Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image from oi1377.photobucket.com]

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Headed to Bullock county Jan 23-25 hopefully ol sad daddy will slip up!

Dont eat the big white mint!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's really cool...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That is cool clint, quite the difference across the state..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The whole Alabama rut and restocking fascinates the hell out of me.

In looking at, say, Calhoun County (denoted 6 on the map), it shows mid-November as peak, then an area only two counties west at the same latitude shows late January.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's quite interesting. The map is pretty close but I think it should be noted that those are termed "peak" rut dates. I think the overlap of the areas and spread/inter-breeding of the different genetics may be causing a much longer and maybe less intense rut in some areas. Some of that may be due to heavy buck harvesting and not enough does being taken in some areas as well.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Very interesting.
Pennsylvania had a two decade restocking program that began in 1906. Over 1,000 deer were imported from Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Maine, New York and New Jersey. There are definitely different looking deer in different areas. Prime time for the rut seems to run from Halloween until mid-November.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow...half of the bucks in my area have already shed their antlers and some them bama boys just now chasing tail

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heading to Union Grove Marshall County, Alabama, 1/18 - 1/25. Been hunting that area for 13-15 years. Historically that week has been right in peak rut.

Ed
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WL205
Wow...half of the bucks in my area have already shed their antlers and some them bama boys just now chasing tail

Something odd at a place I hunt in AL last week. Rut is kicking there right now, both according to the map above and experience. Bucks should have a lot of Test flowing right now. Last week another hunter shot what he thought was a large doe. When he walked up to it he saw two raw pedicles. Was 125 lb verified weight so it was ~2.5 year old, maybe 3.5 as a rough estimate. Had 2 regular sized external nuts, no sign of being a hermaphrodite.

It's not uncommon for us to see bucks still carrying their rack in March around here. No one can figure out what the deal is with this one.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guys hunting our lease in Greenville AL on the ground now say its not quite in. Small bucks moving around and does kicking them off.
They say its warm. Im going up on the 25th thru the 1st. My guess is ifbit cools off next week the big boys will start chasing. I think I will hit it about right. Hopeful anyway. Alabama is really a hair twister when it comes to the rut.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane

In looking at, say, Calhoun County (denoted 6 on the map), it shows mid-November as peak, then an area only two counties west at the same latitude shows late January.

It's BS for the most part. Too many Does coming in heat at various times extends the rut. Ones that were not breed-because there are too many and they have a second heat-young of the year that mature early because of great habitat and weather, extends the rut. It's been 50 years since the big transplant. Whatever rut time those Deer brought with them has been assimilated into Alabama conditions. You are correct: Two counties away and the rut is two months different? I guess all of the Deer that were transplanted into one county never had any offspring that moved over to one of the others. Color me skeptical....

Addition: Have seen Bucks here around home in February and March still carrying their horns. Friend had some on his trial cam just last week with racks. One of them a better than nice 10. Weather has been warm, right now it is 44F. Blood flows better to the extremities with heat vs cold. Perhaps higher temps are a factor. According to the map, the further South you go, the later the rut.

Last edited by battue; 01/14/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by SKane

It's BS for the most part. Too many Does coming in heat at various times extends the rut. Ones that were not breed-because there are too many and they have a second heat-young of the year that mature early because of great habitat and weather, extends the rut. It's been 50 years since the big transplant. Whatever rut time those Deer brought with them has been assimilated into Alabama conditions. You are correct: Two counties away and the rut is two months different? I guess all of the Deer that were transplanted into one county never had any offspring that moved over to one of the others. Color me skeptical....

Addition: Have seen Bucks here around home in February and March still carrying their horns. Friend had some on his trial cam just last week with racks. One of them a better than nice 10. Weather has been warm, right now it is 44F. Blood flows better to the extremities with heat vs cold. Perhaps higher temps are a factor. According to the map, the further South you go, the later the rut.

Interesting....how much time do you spend in Alabama during these rut times in these various pockets to dismiss these claims?

Your biological arguments to dismiss it really make me scratch my head. For example, you are trying the cite Bergmann's law (I think) which refers to latitudinal variations of body size relative to temperatures. Don't think Bergmann had Alabama in mind, especially since the state from north to south doesn't have the widespread temperature variations to be noticable in body size, let alone somehow translating to a 2 month swing in rut.

Also, Texas for example, has a lot of deer, volume and density in lots of places. The rut there is pretty consistent on a geographical scale and in no way has pockets like the map shown. If the variability in rut was due to doe cycling wouldn't Texas or numerous other states have these issues? Why Alabama?

- Greg

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
battue is dead wrong.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Greg,
Not looking for an argument, nor have I spent any time in Alabama hunting.

However, Bud up here in Pa is currently hunting with a muzzleloader and is finding fresh scraps which indicates some kind of rut is still going on as late as a couple days ago. So perhaps Alabama isn't as unique as they want on to believe.

Combine it with the fact, after 50 years the transplants have had more than enough time to intermingle their claimed different rutting genetics, I find their conclusions suspect. You believe if you want, but color me skeptical.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not either. Just curious on your reasoning for your conclusions is all.

- Greg

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I live/hunt in Dale County, a good friend in the southeast corner of Houston. See the southeast corner of the map. Ive hunted Dale for 40 years and they have hunted Houston more than that. In Dale I have never seen December rut activity, its always mid to late January. In the southeast corner of Houston on my friends place the rut starts firing up in late November/early December. They never see rut activity in January.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I mentioned the North to South variation as an aside from looking at the significant different rutting times based on the most part by location. Did the majority of the late rutting Deer get transplanted at the extreme Southern border? How does their conclusion relate to the intermingling of genetic rutting times over the last 50 years? You mix genes, you eventually getting a mixture of characteristics that become the norm.

The N to S heat variation was just thrown out as food for thought.

I'm not saying there are not different rutting periods. I am saying, by now, with a 50year plus window of genetic intermingling, other factors are the cause of different rutting periods. The map write-up said it was based on the genetics of where the transplants came from. That part I'm not buying.

Her in Pa we obviously have an extended rutting period. There were fresh scrapes in the area my Bud found them the other day back in October. Yet some were still being make a couple days ago. What causes it? That area has an overabundance of Does, and some because they were missed on their first go, go into a second heat.

Last edited by battue; 01/14/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have lived in Alabama all my life and have killed deer in a bunch of counties all over the state. The map is correct,it has been verified by shooting bred does all over the state and determining the age of the fetus and the date breeding occured.

The hard science of the studies agrees with what locals already knew.

Just for the record I have hunted and killed deer in Cullman,Shelby,Coosa, Elmore,Autauga, Macon,Bibb,Hale,Dallas,Marengo,Clarke,Sumter,Pickens,Greene,and Choctaw County.

Have also hunted without taking a deer in several other counties. The Map confirms what I have seen with my own eyes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I have lived in Alabama all my life and have killed deer in a bunch of counties all over the state. The map is correct,it has been verified by shooting bred does all over the state and determining the age of the fetus and the date breeding occured.

The hard science of the studies agrees with what locals already knew.

Just for the record I have hunted and killed deer in Cullman,Shelby,Coosa, Elmore,Autauga, Macon,Bibb,Hale,Dallas,Marengo,Clarke,Sumter,Pickens,Greene,and Choctaw County.

Have also hunted without taking a deer in several other counties. The Map confirms what I have seen with my own eyes.

Thanks, best info is from folks that have been there done that.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.