Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

You **actually** believe ABC?

Here in Australia the ABC is right up there in trust, the polls have repeatedly shown it is by far the most trusted media source in the country.
We're also inclined to trust the blokes fighting the fires, the RFS, CFA.
What we don't trust is someone across the other side of the world with zero first hand knowledge telling us what's happening in our backyard

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't recall the ABC ever being untrustworthy

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A whhaaannnbulance has been summoned for Greta Thunberg's smokespoles and zero six...until it arrives, keep howling at the sky.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Drugs will do bad things to you

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Best of luck to everyone down there. Sad, sad event.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This whole issue of fires allegedly being deliberately lit seems to have been seized on in support of a quite separate argument.

The reality is that how the fires were started is not relevant to the argument at all. There are a range of ways fires have started.

The important point is that however they are started, fires won't get going, and then get out of control, without fuel .When you have a buildup of twigs and dead leaves and other litter, and it is really dry, and the temperatures are at record levels, that is a recipe for a big fire, easily started by any number of different sources of ignition, whether lightning, a dropped cigarette, powerlines shorting, a hot catalylic converter on a car, even Army live firing, or arsonists.

Eucalypts tend to drop a lot of twigs, strips of bark and leaves, and even bigger branches, and this stuff is great for getting a fire going. You can't start out with trees burning, you need the kindling to get a fire going. However, if there's dry litter to get it going well enough, and it gets up into the crowns of the trees, it'll build up its own momentum and then can progress rapidly, even into areas where the leaf litter etc on the floor had already been burned. Once it has got to that stage there's little chance you'll stop it - these big fires send showers of embers ahead, and can even create their own lightning.

The big argument here is about doing regular control burns in cool season, where you can manage a low intensity fire to clear out all the fallen leaves and twigs and such. It seems to be more or less an agreed fact that not nearly enough of it is done. There is argument about why, and this includes barriers put up by "green" types including some in the agencies responsible, as well as from the risk-averse and penny-pinching, which makes it just too hard to get it done. As well as control burns there has also been green influence in relation to maintaining fire trails and firebreaks, especially in national parks.

FWIW our native forest evolved for fire. Some species actually need fire, for their seeds to germinate. It also returns minerals to the soil, and many species recover very quickly after fire. The evidence is that for tens of thousands of years the indigenous people burned the land regularly, usually doing it in cool seasons and it a patchwork, so it created areas of fresh growth to attract the game animals, as well as keeping the land more open. The burning was noted by white explorers, and the first white settlers also described the land along the east coast as open parkland, where you could see for hundreds of yards. Much of that is now covered in eucalypt forest, because the "firestick farming" of the old people wasn't kept up.

But there again, what would I know? I only live here, spend time in the bush, and talk to people here about this sort of stuff. I've only been involved in a few control burns, and a bit of firefighting. Clearly I'd have to defer to the experts 9000 miles away who know so much better than us here about what is going on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Come on out to the Pacific Northwest, lady dan and see what REAL forests look like and see what a real fire season looks like. We'll give you a yellow shirt to wear and let you help fight the fires in mountainous terrain and watch you cry to get home to your scrub lands.

Geezer fn punks yappin'.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What a moron.

Good luck Dan/all.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fix your ponytail/manbun and get some new sandals, snowflake.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pull your head out of your ass, Joe, you're embarrassing yourself:

Come on out to the Pacific Northwest, lady dan and see what REAL forests look like and see what a real fire season looks like. We'll give you a yellow shirt to wear and let you help fight the fires in mountainous terrain and watch you cry to get home to your scrub lands.

One of our staunchest allies is suffering through their worst fire season in recorded history, during one of their worst droughts in recorded history, and you find it appropriate to post juvenile taunts?

Pathetic. What the f*ck is wrong with you?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Loosen up your ponytail, old man.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Loosen this, d*ckweed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Loosen this, d*ckweed.

Weak little crybaby smokespoles.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dan_oz

The big argument here is about doing regular control burns in cool season, where you can manage a low intensity fire to clear out all the fallen leaves and twigs and such. It seems to be more or less an agreed fact that not nearly enough of it is done. There is argument about why, and this includes barriers put up by "green" types including some in the agencies responsible, as well as from the risk-averse and penny-pinching, which makes it just too hard to get it done. As well as control burns there has also been green influence in relation to maintaining fire trails and firebreaks, especially in national parks.
Clearly I'd have to defer to the experts 9000 miles away who know so much better than us here about what is going on.

Lots of people 9000 miles away know this and have been saying it. Funny how people 9000 miles away can actually know whats going on, know how to mitigate and even perhaps prevent it, yet those only 9 miles away chose not to for whatever various reasons.

I dont think distance is your issue.

Good luck with the (preventable) fires you guys are having. We'll be having more of our own here in the US for the same reasons. Failure to plan.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Loosen this, d*ckweed.

Weak little crybaby smokespoles.

Oooh. That really hurts coming from you, Napoleon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, you have the option of going back to sleep...where you know what you are talking about.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Geezer fn punks yappin'.

that fits just fine in the prick category. Best to you. What an azzhole.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And a lame prick at that. Likes to bag on people for their age, how sad. Apparently he hasn't figured out that age is one of the few rhings in life that's unavoidable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Get mental health counseling...you trigger easily...a red flag is starting to appear on your forehead.

Do avoid traffic stops by LE agencies.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To the Aussies, best of luck, hope you get some unseasonable rains and get the fires under control soon.

I'm out here, we've polluted your forum enough already with this BS.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
112 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.