Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
ok fellas i know i'm trying to break the oldest rule in hunting. but, both patches where i can get my 9 yr old to maybe see and kill his first deer are looking south where a north wing will blow our scent right to our intended targets. as to the title of my post is there anyway to cheat the wind or the deer's noses to maybe hunt those stands even when the wind is less than favorable? i only ask this because he has maybe 1 or 2 more times to go with me before season closes and both times the wind will be coming outta the north straight to the patch where the deer should be located. didn't know if we maybe washed our clother,again, in some dead down wind scent free soap and sprayed down real good maybe we could get away with it??? what say y'all please? i wouldn't normally even ask this and would hunt another stand but we only have so many shooting houses.
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Height of stand and warm air rising. If your stand is high enough and the air is warming it can "possibly" keep your scent above their nose. Long shot but it's worked for me in a few places.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You may get by with it the first time and get a shot because the wind does change directions or is not blowing according to the weather forecast. We hunt box stands also and I've witnessed other club members hunting box stands with a bad wind and still kill deer. You're not going to trick a deer's nose no matter what you wash your clothes in.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
While not fool proof (I'm not sure anything is with deer), we've been able to hunt some bad direction winds using a ground blind, keeping windows closed on the side the wind is hitting. Positive they don't keep all the scent in, but I've had deer downwind not seem to notice. FWIW...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used a buck bomb or even 2 on a bad wind. Let one can dispense into the air in front of the blind and another I would hit a quick mist in the air every 10 minutes or so out the window. Basically try to over power your scent. Use a scent for the right time of season. Ever calm is a great scent to use. I’ve had young bucks bed within bow range of my blind using Ever Calm scent on a rock in front of my blind. Clean clothes, shower clean with scent soap.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've heard good things about those Ozonic devices. Never used one personally.

Edit
If you have more time next year, a farmer told me of a trick his friend used to nail a big buck. The guy put a dummy in his stand with various lubricants and other work related scents from farm work. The deer got used to it over the summer. He then went hunting with his work clothes on, and the buck didn't notice anything different.

Last edited by driggy; 01/15/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some deer are more scent conscious than others. You can get away with a lot more scent issues around more urban scent accustomed deer than you can with deep woods deer. I've had big woods bucks walk up to my track, do a 180 and I never saw that track again the rest of that deer season. As was mentioned earlier, getting up way higher than any 9 year old should be will either blow over the top of the deer or be more dispersed Winds swirl and deer don't always walk nose into the prevailing wind or all the deer would be up in the North West somewhere. You can probably catch a few cross wind, so late in the season you might get sniffed, but it won't wreck the spot long term. A 9 year old just wants to be out there with dad for the experience and a deer should be a bonus.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deer in farm country here don't react to human scent like deer do in non-farm country. Heck, I smell like diesel fuel, chainsaw gas/oil, cows, horses and cow schidt most of the time, in fact I have been known to step in barn yard schidt on purpose before going to a stand. About the only thing gives me away is Hoppe's #9.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
if i am in a enclosed stand i don`t worry about wind ,i just keep the windows and door shut and that does make a difference.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I get away with it all the time on my farm, they are used to me there, but no where else. A mature deer get's down wind of you, they're GONE.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There are some serious scent killers on the market that really work. I have had bucks fighting around my stand and I was only 8' off the ground, had does bed down at the base of my ladder stand with my back pack that had been sprayed with the scent killer. I have had coyotes cross my trail that I had walked in on, 6 in a row, they never smelled my track because I had sprayed the bottom of my boots. Lots of stories in the family, lots.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by pete53
if i am in a enclosed stand i don`t worry about wind ,i just keep the windows and door shut and that does make a difference.

^^^^^ This.

I think you'll find that it's not going to make much difference where the wind is, if you're hunting a food source from a box blind you're likely to see deer. Now you may not see mature bucks in legal hours unless it's during the rut, but I wouldn't worry about the wind.

I never really understood the whole hunt the wind thing anyway. I mean they say you must hunt down wind of where you expect to see the deer, ok got it. Then they also say mature bucks always travel up wind. Hmmm, ok, how exactly do I get down wind of him again?

I just do my best to eliminate as much human odors as I can and I mostly hunt from a climber up real high when I'm setting up on a good buck. When I'm meat hunting, I hunt a food source and don't pay wind much attention. I might close the window or 2 on a box blind but that's about it. Sure I get busted occassionally but it's usually because they were in close and saw me move. Never ceases to amaze how close they can get on me without knowing they are anywhere around.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If it is cold enough a small heater helps to disperse your scent upwards if the wind is not too bad. I have tested this with smoke and also the deer themselves, works well sometimes. Used Fox Urine as a cover scent when bow hunting it seemed to help, put it on a rag or wick not your clothes as it is hard to wash out and really stinks. Same for skunk but that seemed to alert the deer as the scent itself is an alarm or warning scent.

A friend swears by the silver thread under layer clothes and a scent remover spray, I think they are a waste of money. The enzyme scent killers do work but there is always some scent around.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Wrap yourselves in plastic. Just make sure your son promises not to fart............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Evercalm or Tink's smoking sticks have worked but not a guarantee

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best for future hunts is to condition the deer to your scent using a technique like the one above. Not that I hunt stands or conditions like that out west, but it's common sense/scents. Good luck to you.

LOL
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
If it means your 9 yr old will get to hunt or not I say hunt it even if the wind is bad.

As others have said, you cannot fool a deers nose but some deer, does and young bucks, are not as sensitive to human sent. Also, as others have said, deer living on working farms or more urban areas are accustom to human scent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remington280
You may get by with it the first time and get a shot because the wind does change directions or is not blowing according to the weather forecast. We hunt box stands also and I've witnessed other club members hunting box stands with a bad wind and still kill deer. You're not going to trick a deer's nose no matter what you wash your clothes in.

I have on multiple occasions had deer circle me and come right up to almost kissing close while wearing GI surplus charcoal camo. I know they didn't smell me, they just saw something out of place in their world.
had one doe circle me 5-6 times then come up and stick out her nose less then 12 inches from me. I could see her eyelashes close. I whispered "hey baby" and she just bout shucked her hide getting away. went out 20 yards and started circling again.

oh yeah, whats a box stand? something like a hollow stump?

Last edited by deerstalker; 01/15/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Face the other direction.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was able to kill a doe last week directly down wind of me. I sprayed down with scent killer and used Evercalm. She knew I was there and was trying to see if I would move. She made it to 60 yards before I shot.

She wasnt going to stay very long. A small buck came through before she did and grazed 20 minutes in my food plot. Im guessing he had other things on his mind. He didnt pay me any attention

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.