Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
And there was this cruise ship that pulled into an Alaska port with a whale wrapped around its bow.

Didn't even know it was there.

Had to work an accident years ago where a truck driver pulled into a truck stop and went inside.

His rig drew quite a crowd. They called the cops...

Got there, and saw why.

There was a guy's severed head in the front of the truck. shocked

Had to page the trucker to find him. Then we got the route he'd taken, and had several deputies back-tracking. They found the body a couple of counties over. Drunk guy crawling along the highway on a dark night.

Trucker never saw him.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Ill tell you one thing that Highway between Baggs Wyoming and Craig Co has to have more deer per sq mile than any other stretch in the country.

In late 70's and early 80's, I bet that stretch between Gillette and Broadus would give your statement a run. I was making a Denver to Miles City RT run about once a month then, usually into the wee hours when northbound, and it was nothing to see 300 deer in that stretch, most of them just in the headlights. Didn't get much better Broudus to MC.

Score was Dodge Duster totaled, no deer injured.... Buck came out of the roadside grass about hood high, and I instinctively twitched the wheel, breaking loose the back end ( 55mph- down because of deer, from 75 I usually drove. Back end broke loose and I was going backward, doing fine until the left rear wheel went off the pavement into dirt. All she wrote.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read an article a few years ago, about a woman in PA hitting a deer with her SUV. Toddler strapped in the back seat. She saw the deer running across fields way off to her left, didn't think anything of it. Deer crossed the road ahead of her and she nailed it, Deer came through the windshield, over top of the kid's noggin and out through the rear hatch glass. IIRC, the EMT folks said she was still hyperventilating when they arrived? Recall it happened near the Tioga County, PA fairgrounds.

Once coming home from camp in the day time, son spotted a deer running parallel to the road, a good three hundred yards out. Going about 75, when he yelled to look out. Sumbitch had veered towards the highway, damn near whacked it crossing the road.

Gal I know that drives a semi, hit a deer one night in NJ a few years ago. Stopped, didn't see any damage to the truck. Got home about six hours later, discovered the deer's head wedged between the front drive axle and an air bag.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Has anyone ever tried to hit a deer?

Many years ago, there was a big buck that was using my farm and the neighbors. This was in the years before trail cameras, and the deer was almost 100% nocturnal. I'd find his tracks on my place, and he was using it at night, then heading back into the neighbors heavy cover. I hunted him a few years, never seeing anything but tracks. One night I was coming home from a second shift at the factory I was working in at the time, and as I topped the hill on the gravel road, the buck was standing in the middle of the road less than a 100 yards in front of me. I was driving a 1979 F-150, 4 speed, with the 300 C.I. six cylinder. I put it in third gear and floored it, determined to run that big SOB down. Instead of leaving the road, the buck was running down it in front of me. I had gotten close enough that I thought I was going to run over him, and was gripping the steering wheel getting ready. That buck left the road, and instead of jumping a 5 strand barbed wire fence, he went through it. I went back and looked the next morning, and there was deer hair all over the ground, and the wire was loose.

As far as I know, that buck died of old age, as no one killed it that I ever heard of. I've thought about how dumb that was to try and run over it, but at the time it seemed like the thing to do. I sure as heck wouldn't try it today with the way trucks are made, with all the plastic on the frontend. That old 79 was all metal, and I wasn't afraid to hit a deer with it like I'd be the 2017 one I drive today.

"Grandpa, you must be a great hunter! Tell us the story about that great big one on the wall!"

frown

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I hit a Brahma bull one time in a Ford Ranger. Killed the Bull and the truck. Bulls have a lot of shidt in them. Truck was covered. Fortunately I wasn't hurt.
When I bought my current truck I bought a Ranch Hand bumper. Hit a deer last year going to hunt and didn't do anything to the truck.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
knock on wood, I have never hit a big animal, but I was coming home one night with a friend and we drove past a dairy farm

similar to story above this

A fence was down and the cows were out on the road. We are both pretty comfortable around cattle , we sort of knew the farmer so we turned around to go back and herd them back into the field before anything bad happened

As we were coming back, a cow, probably coming in around maybe 900 - 1100 pounds runs out in front of a Ford ranger tooling down the road about 50mph.

