Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
223 is probably the best for coyotes but I really like my .204 Ruger AR15.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
ARIC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Several years ago I had Armalite make me an AR10 in 243Win, I thought it would be the perfect coyote rifle .....long story short, I was wrong.
I could never get the accuracy out of it that I expected no where close to a bolt gun, too big and bulky for quick shots and too loud!!! I don’t wear hearing protection when calling.
I very seldom ever sell a rifle but have never missed this one.
I have several custom AR15’s in dirty old 223 that work much better for coyotes

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 204 is one of the best coyote rounds out there with 40 grain bullets.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TWR

Can’t hardly argue that! I’ve had great success with it in a bolt gun.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
for an ar10 go with 6 creedmoor rather than 243

I would be curious about a 22 creed.......as well

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
if you decide on 243, be forewarned, the velocity loss from the gas gun can cause you fits, whatever twist you think you want or need, go faster. I am dealing with a 243 AR 10 twist that will shoot T90 holes with 58gr, but with 95gr + it shoots 8" and larger patterns because of loss in stability. My next one will be a 1 in 8" twist or faster

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
PSA has a 6.5 creedmoor for 899.99

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If you're set on an AR10 spend the money for top quality or you'll likely be disappointed.

As for coyotes I've killed a lot both for fun & fur with a .223, 22-250, .257 Roberts, and the .25-06 and bigger. I have tried about everything for saving pelts but the best I found was a .224" Speer 52gr HP. It had a big open tip and rarely exited near or far. I had mixed results with Ballistic tips, Blitz, TSX, Varmint Grenade, etc. I'm curious about the Valkerey (SP?) for long range in .224".

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Last edited by supercrewd; 01/13/20.

NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
CDNN sports have ar-10 243 barrels 1-9 twist on sale right now. Mine is supposed to be here Thursday

Last edited by wtroger; 01/13/20.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus Keerist...the Fhuqktards are thick on this one too. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pass the 224 Grendel,Rifle Gas and 20" is plenty. Have 'em set up for 75 ELD's and 88 ELD's both. Easy to arrange a magfed Smooch with both and the 88 ELD's .545 BC,made my herd of 243 Grendels rather sad(for good reason). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I shoot High RPM Big Frame 243's(BHW and X-Caliber) and they of course hammer schit with 105's at 3K fps,but for any kind of schlepping around,they suck in comparison to smaller frames.

Pass the Slash there and make it HEAVY. Hint.

Nobody LOVES a 223 more than I,but the 224 Grendel is for real and a whole 'nother animal. I've zero qualm gunning Lapooey hulls,for most thangs,but Starline ain't too horrid. Hornady and Norma suck heavy ass and are absolute Dog Schit Fhuqking JUNK. Hint.

Drool on. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Jeezus Keerist...the Fhuqktards are thick on this one too. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pass the 224 Grendel,Rifle Gas and 20" is plenty. Have 'em set up for 75 ELD's and 88 ELD's both. Easy to arrange a magfed Smooch with both and the 88 ELD's .545 BC,made my herd of 243 Grendels rather sad(for good reason). Hint.

I shoot High RPM Big Frame 243's(BHW and X-Caliber) and they of course hammer schit with 105's at 3K fps,but for any kind of schlepping around,they suck in comparison to smaller frames.

Pass the Slash there and make it HEAVY. Hint.

Nobody LOVES a 223 more than I,but the 224 Grendel is for real and a whole 'nother animal. I've zero qualm gunning Lapooey hulls,for most thangs,but Starline ain't too horrid. Hornady and Norma suck heavy ass and are absolute Dog Schit Fhuqking JUNK. Hint.

Drool on. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Stick,

What’s the advantage of 22grendel over the 224 Valkyrie? Is it in velocity?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Logistics,superior brass quality,greater case capacity,shorter case length and obviously performance...that follows suit. If only for starters. Hint.(grin)

I need to toss a coupla 224 Grendel 1-7" RPM bolt guns together,to sip from AR mags. The Gassers are just simply STUPID fhuqking accurate.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Logistics,superior brass quality,greater case capacity,shorter case length and obviously performance...that follows suit. If only for starters. Hint.(grin)

I need to toss a coupla 224 Grendel 1-7" RPM bolt guns together,to sip from AR mags. The Gassers are just simply STUPID fhuqking accurate.

Hint.................

Thanks stick! Appreciate the info

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by TWR

Can’t hardly argue that! I’ve had great success with it in a bolt gun.

I'm really liking the 20 Tac I built recently, which is ballistically very similar to the 204. Almost no recoil and very flat shooting with 40gr VMax @ 3900. (I have also worked up the 24gr NTX to 4800 fps just for grins, but ~4700 fps is a more reasonable load with better brass life.)

I'm currently building a "walking varminter" type AR for the type of use you're talking about; 243 LBC in a 20" barrel. That's not as powerful as a 243 Win of course, but fits the AR15 frame and is plenty for coyotes, even at extended ranges. This one is getting an octagon barrel, just to be different.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 204 and I started out on a sour note. The first one I had did not like 40 grain Hornady's at all so I tried the 32's that SHOT great but I lost too many coyotes. Then the 39 gr blitz king came out and it shot well but again, I lost coyotes. I sold the gun and declared it unfit for a coyote round. Then Berger brought out the 35 gr bullet that proved to be a good coyote bullet and worked great on cats so I bought a Contender barrel and it worked ok but lacked speed. Again I got out.

Then my cousin built an AR that seemed to work pretty good and I was able to pick up a Kimber Montana in 204. It liked the 40 gr Hornady's and they killed coyotes just as well as my 22-250. It also likes the 40 grain Bergers and Noslers which both kill better than I ever expected. If I didn't have the Montana, I'd build a 20" 204 and never look back. Hide damage is minimal and I don't recall a cat or coyote that ran anywhere.

It's not as versatile as bigger calibers but for what I do, it works just fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just finished putting a 20” BHW barrel chambered in 6mm Creedmoor on a Palmetto PA10 rifle. Used an Odin adjustable gas block JP high pressure bolt and Larue MBT trigger. The factory Hornady Black,Match and Precision Hunter Ammo all have shot under MOA consistently as well as handloads with Sierra 107’s and 108 ELD’s with H4350. I agree something on the AR15 platform will be lighter and quicker handling but if you want an AR10 by all means go for it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You probably won’t like how much it’s going to weight. smile

the DMPS oracle was one of the lightest ones I found when thinking about doing the same 5 plus years ago, and it was still heavier than I wanted.

243’s REALLY anchor a yote so I finally got a 243 Stalker BAR

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/28/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shot a ton of coyotes with my 15 using the 55 Vmax, an awesome round. Thought I needed a 10 in 6.5 creed. When I had it all built and scoped it was the heaviest gun I owned. Never even shot it, parted it out and sold it off. Now I am back to my 20" AR15 and happy as a lark killing yotes. Use to skin back when we were getting $100 a pelt but now there is no market so leave them where they lay. My first coyote gun was a Ruger 77 in 220 swift, now that was a killing machine.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.