Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good choice! I’m sure GAP will get you taken care of. A bartlein #3 will be much better in an EH2.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Right on!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll get photos up later today, but my new GAP rifle came in yesterday. To say I'm happy would be an understatement. This thing is EXACTLY what I wanted. I should have went custom years ago, though I probably needed to hunt with all those factory rifles in order to really understand what I wanted in a rifle. I'm blown away by the fit, finish, and quality. The #3 Bartlein is absolutely perfect--heavier than sporter but not quite Remington varmint thick. The 3 position safety and CRF bolt is phenomenal. Keep in mind that this build was meant for whitetail and hogs from elevated stands in southern Georgia. I went with .308 because I'm invested in that cartridge, and working up loads is trivial.

- Manners EH2 with painted (Cerakote) GAP camo by Larsen Tactical
- Templar V1 (Hunter) action with "sheep cut" for weight reduction
- Controlled-round feed bolt with three-position safety
- APA RTG bottom metal with Curtis 3-round flush fit magazine
- Bartlein #3 fluted, 10" twist, finished at 21"
- Trigger Tech Special with flat shoe tuned to 2.5 lbs.
- Pic rail on the forearm for bipod use
- Cerakote graphite black

Last edited by richardca99; 01/15/20.

Chris
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like a nice rifle that’s for sure...I been thinking about ordering one of those Gap rifles myself...

Public landowner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Richard that sounds awesome. Find some Varget and 155 scenars and you’ll be in tall cotton!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pics man!

Just kidding. I bet she’s gorgeous

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
These photos suck, but you'll get the point. Once again, the build specs:

- Manners EH2 with painted (Cerakote) GAP camo by Larsen Tactical
- Templar V1 (Hunter) action with "sheep cut" for weight reduction
- Bolt and raceways nitrided
- Controlled-round feed with three-position safety
- APA RTG bottom metal with Curtis 3-round flush fit magazine
- Bartlein #3 fluted, 10" twist, finished at 21"
- Trigger Tech Special with flat shoe tuned to 2.5 lbs.
- Pic rail on the forearm for bipod use

While I haven't shot it yet, here are my key takeaways from the experience SO FAR:

1) GAP's reputation appears to be well earned. The entire ordeal from start to finish was near flawless, and I really can't complain about anything. If you can spare the coin, I don't think you'll be sorry.
2) This build spec is exactly what I hoped it would be. I would do nothing different. Basically, it's the culmination of my 35 years in the whitetail woods and what I felt an ideal deer rifle would be for my style of hunting.
3) I obsessed about barrel contour, and I couldn't be happier with the Bartlein #3. To me, it's like a "light varmint." Fluted and finished to 21", it's the PERFECT combination of diameter. length, and material.
3) I should have done this custom thing a long time ago. However, I'm not sure I'd have known what I really wanted without all those factory-rifle experiences, so maybe I needed to get here slowly.

This gun will get either a VX-6HD (2-12x42) or a NF ATACR 4-16x50F1. I have the Leupold ready to go, and I WANT it to work, as it's cheaper and lighter, but we'll see how things go. It's going to have to dial consistently, or she gone. I'm going to begin with the 155 Scenar-L, Alpha brass, and either Varget or H4895 (whichever shoots better). If this combo shoots, I'll give the Scenar a try in the deer woods this fall.

The only thing I'm not 100% happy with is the bipod rail. The one that GAP installed appears to have a flat base. While the EH2 has a wide forearm, this rail is a poor match for the contour of the forearm, so I'll either bed it, or I'll change to a different rail. I'm sure it would be fine, but I just can't live with it only making contact near the center.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by richardca99; 01/18/20.

Chris
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That’s a very nice looking rifle... I’m sure you’ll be very happy with it...

Public landowner...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Very nice!

What did the final weight end up being?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
7.4 lbs with the Curtis magazine installed. I was hoping for no more than 7.5, so I'm happy. Weird thing is that it feels lighter than that.

8.9 lbs with the VX-6 HD and 30mm TPS aluminum rings. Four rounds and a nylon sling ought to put it just over 9 lbs. I’ll take it.

Last edited by richardca99; 01/19/20.

Chris
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks good! Reminds me of one I had built by Jon Beanland. Mine is 14.6lb all up as seen.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That’s a beauty MCH. Your rifle is obviously more of a long range rig with the longer, heavy contour barrel. What I was going for was something that would be close to a precision rifle but also be maneuverable and ”huntable” from a climber, tripod, or box blind. If the VX-6 HD behaves, I should be around nine pounds with a set of TRS alloy rings and four rounds.

Chris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Looks good! Reminds me of one I had built by Jon Beanland. Mine is 14.6lb all up as seen.

Very nice stick Allen!..Surprised your spindly little arms can bare the weight...Grins, Snarc 😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by richardca99
That’s a beauty MCH. Your rifle is obviously more of a long range rig with the longer, heavy contour barrel. What I was going for was something that would be close to a precision rifle but also be maneuverable and ”huntable” from a climber, tripod, or box blind. If the VX-6 HD behaves, I should be around nine pounds with a set of TRS alloy rings and four rounds.

Barrel is 23" and 24-1/8 to end of break. Yeah I wanted a long range rifle but still be able to hunt it. So it is a sh_t compromise, but I am enjoying it. I wouldn't do it again. I would either build a long range target rifle or a hunting rifle. My thought process was I don't compete in LR but do enjoy shooting LR, so if I could get a good enough LR rig that I can hunt with if desired it's a bonus.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Very nice stick Allen!..Surprised your spindly little arms can bare the weight...Grins, Snarc 😂😎

They can't! That is why I am going to have you be both my gun bearer and pack carrier! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laffin...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Laffin...😎

You better be ready for Spring Bear. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will be happy if I can stay out of MCH's crosshairs........ smile nice rifle.

I have read with great interest Scenars threads about re-barreling his GAP rifles and maintaining the accuracy and even retaining the old barrels zero. Speaks to the quality of the Bartlien barrels and GAP machining.

I too have made the same mistake in a build combining long range format with hunting and ended up too heavy, they always seem to get left behind for a lighter rifle

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by irfubar
I will be happy if I can stay out of MCH's crosshairs........ smile nice rifle.

I have read with great interest Scenars threads about re-barreling his GAP rifles and maintaining the accuracy and even retaining the old barrels zero. Speaks to the quality of the Bartlien barrels and GAP machining.

I too have made the same mistake in a build combining long range format with hunting and ended up too heavy, they always seem to get left behind for a lighter rifle

Haha You are not even close to being in my crosshairs. It takes a lot more than a sensationalist drama queen to get in my crosshairs. I would actually like to meet you. I suspect you probably aren't a bad guy.

As for heavy rifles there are places I don't mind packing the extra weight and there are places I would not think of it. I do like my light rifles, but I barely ever pry my c_nt off the couch so I live vicariously through the Fire!

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/18/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MCH,
Hey, if we are going to be friends maybe you should start out by saying something nice? ... like hey nice rifle you have.... just sayin
Another thing you always look angry in your couch pic's.... I like to laugh and have fun.. not sure we would get along?

Signed,
Drama Queen...... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

319 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,626
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.