Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Has anyone ever tried to hit a deer?.

No.

Did try and hit a coyote a time or two though. grin

Had my ex-bitch sister in law out in front of me in a parking lot, waving her arms and getting in front of my pickup as my late wife and I were leaving once though.

The temptation to hit the gas pedal instead of the brakes was almost more than I could resist.

Almost.

I do think she got an awaking as the truck skidded to a stop and she was able to grab my deer guard though. smile

Bet she had to change drawers after that one....

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Deer whistles and evasive action didn't stop the suicidal doe.
MIL's little 'ol lady bridge-playing partner keeps a deer guard
mounted on her Lincoln sedan out there.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
Deer whistles and evasive action didn't stop the suicidal doe.
MIL's little 'ol lady bridge-playing partner keeps a deer guard
mounted on her Lincoln sedan out there.

Put deer whistles on my wife's pickup a long time ago. State Farm Ins. was giving them away....

In about a week's time, she had run over two deer in separate incidents.

After the 2nd one, I went out and took those deer whistles off. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sometimes the whistles get their attention, but I don't know about deterance.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've hit 5 deer and one antelope with pick-ups over the years. Got lucky with the antelope as she tried to change directions at the last moment and lost her footing and went under my Tacoma, so no damage. A fawn that I hit with my F250 was small enough that it did no damage. I also hit a doe when the roads were really icy. I wasn't going very fast and she couldn't get her footing to get out of my way, BUT I hit her soft enough that she caused no damage. The others did significant damage.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Deer - once - caused $7K damage to my truck.. Had lless than 12K miles on it back then...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
that steer i hit made good steaks. hit it in the head with the bumper. deputy sheriff told me i could take it, went and got a come along, boards for a ramp and loaded it up. 900# steer.

If you would have hit that steer here in Wyoming, you'd have gotten a bill for the steer from the deputy courtesy of the rancher. And you wouldn't have gotten the steer. Open range and all that BS.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

ironic thing was I was on my way to my brothers house to go hunting opening day of doe season......[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hit a SMALL pig in Texas one night at 80 mph in a plastic rental car...damn near totaled it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Rooster7
In my experience, you can go a long time without hitting a deer and once you hit one, it seems like you become a deer magnet after that. I've had 3 run into the side of my trucks and have ran over a few with no damage.

When the kids were small the wife had a mini-van, I took it to work one day and had a big doe come out of the ditch and jump over the van. Just her hind hooves clacked the top side of the roof on her way down. After that the wife hit several deer with that damn van. lol

My wife was 50 when she hit her first deer and then hit another one less than a month later. I hit my first one when I was 52 and hit the second one about a year after that. We killed four in less than a year and a half.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't have to live in rural PA, to wind up with deer on your hood. I've never hit a deer, had three hit me and I've narrowly avoided another several dozen..

Worst one took out the front end of the truck,everything mangled but for the hood. Destroyed the radiator. Another truck,crushed a fender, headlight and grille. Had a small doe bounce off the side of another vehicle, somehow did little visible damage. All of those deer were running full tilt boogie, couldn't be avoided, all at night.

Know two people that had a deer come "feet first" through a windshield, causing them major head injuries from flailing hooves. Both later succumbed to those injuries.

Following several semis on I-81 a few years ago. Deer came out of the wooded median, Truck in passing lane hit it, deer went spinning through the air and right across in front of the windshield of the cab over truck in the right lane. Ol' boy locked her up, damn near caused a chain reaction pile up. Quite a few deer die along that stretch, coming out of those wooded medians.

Suspect having a spinning deer in front of his windshield at 70 MPH, just might have caused him to soil hisself? PA always ranks in the top three states for deer/vehicle collisions. Yet some still yowl about "no deer" here.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by poboy
Sometimes the whistles get their attention, but I don't know about deterance.

Unless the whistle spooks them I never could see how they help. Deer can hear, see and smell vehicles coming and they are surely smart enough to put the sound and sight of vehicles together. They watch cars and trucks go by all the time in daylight and dark, in fair and stormy weather from the time they are born.

Yet they seem to never associate moving vehicles with eminent danger and will sometimes walk or run right in front of them or into the side of them as if they were invisible or not even in the same time/space dimension.

If vehicles smelled like predators or were covered in wolf or mountain lion hair I wonder if that would make a difference to them.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Something like this?

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
One old joke in Canada is, if you ever get lost in the bush, just follow a porcupine, they are all headed to the TransCanada highway to get run over.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hit a doe just outside the parking lot where I worked. She came up out of a hollow from the driver's side. I didn't see her in the dark until she was in front of my vehicle. The first deer I hit was a four point buck with a C-130H on a touch and go. He gored a hole in the skin just below the battery compartment then was slung under the plane and took out a VHF antenna.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Well maybe we need to make those whistles sound like a wolf howl?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10yrs ago brand new grand cherokee 45mph+$7700 in damage

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Strangest one was when I was flying through Iowa coming home from a hunting trip. Stopped at a choke-n-puke for a gut bomb, geyser, & a bag of grease, and hit the road again. First big bite, a blob of lettuce fell in my lap, & when I looked down to pick it up, the truck did a little dance.......wtf..... Looked in the rear view mirror to see a doe rolling down the center line.

I pulled over to check the front end, and only saw where the left front corner of the bumper was tweaked, and deer shlt on the tire & wheel. Walked back, pulled her off the road, and hit the dusty trail.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've ran over, hit, and had deer run into me 9 times in the last 33 years since living rural.

Best "story" is one most won't believe.

Hit a deer with my 85 GMC. It bounce off the left front fender, and was laying on the pavement, flipping it's head up.

I got out my shotgun to finish it off and there was a house just up the road, didn't want to make any noise, so I hit it over the head, breaking one horn, knocking it out, and hitting the pavement with the barrels of my shotgun.

"Thought" I had finished it off....So, I opened the canopy, and tailgate, and tossed it in.

For some reason, I left the canopy open, then started home with the "dead deer"

Got down the road a little, and looked in the mirror, and the deer was STANDING up! Pretty soon it was BOUNCING and JUMPING around!

I started slowing down, and the deer jumped out of the canopy, OVER the tailgate and took off RUNNING!

All I got was a smashed up truck, bent up shotgun, and beat up canopy where the deer had bounced against the top, and tore out one window screen.

So much for trying to salvage a little fresh meat!

Virgil B.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I've ran over, hit, and had deer run into me 9 times in the last 33 years since living rural.

Best "story" is one most won't believe.

Hit a deer with my 85 GMC. It bounce off the left front fender, and was laying on the pavement, flipping it's head up.

I got out my shotgun to finish it off and there was a house just up the road, didn't want to make any noise, so I hit it over the head, breaking one horn, knocking it out, and hitting the pavement with the barrels of my shotgun.

"Thought" I had finished it off....So, I opened the canopy, and tailgate, and tossed it in.

For some reason, I left the canopy open, then started home with the "dead deer"

Got down the road a little, and looked in the mirror, and the deer was STANDING up! Pretty soon it was BOUNCING and JUMPING around!

I started slowing down, and the deer jumped out of the canopy, OVER the tailgate and took off RUNNING!

All I got was a smashed up truck, bent up shotgun, and beat up canopy where the deer had bounced against the top, and tore out one window screen.

So much for trying to salvage a little fresh meat!

Virgil B.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 53 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.