wax or something similar to be effective longer term. Done properly the oxide transformation to form the blue should not significantly affect the smoothness of the surface, and I can't immediately see how it would increase friction.

On the other question "does it not stand to reason that as the barrel is shot more, velocity will increase?" I don't think it does stand to reason. The bullet is softer than the bore and, unless covered with grit or lapping compound it is not going to wear the bore or smooth it. I have seen barrels that have had thousands of rounds through them, but away from the chamber and throat still bear the machining marks from the day they were made. What will generally do for a barrel is either neglect (eg pitting), damage (eg rod wear, bulges) or, more commonly, erosion - the gradual washing away of the rifling in front of the chamber.My experience of the latter is that rather than making a rifle shoot faster the converse is more likely, if anything.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I don't see how the bluing plays any part in this. The Magnetospeed sensors are forward from the muzzle, and triggered by induction caused by the metallic bullet travelling past each of them.The barrel material has nothing to do with the measurement. Call it the "innocent bystander not affecting the outcome effect", perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.