Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
One old joke in Canada is, if you ever get lost in the bush, just follow a porcupine, they are all headed to the TransCanada highway to get run over.

A guy brings in a tractor trailer load of flagstone in here at night. He said he thought he hit something on his way down the road but wasn't sure what it was. All of his tires on the right side of the truck had porcupine quills stuck in them.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 01/14/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hit a big ol doe , was only going about 25 maybe. Knocked the deer a flip , deer got up & ran off.
Did more damage to the '06 Silverado than it did to the deer , knocked the front bumper cockeyed & broke the passenger side running light.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine was passing a tractor trailer on I-81 one day when the truck hit a deer. He said it pretty much exploded and there was fat, guts etc. all over his windshield so bad he couldn't see a thing. Windshield washer wouldn't touch it so he had to get off the highway and go to a car wash.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hunter4623
In 30 yrs since I’ve been license, never hit a deer. Traveled all over North America hunting.

Driving for NJ to Montana in mid April to look at some properties, try to kill a spring bear and spend a few months ch3 king things out. Should I add a big Azz grill guard to this bumper I built or will it be enough to roll them under the truck as opposed to over the hood?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I would say that would roll most ride into your grill guard.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by hunter4623
In 30 yrs since I’ve been license, never hit a deer. Traveled all over North America hunting.

Driving for NJ to Montana in mid April to look at some properties, try to kill a spring bear and spend a few months ch3 king things out. Should I add a big Azz grill guard to this bumper I built or will it be enough to roll them under the truck as opposed to over the hood?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I would say that would roll most ride into your grill guard.

Yep.

Straight through the grill and radiator.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
All totaled at least 10 deer over the years. Used to drive a 3/4 ton everywhere and had a custom grill guard.

Hit some in excess of 80 mph. Never did any damage to those trucks.

Was driving south towards Broadus and hit a big doe while pulling a stock trailer. Nailed her at almost 85. Trucker behind me said there wasn't anything identifiable that came out from underneath the trailer. Just a cloud of hair and a lot of little pieces.

I miss those grill guards. I would like to get one for my 1/2 tome trucks now but afraid they would be a bit too heavy.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Hit a Kangaroo a couple of months ago, hopped out of the bush with no warning, straight into my passenger side door.

Running from fire ??

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My BIL has one of those ranch hand bumper,grill guard and those things are the most solid I've seen,little costly and heavy but dang nice looking.

F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Ill tell you one thing that Highway between Baggs Wyoming and Craig Co has to have more deer per sq mile than any other stretch in the country.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I've hit two deer and one big black Labrador dog. The dog caused the most damage because it was about 70 mph. It appeared right on the freeway. Both the deer ran away. One caused no damage to the car.

About 10 years ago, they found a 650 pound black bear dead on I-68 in western Maryland. Someone hit it, killed it, and then drove away.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My family and I were driving through a resort in VA. Wife was behind the wheel.

Coming up to a stop sign, she hits the brakes to miss a doe unhurriedly crossing the street. I caught a glimpse of something behind the doe as my wife started to drive forward.......

STOP THE [Thump Thump] ......Car.

She ran over a fawn going 3 miles per hour.

She freaked out, to put it mildly.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rgramjet
My family and I were driving through a resort in VA. Wife was behind the wheel.

Coming up to a stop sign, she hits the brakes to miss a doe unhurriedly crossing the street. I caught a glimpse of something behind the doe as my wife started to drive forward.......

STOP THE [Thump Thump] ......Car.

She ran over a fawn going 3 miles per hour.

She freaked out, to put it mildly.

Hahaha, oh my gosh, the Joy's of being a husband. That must have been fun to handle.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've hit 5 deer.

#1 - I was only going about 30 mph and they came running out of the brush in the dark and raining. I missed them, but one ran into the side of the truck and knocked off a piece of trim. $35.00.

#2 - Coming home from deer hunting during muzzle loader season in the dark. The gun was still loaded, but uncapped. Came around a corner and it was like a wall of deer. Almost had it stopped and punted a doe. I pulled over and the deer was laying in the middle of the road still alive. Grabbed the gun and put a cap on it and before I could shoot her, she got up and ran away. $1200.00.

#3 - About the same as #2, but it was just a doe and fawn. I hit the fawn. $1200.00.

#4 - Headed to my parents house after hunting. I was on a narrow country road going through the woods near a wildlife preserve. It was snowing to beat the band and dark. Had about 6" on the road and I was only going about 25 mph. An 8 point jumped over the guard rail and I hit the breaks. Just bumped his ass end and spun him around. No damage.

#5 - This was spectacular. 2016 in broad daylight. A herd of does were running full tilt out of a field from my left. I can't believe I didn't see them coming. When I did, it was too late. Nailed this doe in the front half of her body with the left front of the truck. It launched her about 10 feet in the air spinning back to my left. I was going about 40. Killed the deer. $4500.00

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Aiming at the back end of a moose crossing the road only works sometimes. The cow mentioned above reached the ditch off the oncoming lane, turned back, reached the ditch on my side, then turned straight away down my lane. By that time we were both out of options, despite the fact I was on the brakes.

Busted her hind leg or hip, caved in the whole front end of the 1980 F150. 2 minutes later a trooper came over the hill, finished the cow, and gave me a ride the 2 miles home. 2 am in the morning, sometime in November, 1991 or 92.

With a wife, 100 lb Lab, and 2 elementary school kids, I needed an expanded truck anyway, but damn, that was a good one!

On my way to town one morning, I saw the scene where a semi hit a horse, literally exploding the horse. There were horse pieces in about a 50 foot radius. The truck cab was wedged between two big spruce across the ditch. I'm not sure the trees even damaged the truck, it was that tight a fit. Driver had to crawl out his window, unhurt, I heard.

Last edited by las; 01/14/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any Texans hit those armadillos? I've heard you get quite a ride rolling along with those under?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any Texans hit those armadillos? I've heard you get quite a ride rolling along with those under?

You can't "not hit" an armadillo...

Most vehicles would clear them, as they are low to the ground.

But an armadillo's natural instinct defense is to jump straight up when spooked... eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And there was this cruise ship that pulled into an Alaska port with a whale wrapped around its bow.

Didn't even know it was there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I still remember riding the bus when a big ass pig came up on the highway and the bus ran it over with the rear duals.

Quite the speed bump.

Porky didn't make it....

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by DBT
Hit a Kangaroo a couple of months ago, hopped out of the bush with no warning, straight into my passenger side door.

Running from fire ??

No, it was before the fires. Kangaroos have a habit of hopping in front of vehicles, there are stretches of outback highway littered with carcasses.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
One of the funniest things I've seen along these lines was when I was in college in Bottineau, ND. We were doing about 80, southbound for a weekend at home, when a ground squirrel or prairie dog ran out into the middle of our lane and stood up.

No bump, and as I looked back, that sucker was leaning about 45 degrees into the car-passage wind, still standing up on 2 legs.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 681 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.