24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14419907 12/31/19
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,253
Beaver10 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,253
I briefly owned a GSP that a coworker couldn’t handle living in the city. It was a female that had several thousands poured into her for bird training.

The dog was absolutely beautiful, small in size, but still young. She looked like it was on roids. Big, defined, leaned out muscles, and tons of energy, very high strung.

I had 5 acres fenced with 6’ft high Australian fence wire. Plenty of room to roam, kept her outside - not in a kennel while I was at work, inside with the family at night.

That dog would climb the fence wire front paw, leg foot over and over then jump from the top out and run wild a few times each week. I’d sometimes get a call from a neighbor that saw her running loose. The first few times, I left work to run her down, only to find her either back on my property or sniffing around near by.

I liked the dog a lot, but the hardest thing was trying to understand the high strung behavior. It was like she could never seem to chill out, more of a frantic behavior than a hyper, needs to be worked type of identifier. Never seen that before...But, at the time, my experience was strictly Lab hunting dogs.

Finally, I decided before I lost her, or she got shot for trespass by a ranch hand. i took her to the breeder who trained her up and asked if she wanted her for a kennel bitch or to pour some work into and sell her at a later time as a ready for birds hunting dog. The trainer took her.

I was leary of the GSP breed after that experience for many years...I hunted over several during those years and never saw the same crazy behavior exhibited once.

I can honestly say, I love that breed of dog. I find them awesome both in how they look and work...I would even own one, if I was certain that weird high strung out, worrying type of behavior wasn’t inherent to this breed of dog.

😎


Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14420285 12/31/19
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,556
B
battue Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
B
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,556
Beaver,

Some hunting Buds have had them over the years, and I have yet to see one that wired. Without exception, they were all people Dogs that more or less craved the attention of their owners.

Another Bud, who trained Dogs and at one time had Dogs on the circuit, had a big Elhew Pointer named Jake. Jake had been thru a couple owners that couldn't handle him. Gary knows his Dogs and how to train them, but he met his match with Jake. He had the body of a superb athlete, along with a big heart a set of lungs to test it. Combined with a mind of his own, he was mostly untrainable. Jake for the most part had no attraction to people. He was placed on earth to satisfy his lust for Birds, wherever his body and heart would take him.

So no, all GSP are not like the one you had. But every hunting breed has a rogue that lives by their own rules.


laissez les bons temps rouler
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: battue] #14421377 12/31/19
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,253
Beaver10 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,253
Originally Posted by battue
Beaver,

Some hunting Buds have had them over the years, and I have yet to see one that wired. Without exception, they were all people Dogs that more or less craved the attention of their owners.

Another Bud, who trained Dogs and at one time had Dogs on the circuit, had a big Elhew Pointer named Jake. Jake had been thru a couple owners that couldn't handle him. Gary knows his Dogs and how to train them, but he met his match with Jake. He had the body of a superb athlete, along with a big heart a set of lungs to test it. Combined with a mind of his own, he was mostly untrainable. Jake for the most part had no attraction to people. He was placed on earth to satisfy his lust for Birds, wherever his body and heart would take him.

So no, all GSP are not like the one you had. But every hunting breed has a rogue that lives by their own rules.




Bat,

I appreciate this information...The wife and I are in discussion about owning a bird dog for hunting and family enjoyment. I will definitely take a hard look at a GSP....😎


Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14421394 12/31/19
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,556
B
battue Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
B
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,556
Suggestion.

If you don’t mind a flusher, then perhaps look at a field breed English Springer. Easier to train, house Dog of the first order and travels easy in the car.


laissez les bons temps rouler
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: battue] #14421474 12/31/19
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,253
Beaver10 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 9,253
Best hunting/house dog I’ve owned was a Springer Spaniel. Another small framed female, but a huge heart for hunting anything with feathers. She came to me at a smidge over 3 years old. Fully trained and a field trial blue and red ribbon winner in puppy class.

