Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Oh, you mean cowboy boots. Except they have a walking heel. Okay.

I don't know that I have ever known anyone who actually bought cowboy boots with a flat walking heel. Though we do see a lot of pull on work boots in the factory. But that is a different issue.

I will not wear a dogger heel. They roll over and break down too quickly. But a two inch slightly underslung riding heel with a semi round toe is where it's at. I have a new pair of 'Lamas on order in bull hide right now.

I used to be able to walk into the local boot places and pick a pair of anacondas, or boas, or shark, or pythons, or sea turtle, or lizard, or gator, or ostrich, or elephant, or African antelope, or water buffalo, or bison all in the same store in Tony Lama, or Justin, or Nacona.

My favorite boot in history was a Nacona in elk hide. They wore like iron in the absolute worst conditions and were comfortable for twenty hour days on concrete. But the last time I saw a pair was in 1981.

I used to live in Tony Lama African antelopes. They had a nice textured surface, and the grain goes all the way through the leather, making them very scuff resistant.

But today, the best I can find locally is a selection of a dozen pair. Most with a square toe, and half with a 5/8 inch welt. The dealer only had two which I would even recognize as a cowboy boot. Both were in bullhide. Neither was in stock in my size. Both were discontinued styles. He finally found a pair of 10EE somewhere and is having them shipped in.

I am very reticent to purchase boots online. Though I know there is a good selection of leathers and styles from online vendors, there is no way to know the fit.

a walking heel usually describes a higher than roper heel that is back cut, or under cut at the rear so it allows your foot to rock down and have that extra heel there. for me the higher heel, if i wear boots like that all the time it would make it harder for me to wear my tenny runners when I excercise in the mornings, switch to hunting boots while hunting, wading boots while fly fishing etc. The nice thing about ropers is they allow you to wear other shoes easier, IMO I do think ropers might aught consider the back cut on the rear heels too. tecovas does this with their new square toe boots, they have what they call a hybrid heel. a little taller than a roper but its got the back cut to make it have the features of a walking heel.

some ropers have a very short heel, almost dress show like. others like the double h ice boots, that is actually plenty of heel for horse riding, although I still prefer a traditional leather sole for use in stirrups.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a set that I bought from Herrett's that I move between my Model 18 Smith and my model 19 Smith. I like them a lot.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I've got a set that I bought from Herrett's that I move between my Model 18 Smith and my model 19 Smith. I like them a lot.

You should sell those and buy 10 or 12 pairs of boots.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by 5sdad

You should sell those and buy 10 or 12 pairs of boots.

But I couldn't afford a hat.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tempted to buy these for $150 on clearance. Lucchese elk skin. Size 10, 11, and 12 only.

https://www.sierra.com/lucchese-bond-cowboy-boots-elk-square-toe-12-for-men~p~700ha/?filterString=s~luchesse-elk%2F

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like Justin ropers for my feet and Keith Brown ropers for my Smith & Wesson smile
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got a pair of Justin Ropers in grey, an out-of-production color for a long time now, that still look like new. Bought them in 1989.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Tempted to buy these for $150 on clearance. Lucchese elk skin. Size 10, 11, and 12 only.

https://www.sierra.com/lucchese-bond-cowboy-boots-elk-square-toe-12-for-men~p~700ha/?filterString=s~luchesse-elk%2F

That's a good deal. I haven't tried the US Lucchese boots ina while, but the Mexican-made pair I had 6 or 7 years back ran a little small.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that is a good deal right there

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anderson Bean

Rio of Mercedes.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I still have my first pair of Justin roper boots bought new in 87.
they have been resoled 3 times. still in good shape. all that aside, I dont wear them often these days. Still wear work boots with actual tread on them now

W
wat Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Had a pair of Anderson Beans that were great, now I've got a pair of Tecovas that are pretty dang solid. Tecovas you order online though, but their sizing is true and they come with a return label in case they don't fit so you can exchange or return them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Cheesy

That's a good deal. I haven't tried the US Lucchese boots ina while, but the Mexican-made pair I had 6 or 7 years back ran a little small.

Just ordered a pair at $150 'last one' said the item for my size. Then went back to the website, price is now $199 and the same size is available plus other sizes. Looks like they play games on inventory, but I'll take it at that price. These are Made In USA, we'll see how they fit.

Last edited by Cheesy; 01/14/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I liked all lace boots better when my belly was smaller.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
boots, my man. ropers!

Ropers are so not boots. They are built on shoe lasts therefore they are shoes.

I'm so confused!

He said ropers last longer than shoes.

That’s funny right there.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i still have my FQ ostrich justin ropers. still my favorite boots and brand. ive had rio of mercades and anderson bean. like them all but perfer the justins for work and riding. i only wear my anderson's for riding now (they hold my spurs better)

FJB
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Never did really like ropers. I never found them comfortable and do not like the low heels. The main reason being that I was always afraid of them in the stirrup.
From young horses to older finished horses, whether riding out or working cattle or buffalo, I'll take a boot with a taller heel on it thank you very much!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byron
Never did really like ropers. I never found them comfortable and do not like the low heels. The main reason being that I was always afraid of them in the stirrup.
From young horses to older finished horses, whether riding out or working cattle or buffalo, I'll take a boot with a taller heel on it thank you very much!

they were made with low heals for rodeo guys who team rope they are much easier to run in.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm surprised that so many people who possibly wear boots have apparently never heard of ropers.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by byron

they were made with low heals for rodeo guys who team rope they are much easier to run in.

Yes sir, I knew that. I'm sure they work OK for that, but I will just never trust them for my riding.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.