It was a site to see for sure, he t-boned that cow (or soon to be t-bones, anyway) and launched it about 25 feet down the road. It skidded on its side for another 10 feet or so.

The ranger just turned into an accordion. The truck owner falls out of the truck and is clearly stunned trying to grasp just what happened.

Btw the time the dust settled the farmer came out. He had a bum leg and was struggling to get to us. While he was coming at us, the cow gets up and starts walking back into the field on his own power, obviously messed up and had a bad limp.

I felt for the cow, the farmer and the guy owning the truck owner.

So picture this site, its 1 in the morning, its foggy, muddy as hell, and an old man with a Walter Brennan limp is pushing a cow with a the same Walter Brennan limp thru a muddy field while a guy is staring at this crumpled heap of metal that 5 minutes ago was his truck.

It was kind of surreal. After determining there was nothing we could do and having no desire to interact with police showing up in our post bar hopping state, we left.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/15/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When my daughter first started driving, we gave her the Pontiac 6000 LE that my wife had been driving, and bought my wife another car. Daughter was coming home one night and hit a very large boar hog, probably in the 6-700 category, that had gotten out from a nearby farm. Insurance company fixed the car, then later told us that if the damage had been just $100 more, they would have totaled it out. Cops went to farmer and asked him if he owned that hog, and of course he said no.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was once out in southern NM between Pinion and Dell City cruising through some wide open country. As I approached a cattle guard, which was on a little bit of a rise, I saw cows on the other side. One was looking right at me, standing along side of the road. I was going about 20 mph as I went over the guard. At the moment I had the least weight on the wheels that cow decided to dart out in front of me to give my lil ol Ranger a good kick in the grill, which she did just an instant before I smacked her. I saw my hood crumple in slow motion followed by the cow being launched further down the road. The cow walked away---satisfied, I'd imagine. I'd driven through cattle country quite a bit and never saw any behavior like that, but it taught me a lesson.

A few years before that, I was headed from Pryor to Billings on a dark night, probably moving along at about 60 when suddenly I passed a black angus standing right on the shoulder to my right. Before I could even conciously react I realized there were a dozen or more standing on the highway. Somehow I threaded through them without hitting one. I'll never know how.

When I was stationed in Jacksonville, I'd bought a Trans Am that was four years old, but cherry. I was out playing in it one night and found an odd place near the base where there were long, straight but narrow roads going through the woods but there was nothing out there. It was a perfect place to run the hell out of it...well, almost. But that's what I did. I would guess I had it up to about 125. I saw something smallish that was going to run right out in front of me, but was just thousandths of a second too late. I thought I heard a "tick" as I flew by it. I don't know what it was, but at the time I thought it was a very small deer and in my mind's eye it had antlers, but this happened in late spring. I'll never know what it was, but there was no damage to the car.

That poor Trans Am suffered greatly. I got out of the Navy shortly after that near disaster and went back to El Paso as a civilian, and I kinda picked up where I left off, heading out east of town at night frequently to shoot jackrabbits. When they were plentiful we'd usually run over a few without swerving or braking, but always in a pickup (and that's what I should have been driving). It became a habit and we'd tally them up along with those we shot. So there I am in my cherry Trans Am cruising down a wide, smooth dirt road when a jackrabbit darted out in front of me...and old habit just kicked in. The sound of that front air dam disintegrating underneath the car is something I can still hear, and before that sound subsided I experienced wave after wave of regret washing over me. The next sound I heard was my cousin's insane laughter.

That was in 1980 and I still plan to kick his ass for that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a brangus bull about 1900 lbs. run into by a lady in a Ford 1 ton at 1AM one night. She hit his head with her driver side front corner and apparently killed him. She pulled off on the shoulder and was trying to notify someone when along came state highway patrolman at an estimated 110 MPH. The Ford Crown Vic he was driving was completely demolished. The police car was old and had over 150K miles on it. The policeman wasn't hurt, I guess the air bag saved him. My insurance paid the damage to the truck but started balking about paying for the police car in full. They said he was partially to blame as he was not answering a call and was going over 100 MPH. I asked my insurance co. to go ahead and pay in full but I don't know how it worked out in the end. I heard the cop got some sort of serious reprimand.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over the years, the wife and I have hit 10-12 deer with our cars/trucks. Been lucky that none of us were hurt and none of the vehicles were totaled. Insurance paid for the damages except the deductible.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Ill tell you one thing that Highway between Baggs Wyoming and Craig Co has to have more deer per sq mile than any other stretch in the country.