I never put a dime into her...I just hunted her, allowing her to mature on her own. Had her for 11 years. She passed at approximately 14 years of age.

Heart always trumped body size, imo. Watching “Flyer” make long water retrieves on Canadian Honkers was hilarious. Dog always looked like she was underwater swimming in with a fat goose.

😎


Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC-A

Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14430640 01/03/20
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 222
F
Fastback65 Offline
Member
Offline
Member
F
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 222
When I was looking for a dog I came across a web page https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/braquedubourbonnais.htm

I read the dog has a On Off switch like no other dog I thought that would be awesome man was it true the kids call my dog white lightning and turbo Tazz when he was out side then at night when we bring him in the house the kids call him Tired Tazz as he makes one circle on his bed and out like a light.

From articial:
Brauqes are a medium-size hunting dog, with a great desire not only to hunt but to please you. They have an "on/off" switch like no other hunting dog that I have seen. The minute you release them in the field the hunting switch is flipped "on". When you get them home they flip that switch "off" and they are just as content to sit on the couch with you and watch a movie. They have a short, dense coat that dries in minutes and is easy to groom. Bourbonnais have a sweet personality and have a very soft temperament—they do not need a lot of corrections to train; you will get further with a soft voice and hand than you will with a firm voice and a heavy hand. While softer dogs are wonderful around the home they often take a little longer to train for hunting, but is well worth the time you put into them. While they are a hunting dog and like to run, a daily walk is fine for them."
Hunting Dogs

They look like a German Short hair on steroids stout little dogs at least the males jaws look way stronger than the Short hairs mine is a excellent hunter good luck in your search.

Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Fastback65] #14431470 01/03/20
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,502
ribka Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,502
any firsthand real world experience with this breed? Ever hunt waterfowl and upland with one on the same day in sub zero temps?

40 years' experience raising and training hunting breeds and I know of no hunting breeds where a short walk suffices for exercise and training.



Originally Posted by Fastback65
When I was looking for a dog I came across a web page https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/braquedubourbonnais.htm

I read the dog has a On Off switch like no other dog I thought that would be awesome man was it true the kids call my dog white lightning and turbo Tazz when he was out side then at night when we bring him in the house the kids call him Tired Tazz as he makes one circle on his bed and out like a light.

From articial:
Brauqes are a medium-size hunting dog, with a great desire not only to hunt but to please you. They have an "on/off" switch like no other hunting dog that I have seen. The minute you release them in the field the hunting switch is flipped "on". When you get them home they flip that switch "off" and they are just as content to sit on the couch with you and watch a movie. They have a short, dense coat that dries in minutes and is easy to groom. Bourbonnais have a sweet personality and have a very soft temperament—they do not need a lot of corrections to train; you will get further with a soft voice and hand than you will with a firm voice and a heavy hand. While softer dogs are wonderful around the home they often take a little longer to train for hunting, but is well worth the time you put into them. While they are a hunting dog and like to run, a daily walk is fine for them."
Hunting Dogs

They look like a German Short hair on steroids stout little dogs at least the males jaws look way stronger than the Short hairs mine is a excellent hunter good luck in your search.

Last edited by ribka; 01/03/20.

trans gender non binary transcendent mermaid queen-king
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14431947 01/03/20
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 222
F
Fastback65 Offline
Member
Offline
Member
F
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 222
First hand is I have had my mutt for nine years one of the best dogs I have had great hunter. I would go to Arizona to a event the breeder put on and would be surrounded by brock's where we would do a hunt in planted field's not really my thing I like wild birds but I did get a good look at these dogs in action.

There is not a lot of these dog's in the states but well worth a look prices are not bad compared to other breeds.

Now if you are looking for sub zero I would not look at the Brock he is just like a German short hair.

I have had Weimaraner English pointer and Irish setter's. trained them all and all were good hunter's all of them a little different.
The Setter hated doves the Pointer was hard mouthed the Weimaraner was a little snippy around kids. I did like she was so loyal to me and would not listen to one command from the X lol.

