Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
Back in the '90's there were tons of surplus rifles and pistols available for great prices, and I owned a pretty wide selection of rifles.
I sold them all off except for a pretty nice Swiss K31 with a walnut stock (it was $100).

I still regret not purchasing a shoulder stocked C96 Mauser, a stocked Inglis Hi power, and a Brazilian S&W 1917. I still feel a little
ill when I remember a nice International Harvester M1 Garand that I didn't buy for $300 at a gun show. I went back the next day, but it was gone......

I have not kept up with the surplus firearm market for the last 20 years or so.

So what I'm asking; what surplus firearms are currently being imported in quantity, and about what are they going for?

Thanks!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
About all that is left cheap is a few combloc handguns. The Polish P64 is about as good as it gets. Need new wolf springs though. DA trigger pull is vicious.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Definitely not like it used to be.. Few if any Mauser's, forget Springfields, Perhaps a few Mosins. Even pistols are gone or expensive.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Budget and bargains are long gone, unless you get lucky.

This might give you an idea of the "current day" market.

https://simpsonltd.com/long-guns/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=287

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, long gone in the past. That stuff didnt last forever.

IC B2

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Craigster
Budget and bargains are long gone, unless you get lucky.

This might give you an idea of the "current day" market.

https://simpsonltd.com/long-guns/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=287

Wow Craigster, Double wow. Those prices are four to six times or more than they were when I was buying them.
Thanks for posting that link!

I noticed elsewhere AK type rifles that sold for as low as $180 in the '90's are going for $700ish. Yikes!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Some guys are buying nice military guns, stripping the parts and selling them on ebay. Making pretty good money from the looks of it

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, just look at what Garand and M1 parts are going for now. CMP 1911's are $1K+.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Glory Days are way behind us. Foreign milsurps were not an infinite commodity, the supply had to dry up sooner or later. Now the old bugaboo of supply and demand rules the market. Foreign armies have upgraded a couple times now since their old manually operated arms were phased out and sold off, and their warehouses are empty of them. I bet there's quantities of "illegal-to-sell-here" obsolete stuff overflowing overseas warehouses that will rot in place. If that stuff were dumped here like all the old Enfields, Mausers, etc. were in the 20th century, you would see the Glory Days all over again (but to the tune of a lot of full-auto fire).

Actually, it's pretty amazing when you stop and think about it. As countries upgraded their rifles, they were left wondering what to do with their old ones. Most countries don't enjoy the freedom of gun ownership like we do so they couldn't sell them locally. Solution- dump them on us cheap just to "get 'em outta here", and we gladly accepted them. Net result- we are the repository of most of the obsolete military rifles of the world of the last 100 years or so. That's an ungodly number of rifles, and add to that the mind boggling number of domestic arms we've produced for ourselves and it's a wonder we have room to swing a cat.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/15/20.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We might get more of those F/A arms than we expect. The solution with F/A FALs was to chop up the receivers and send us the parts.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have collected mil surp at least since the 80's. as close to a sure thing as you could have got, better than the stock market.
i remember those k31swiss at about 70bucks for primo examples.
i remember paying about 170 for a finnish mosin, in hindsight, i ain't complaining.
at the time generally the best examples were the first ones imported, quality went down from there.
and understanding with the advent of select fire, at some time the quanity of these older firearms would decrease.
and prices go up.
but as my wife is fond of telling me, since you won't sell anything, it's pointless as to what they are going for these days.
my reply is, when you sell all of them, it will buy you a corvette.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My neighbor is selling some of his sporterized K-98 in 8x57 and Enfield at very reasonable prices, they are 1" guns or less at 100 yards, I have shot them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang. I never would have thought they would be asking so much for milsurps.

I have a Russian SKS NIB I bought back in the early 90's. Still has cosmoline on it. Think I will hold onto it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had pretty good luck with the 95 Chileans. There's usually a few on Gunbroker. They cost more than they used to but not bad for Mausers in todays milsurp market. The ones made by Ludwig Lowe in Berlin are classified as antiques since they're pre 1898. They can be shipped to your door which eliminates DROS related costs unless the seller specifies shipping to an FFL.

I haven't got one yet that didn't have enough rifling to be a decent enough shooter, even the ones with dark bores.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Only one I have is an M1 carbine my father gave me. No sentimental value to either of us, so when I get around to shooting it, if it's a clunker it'll go down the road to finance something else. In that case, the market will be my friend.

A few years back I sold a number 4 SMLE I paid $14.95 for at Joe The Motorists Friend for $250. This was before the current hot market, and I was well-satisfied.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Only one I have is an M1 carbine my father gave me. No sentimental value to either of us, so when I get around to shooting it, if it's a clunker it'll go down the road to finance something else. In that case, the market will be my friend.

A few years back I sold a number 4 SMLE I paid $14.95 for at Joe The Motorists Friend for $250. This was before the current hot market, and I was well-satisfied.

i am aware of a jungle enfield selling for about 1100bucks in the last week or so.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well, the carbine just went down the road for $1125, to a nice young man with a serious interest in WWII. Win win.
Not really cheap, but excellent rifles at reasonable prices are the various Swede 6.5s. I look all the time, just haven't made up my mind yet.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where, oh where,
are the '95 Winchesters in 7.62'54R?

Im my mind, there is a big room with racks of $
waiting to be cashed in.

If a guy could just quietly get hold of them and sell
them off one at a time!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Where, oh where,
are the '95 Winchesters in 7.62'54R?

Im my mind, there is a big room with racks of $
waiting to be cashed in.

If a guy could just quietly get hold of them and sell
them off one at a time!

I've often wondered if the russians still have some stashed.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure glad I threw down a hunnat dollah or less for various SKS's, both Sino and Soviet. Kind of wish I'd bought a hunnat of dem.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
512 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.