Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I started another thread on here looking for a low-cost replacement for my Vortex Sandpiper spotting scope to use at the range when I came across the Athlon Optics Cronus Tactical FFP Mil 7-42x60 ED

I'm guessing the optics are very good since it's ED glass w/ BAK-4 prisms so how far will the 42x be useful for in decent light to pick up 22cal bullet holes when paper-punching? And, for those with experience using a mil-reticle or ranging spotter, are these useful enough (deer hunting, shooting prairie dogs/targets, etc.) to justify spending the extra $$ over a regular spotter?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nebraska
And, for those with experience using a mil-reticle or ranging spotter, are these useful enough (deer hunting, shooting prairie dogs/targets, etc.) to justify spending the extra $$ over a regular spotter?

Absolutely. More so if you shoot using MRad rifle scopes.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Wrongside
And, for those with experience using a mil-reticle or ranging spotter, are these useful enough (deer hunting, shooting prairie dogs/targets, etc.) to justify spending the extra $$ over a regular spotter?

Everything I have is MRad with the exception of our two 270 deer rifles which are sporting Bushnell Elite 3-9s w/ the etched ballistic reticle (MOA). I love those scopes for hunting but will probably switch those over to the LRHS this summer too just for the sake of consistency.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Looks like the Bushnell Elite Tactical LMSS. I wonder if it’s the same optic.

https://www.bushnell.com/products/spotting-scopes/collections/elite-tactical/

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Everything I have is MRad with the exception of our two 270 deer rifles which are sporting Bushnell Elite 3-9s w/ the etched ballistic reticle (MOA). I love those scopes for hunting but will probably switch those over to the LRHS this summer too just for the sake of consistency.

You do sound like someone who'd get good use out of a reticle equipped spotting scope.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Looks like the Bushnell Elite Tactical LMSS. I wonder if it’s the same optic.

https://www.bushnell.com/products/spotting-scopes/collections/elite-tactical/

John

Same thought I had when I first saw the Athlon. Almost a dead ringer. Different rets...

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Maybe Doug will add them to his SHOT sale!!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm curious about spotters with reticles too, and was wondering about this lower priced Bushnell.

Bushy Legend Tactical

Doesn't seem as fancy or HD glass, but have seem them much cheaper at Amazon (around $300-350).
Currently own a Theron Saker, so will not be much improvement, save the MRAD reticle addition

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sponxx
I'm curious about spotters with reticles too, and was wondering about this lower priced Bushnell.

Bushy Legend Tactical

Doesn't seem as fancy or HD glass, but have seem them much cheaper at Amazon (around $300-350).
Currently own a Theron Saker, so will not be much improvement, save the MRAD reticle addition

I had one of those for a while. It was certainly functional, with more than adequate glass. The reticle is only 0.5 Mill graduations- as opposed to the 0.2 on my current scope- making extrapolation necessary on occasion. Also, the focus was sometimes fussy to get perfect. Still, a good starting point and value, IMO.

Last edited by Wrongside; 01/16/20.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
That looks like a good option for the $$ since it also has ED glass and BAK-4 prisms. Would love to compare that side-toside with the Athlon!!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,551
Posts18,453,584
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.