As far as exercise goes I have no idea I have a two acre fenced yard he self exercised the kids called him white lightning as he streaked by lap after lap.

As far as the off switch in the paragraph I copied from the web page I gave the link for I can attest to , even as a pup he would come in and hit the rack that I was not use to with the other dogs I had.

Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14441019 01/06/20
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 2,753
OldmanoftheSea Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 2,753
Perhaps relevant to what you are pursuing:
I recall a comparison (don't know how valid) that a weimaraner tended to stay w/in 600 meters while a viszla tended towards 400 meters. Never head similar comparison to GSPs.


-OMotS



"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14467143 01/14/20
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,005
jfruser Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,005
The few Vizslas I have met have been fine dogs. But I have met more good GSPs, just more out there. Had two GSPs ourselves, a male and a female. Male would range out much farther in the field unless you were firm on pulling him up short. On a leash he was just fine, not a puller or anything. The female naturally ranged forward at perfect shotgunning distance. Both terrific with the family--to include two infants--the female even protected our daughter once (male was deceased at that point, or the illegal would have bled even more). Also took the female GSP hog hunting. Not as a bay or catch dog, but just a dog to keep my daughter company. Female GSP was really old at the time, but had a wonderful time walking the fields and sitting with my daughter in a blind.

FIL had a couple more. He did not hunt them.

All the dogs were from families who bred a couple successful local hunting GSPs. All were good, healthy dogs, though I don't know how my FIL's would have done in the field.


Regards,

jfruser

"Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly, I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it."
----Theodore Roosevelt
IC-B

Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14517545 01/29/20
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 789
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 789
I am a GSP fan. Great hunting dogs and great family dogs too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]


Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: OldmanoftheSea] #14525644 01/31/20
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,145
Mesabi Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,145
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Perhaps relevant to what you are pursuing:
I recall a comparison (don't know how valid) that a weimaraner tended to stay w/in 600 meters while a viszla tended towards 400 meters. Never head similar comparison to GSPs.


Sweet Jeezus! Have you ever actually hunted over dogs? If I had one that ranged like that, I'd trade it for a fat 3-legged Lab!

This is a somewhat typical Campfire discussion: A guy asks about two breeds and others start suggesting Springers, Setters, etc. The same thing happens with various firearm discussions, but it's even more understandable with dogs, because they can easily steal our hearts. In my case, it's the Vizsla that's stolen mine.

I'm on my third female; they've all had slightly different personalities, but they've been wonderful hunters and companions. I've hunted (along with my Vizslas) with three different GSH. One was a guy I bumped into on public land that had a young female the same age as mine. He struck me as a "dog man" and we agreed to hunt together to give the dogs experience in hunting with other dogs. All we put up were hens, but watching the dogs work together, honor each other's points, and having fun was wonderful. Wherever he and his dog are, I hope they're doing well. The other GSH belongs to a close friend. Abby is now 16 years old and mostly blind, but she's still happy to see me and I'm happy to see her. She had the makings of a good dog with a good nose, but she never got worked and trained enough when she was young and had a tendency to run wild. The third GSH belongs to a friend of the last friend and is a beautiful young dog with a marginal owner. He sent her to a trainer, but I don't think he communicated very well. The dog has a lot of potential which I hope is met. (I know that people have different schedules, but I've really enjoyed training my own dogs and watching them develop.)

Which is part of the reason I went with the breed I did: I had heard Vizslas were easy to train, and they have been. Pretty much the only commands I've trained have been "Whoa" and "Heel". Ten minute sessions a couple of times a day have worked, along with a little "wing on a string" play and fetching. They've all just naturally seemed to pick up hand signals. The latest one is probably the poorest retriever (unless she's hunting with other dogs, in which case everything that falls from the sky belongs to her and gets brought to me). I've heard that GSH can be hard-headed, but I don't know how true that is. I've heard that Vizslas can be "soft": I know all I've ever needed was to raise my voice and sound stern. I don't think the Vizsla does well with long hours in a kennel. They want to be with their humans and there's a reason they're called "velcro dogs". Probably the same is true with the GSH or any other breed; the more time they spend with their human buddies, the happier they are.... Unless your a real [bleep], and I think there's more crappy dog owners than there are crappy dogs. Oh yeah: Vizslas are amazingly odor-free..... unless they decide they need a little "cover scent". That's when their short hair and lack of an undercoat is nice.