In late 70's and early 80's, I bet that stretch between Gillette and Broadus would give your statement a run. I was making a Denver to Miles City RT run about once a month then, usually into the wee hours when northbound, and it was nothing to see 300 deer in that stretch, most of them just in the headlights. Didn't get much better Broudus to MC.

Score was Dodge Duster totaled, no deer injured.... Buck came out of the roadside grass about hood high, and I instinctively twitched the wheel, breaking loose the back end ( 55mph- down because of deer, from 75 I usually drove. Back end broke loose and I was going backward, doing fine until the left rear wheel went off the pavement into dirt. All she wrote.

Kemmerer, Wy to Sage Junction, Wyoming (25 miles) used to average 600+ deer kills per year, prior to high fencing and tunnels beneath the roadway. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hit a horse with a 1968 Chrysler Newport at night in heavy fog. Horse appeared out of the fog running towards me. I swerved and clipped him with the drivers side rear quarter. Knocked the horse down but he got up and walked away. No significant damage to the car. Try that with a new Kia 😝

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hit a deer and didn't die. The state trooper gave me his riot shotgun to kill it. He said dont be telling all your buddies that I let you used my gun. I said dude, I am telling everyone I know. Got 53# of meat from a doe that had been hit by a truck and shot. It was a big doe.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was rushing one evening to go meet the rancher that we leased from, to go to a wild game charity dinner. I was going probably around 40mph on this gravel county road and as I came over a rise before a cattle guard, one of that ranchers calves ran out into the road in front of my Nissan Titan. I was hard on the brakes with the anti-lock kicking in as I struck that cow. Knocked it down and pushed it under my skid plate as it got drug down the gravel road for a few yards. As soon as I came to a full stop, that cow jumped up out from under my truck and looked at me with as much of a "WTF" look on his face as a cow can muster and then ran off into the pasture, just missing a patch of hair on his side. Messed up my bumper and fender but the truck was still driveable. We met up with the rancher and his wife in town, with me not really being in the mood to party now that my truck is messed up, and then come to find the rancher had the wrong date for the charity dinner and it was the next weekend! He felt bad so we found a restaurant and he bought us dinner.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Around here, hitting deer is something of a hobby. I used to smugly look down on those who hit deer as being less than adequate drivers. I learned from experience that there are times when it is absolutely impossible to avoid. One can often see the possibility of a collision when there are deer evident along the road, but when they come pouring up out of a draw, the game is pretty much over.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
His a deer broadside with my Ford Excursion years ago. Cracked my grill and tore off my front license plate holder. $550 in total damages.

[Linked Image from img5.goodfon.com]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Ranch Road One , parallels the Perdenalis going by "The Western Whitehouse" , never saw so many ground up whitetails, so concentrated on any other road I've been on.

Thats interesting. Drove it 1.5 months ago and never saw a dead deer or blood spot. saw a few WT and Axis deer live though hanging around.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Ranch Road One , parallels the Perdenalis going by "The Western Whitehouse" , never saw so many ground up whitetails, so concentrated on any other road I've been on.

Thats interesting. Drove it 1.5 months ago and never saw a dead deer or blood spot. saw a few WT and Axis deer live though hanging around.

Hauled calves to Fredericksburg Tuesday a week ago. Never seen the likes of dead axis on 290 between Blumenthal and Hye.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Chevy Colorado "didn't see me". 15,000.00 damage to Chevelle. Totaled his new truck.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
Chevy Colorado "didn't see me". 15,000.00 damage to Chevelle. Totaled his new truck.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

OMG, that's heart breaking. I just picked up my '68 SS from the mechanic and took it home today. Needed new header gaskets and an oil change. This thread reminded me of what happened last week when I took it to him. Now your post reminded me to write about it.

I left home with the Chevelle at 6:00am to go to work and then take the car to my guy later on. It was dark and after I got out on the main road, I figured I'd "stretch his legs" one time as I hadn't driven it in a couple of months. So I hammered down on it and was tooling along at about 60 mph and came around a corner and out runs a doe. I locked'em up for a second, and with a little stunt driving, missed the deer.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
476 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.