Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tarkio,

I’ve had small abdominal hernias repaired whilst on active duty. I had an inguinal done 7 months after I retired from the military. I was in great shape, all of the ultrasounds showed only a small area. They gave me an epidural and started to cut. The surgeon peeked around the sheet and said, “hey sarge, this is worse than we could tell, we have to rebuild the whole floor, and you may never be free from pain but it will be fixed”. Fifteen years later, I’m reminded of it almost every day.

There are some post hernia pain stretches that do help.

I’m gonna recommend you don’t do anything but walk and easy stretch for five weeks, don’t be hard headed.

Goodluck

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 01/14/20.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Has iit done around '99.
Mesh.
Result of another surgery and doc going exploring.
Felt like fire and hammer on my nuts.
3 yrs.
Then one day a pop and pain dropped fifty%.
Couple months later gone

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Six weeks is normal and some things it is far better not to push it. I had it done back in '08. I slept the first night in our recliner.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Had one repaired. It took several weeks to fully heal. You could definitely feel it. Very uncomfortable. Hard spot there from the scar tissue I suppose.

5 years later it tore again, just above the old patch. That one took longer to heal. No more issues besides the hard spot.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by kenster99
Ive had two, one at 29 and another 2 yrs ago at 66. Just try not to laugh, cough, or the worst, sneeze while re-couping !

I have big sneezing spells. I just knew I would have a big one, but never did.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had the inguinal surgery 3 years ago. Got told not to lift more than a 4 liter jug of milk for 6 weeks by the doctor, nurse said 8 weeks and she wouldn't be happy with me if I came back. One friend blew his up twice.

No big deal pain wise but do support the area if you have a coughing fit etc. Felled trees and bucked up 3 cords of firewood when the no lift period ended, doing a little more each day. All good now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Renegade had his zipped back up, 4 weeks later drags a 160lb buck 1/4 mile over and through briars (those are blackberry vines) saplings and southern yellow pine choppings and stumps.

I asked him if he was risking it, he trudged on.

Then helped me drag out two more of mine.

And then another bad one of his through a swamp.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Had one done in open surgery in 1984. Was in college, worked in a warehouse and moved furniture, and was a volunteer firefighter. I was out of the warehouse and furniture moving for 8 weeks but was allowed back on the FD as a driver after 4 weeks. I probably shouldn't gone back as stepping up into an engine was a bit rough at first. Thought I tore something the second time climbing into the seat but nothing seemed to come of it.

Had a second operation for a double hernia August of 2018. It was done laparoscopically. I was a career firefighter by that time and was kept off duty for 8 weeks by the city doctor. I felt pretty good but over did things walking several days later and ended up sticking to the recliner as my, ah, privates swelled up pretty good. That was rather painful.

I didn't have much pain other than that described above. It was uncomfortable rising to my feet, bending over, and anything else utilizing the abdominal muscles but that only lasted a couple of weeks. I know of a couple others that had varying degrees of pain. I think it really depends on the individual and especially if the incision hit any significant nerves.

Get it taken care of, doing it now because you can has fewer complications and quicker recovery than waiting until you have to. I've met a few that waited and they were out much longer than I was and had more discomfort for longer time.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me it was about 6 weeks for recovery, I was working framing at the time and it was a real hard time. It took me a long time to heal up, they did the mesh thing. 6 months later I packed a Moose out by myself with no problems with anything.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
One thing I will add, If you can manage the pain without narcotics do so, you don’t want to be constipated! I got along fine with Tylenol and glad I did.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got mine 6 months after gut surgery.

It was caused by gas build up in the bowels i have left.

Some days it is not even there but when it comes out to play it plays for keeps.
It does not hurt when lifting weights.
The only way to get it back in is to lay down.

One day this year i plan on getting it done.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ive had two, one at 29 and another 2 yrs ago at 66. Just try not to laugh, cough, or the worst, sneeze while re-couping !
My sister had open heart surgery. She had to carry a pillow for 6 weeks. Every time she did any of the above, especially sneezing, she had to wrap her arms around it and squeeze to keep her chest from expanding. She said the worst part was an issue that doesn't apply here - she's 'well endowed' and they sewed her boobs together.

LOL laffin hard.......please understand I mean no disrespect. I had 3 robotic abdominal surgeries for kidney cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer in an 11 month span then hernia repair to fix what the other surgeries messed up 7 months later. Believe me, I can identify with having a huggy pillow close at hand. After each of the surgeries it was a life saver. After the third in particular I couldn't have done without it because I developed bronchitis while still hospitalized. For several days and nights I squeezed the stuffing out of every pillow I had.

But now for the forgiveness part. After you describing your sister's situation and having the ta-tas sewn together I have this picture in my mind of a gigantic boobie with two nipples protruding from the poor woman's chest. I certainly hope follow up included stitch removal.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had a single Inguinal Hernia surgery done this last spring. Surgery was an incision as opposed to laparoscopic. My understanding is the incision is common for a single Inguinal Hernia. Whereas Laparoscopic is common for double Inguinal Hernia surgery.

In my case I was limited on activity for the first week and limited for lifting to 20 lbs for the first 2 weeks. Pretty much how it worked out. Was very glad to have it done.I was having issues with food sensitivities that cleared up considerably after surgery as a side note.