If you find a good breeder, preferably with a chance to see both the parents, and spend time training, playing with and exercising the puppy, I think you would be happy with either breed.



Last edited by Mesabi; 01/31/20.
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Mesabi] #14526894 02/01/20
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,573
M
MontanaCreekHunter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,573
Originally Posted by Mesabi
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Perhaps relevant to what you are pursuing:
I recall a comparison (don't know how valid) that a weimaraner tended to stay w/in 600 meters while a viszla tended towards 400 meters. Never head similar comparison to GSPs.


Sweet Jeezus! Have you ever actually hunted over dogs? If I had one that ranged like that, I'd trade it for a fat 3-legged Lab!





No two dogs even in the same breed range the same.

In some terrain I don't mind a "long leg dog" But the grouse and woodcock woods isn't one of those types of terrain. But even in the grouse and woodcock terrain I don't mind a good dog that ranges more than most will accept. Key is a "good dog"! I am not knocking anyones dogs but from experience most guys that claim their dogs are good fall short. When I had my English Pointer Cooper a good friend of mine had a well breed English Setter. He sent her to a well known trainer that I won't mention here. I am not going to mention because in fairness I do not know what was expected and what was promised. His dog had a great high head and tail! As well as a great nose. But did not hold point, did not back, and when she did hold point she broke at the shot. She didn't retrieve but did point dead. Something I am not a fan of but I guess it's better than doing neither. So hunting with his dog close was paramount. Cooper held steady as a rock to wing and shot. So I never minded him ranging. My buddies all said to me their first time hunting over Cooper that he runs big for a grouse dog. But after the hunt saw that it didn't matter as he didn't bump birds.

One thing to keep in mind is sending a dog off to a trainer isn't a bad thing and for a lot of guys is probably the best foundation. Where I see things fall to sh_t is when they get the dog back! One the dog needs to get to know you, he/she has been working for a different person and most likely different skill, demeanor, and expectations. Second the training MUST continue.


Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14539162 02/04/20
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,317
S
Switch Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,317
Wall Canyon Vizslas out of Montana,. Owner is Bridget Nielsen is IMHO the best in the business. One of the top authorities on the breed. All her dogs are NAVHDA tested including VC titles. I have owned GSP's for close to 50 years and still dance with the girl that brought me, however I've hunted over her dogs many times and all I can say is WOW! Great noises, duck hunting fools, and a joy to have around the house and kids. Very playful! You'll pay for them but over a dog's life the initial cost is not the biggest expense. Google her on the web and give he a call, she loves to talk dogs. She's also a top trainer.

Last edited by Switch; 02/05/20.
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Boxerdog] #14543985 02/05/20
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 595
CEoW717 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 595
I’ve got a Viszla and she started out as a remarkable dog. Then she hit 2 and doesn’t hunt, is afraid of her own shadow and spends most of her time her kennel on her own accord. I will say living in Wisconsin, probably not the best choice but she’s a beautiful dog. Now I just run my lab... I know labs are the granola of hunting dogs. I see a lot of people recommending Drahthaars, I agree these dogs are badass hunting/killing machines as my foreman has 2 and they’re awesome but they’re a lot of work and need a lot of exercise from what I’ve seen.

Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: FAIR_CHASE] #14544790 02/05/20
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 12,546
Nebraska Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 12,546
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]


Love that pic!!!

Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: Beaver10] #14547589 02/06/20
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 7,941
jackmountain Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 7,941
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I briefly owned a GSP that a coworker couldn’t handle living in the city. It was a female that had several thousands poured into her for bird training.