Choose a good experienced surgeon and Get her done wink

Last edited by Hunterapp; 01/19/20.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My hernia repair went well. It was a belly button center hernia from birth. The surgeon fixed it with a simple stitch. The surgery went fine, but the recovery was hell. I suffered an infection that became an open wound that had to heal from the bottom. I had a 6" x 2" swollen trench of pus that had to remain open until the tissue on bottom pushed the infection out. The surgeon wasn't concerned he would dig down through the pus and say its nice and pink you are on your way. Every surgery has risks. Only the doctor will be able to tell you what to expect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the first when I was 2. Don't remember it, but have the scar.
I had the second when I was 35. To quote the surgeon, "Several standard deviations out in swelling and bleeding"...... I walked humped over a cane for a month and my dick turned black. ....For years later the inside of my thigh was numb from a nerve they disturbed.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It was about 8 weeks before I could drag a deer with confidence.
That was nov 3
Prior to that it was about 4 weeks before lifting stuff
1st week after the surgery with the nerve block they did sucked at times with certain movements
Surgery was 4 sept.
1st 2 does i shot 3rd week of sept were pretty close to a main road.

I waited till the next vehicle came by and asked for help.

1st one I had was a internal body cavity screen RS in august 03
this one was LS external musclar screen.

RS internal needs replaced now and another about 2 cm above it needs to be done that has developed

This late may or early june after turkey season get that done....

Delayed blast injuries from a grenade may 12, 03 in Mosul , I walked away from it "unharmed" until I woke up in the CASH on airfeild with a fugging tube in my airway ( fugged up way to wake up.... lol)
Also had my LS Diaphragm detach from my ribs from that blast which was the reason I woke up in the CASH in the 1st place.

Hit my rack after a late patrol the night before.
Platoon medic and my joes heard me breathing all fugged up
Medic J tubed me .
1sg and XO got me up to the airfield in a humvee

Got medevaced for 90 days for the diaphragm surgery.
They knocked out the 1st groin hernia surgery at the same time.

Took about 6 weeks between those 2 at the same time to begin to recover, also had mandatory phys therapy I had ta go to.
Unca Suga wants his toys to get back in the game if possible!!!! LOL!!!
(fugging pain nazi,s)
Went back to Iraq early Dec 03.
Glad to get back.
Felt like a POS being stateside for what I seen as my bullschitt injuries, when I was around young dudes with limbs missing and schitt doing phys therapy at Blanchfeild also.

But I also was 40 yrs old and in waaaay better shape than I was for this one at age 56.

Unca Suga takes care of his broken old toys.
Dont cost me a cent for any of it.
And it is part of my VA rating.

Basically do what your doc says

And dont be shy to ask for painkillers so you can get some sleep for the 1st couple of days after the surgery.

Aint nothing wrong with mid day opiod naps either during recovery.
Lol!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 01/19/20.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by renegade50
That was nov 3
1st week after the surgery with the nerve block they did sucked at times with certain movements
Surgery was 4 sept.

RS internal needs replaced now and another about 2 cm above it needs to be done that has developed

Delayed blast injuries from a grenade may 12, 03 in Mosul , I walked away from it "unharmed" until I woke up in the CASH on airfeild with a fugging tube in my airway ( fugged up way to wake up.... lol)
Also had my LS Diaphragm detach from my ribs from that blast which was the reason I woke up in the CASH in the 1st place.

Medic J tubed me .

Took about 6 weeks between those 2 at the same time to begin to recover, also had mandatory phys therapy I had ta go to.
(fugging pain nazi,s)
Glad to get back.
Felt like a POS being stateside for what I seen as my bullschitt injuries, when I was around young dudes with limbs missing and schitt doing phys therapy at Blanchfeild also.

But I also was 40 yrs old and in waaaay better shape than I was for this one at age 56.

And dont be shy to ask for painkillers so you can get some sleep for the 1st couple of days after the surgery.

Lol!!!

Damn, Renee. Sorry for what you’ve been through, but thank you for what you’ve done.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Oh.....
Forgot....

This one my nut sack swelled about the size of a jumbo.orange for about a week. Had all types of colors in it..

So you got that possibly going for ya too.

LOL!!!!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My sister had open heart surgery. She had to carry a pillow for 6 weeks. Every time she did any of the above, especially sneezing, she had to wrap her arms around it and squeeze to keep her chest from expanding. She said the worst part was an issue that doesn't apply here - she's 'well endowed' and they sewed her boobs together.

Oh, don’t kid yourself. There are members that would qualify!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by renegade50
That was nov 3
Surgery was 4 sept.

Medic J tubed me .

(fugging pain nazi,s)
Glad to get back.

Lol!!!

Damn, Renee. Sorry for what you’ve been through, but thank you for what you’ve done.

Aint nobody gotta thank me man.
I did it all willingly.
Dont regret a thing.
My choosen job and life
If anyone ever came to my house.
No one would be able to tell I was in the service.
Aint got no "I love me" stuff out cept for a single plaque in the mancave my guys got me when I went to korea june 04, 3 months after we got back from OIF1.

They didnt have any of that stabilization chitt after deployment that early in the war going on.

Thanks unca suga!!!
And Infantry branch desk jockeys....
3rd tour in Korea in year 21 outta 24 total.

Hahaha!!!!!

I would not change a thing....

Last edited by renegade50; 01/19/20. Reason: Spelling kicking my azz as usual. Mamcave... Wtf....lol!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.