The dog was absolutely beautiful, small in size, but still young. She looked like it was on roids. Big, defined, leaned out muscles, and tons of energy, very high strung.

I had 5 acres fenced with 6’ft high Australian fence wire. Plenty of room to roam, kept her outside - not in a kennel while I was at work, inside with the family at night.

That dog would climb the fence wire front paw, leg foot over and over then jump from the top out and run wild a few times each week. I’d sometimes get a call from a neighbor that saw her running loose. The first few times, I left work to run her down, only to find her either back on my property or sniffing around near by.

I liked the dog a lot, but the hardest thing was trying to understand the high strung behavior. It was like she could never seem to chill out, more of a frantic behavior than a hyper, needs to be worked type of identifier. Never seen that before...But, at the time, my experience was strictly Lab hunting dogs.

Finally, I decided before I lost her, or she got shot for trespass by a ranch hand. i took her to the breeder who trained her up and asked if she wanted her for a kennel bitch or to pour some work into and sell her at a later time as a ready for birds hunting dog. The trainer took her.

I was leary of the GSP breed after that experience for many years...I hunted over several during those years and never saw the same crazy behavior exhibited once.

I can honestly say, I love that breed of dog. I find them awesome both in how they look and work...I would even own one, if I was certain that weird high strung out, worrying type of behavior wasn’t inherent to this breed of dog.

😎




Mine doesn't seem to have that problem!
Actually when she's awake she's fullbore...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]


Theyre creepy bastards that are feeling you out. If all goes right, yall strike up a confidence and next thing you know youre at his house, in his cistern being fattened up so he can make a ladysuit out of you.
-Slumlord
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: ribka] #14547911 02/06/20
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 70
O
Old_Man Offline
Member
Offline
Member
O
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 70
Hi Guys! I am a Vizsla man from now ever after! I have my first one now, a 4 1/2 year old female that is simply great. Had her from 6 weeks old as a rescue, and she has literally trained herself nearly entirely. We groundhog hunt, and she keeps the considerably large goose population both at my home,(next to the Delaware Canal), and at my gun club,(we have a 5 acre pond), in check.

Whole town loves her, she is the sweetest thing on four feet, and has kids stopping in the yard to play! Can't say enough good about her. I contracted heart failure shortly after we got her, but Tessa simply adjusted to my level, and couldn't be a better dog!

If I live longer than Tessa, my next one will also be a Vizsla!


Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: broomd] #14682160 03/19/20
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 717
DoubleCK Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 717
Originally Posted by broomd
...You mean, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon...

Best of everything!



+1


Dont go ridin on that Long Black Train.
Re: German short hair vs Vizsla [Re: DonFischer] #15017795 07/03/20
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 70
O
Old_Man Offline
Member
Offline
Member
O
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 70
I'm a "rescue dog" kind of guy. I've had a bunch of different ones over 50 yrs or so, and two things I can say for cdertain: Females are generally more controllable than males, (except when they are in heat), and Hungarian Viszlas almost train themselves.

I got Tessa as a rescue at about 6 weeks old, she's 5 yrs old now, and incredibly she has taught herself to hunt for us better than I could have trained her. At only thirty pounds, she's still an asset for me, since I'm a bit disabled, right down to the permits allowing vehicle use, so her willingness to work hard for me is a plus......she is also thoughtfull enough that she even allows me to sleep in her bed! She's great with kids, and really loves my wife too!

Maybe there are better breeds out there, but you have my vote.


Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
609 registered members (12savage, 16penny, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 82 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 974 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
var atsScript = document.createElement('script'); atsScript.onload = function() { window.ats.start({ "placementID": 1257, "storageType": "localStorage", "detectionType": "scrape", "cssSelectors": [ "input[type=text]", "input[type=email]" ], "logging": "error" }); }; atsScript.src = 'https://ats.rlcdn.com/ats.js'; document.body.appendChild(atsScript);
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.22 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9304 MB (Peak: 1.1247 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2020-09-29 03:52:03 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS