Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Interesting, thanks for your input. Definitely 2 hole would help.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the right bullet the .243 leaves exit holes most of the time, IME

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
.243" monometals or partitions more often will exit. Exit, of itself, does not guarantee a blood trail. Fascial layers, skin overlap, bunch of reasons. Moreover, the limited expansion that makes premium bullets more likely to exit tends to make for a smaller exit hole diameter.

More likely a blood trail from .22s and .24s, such as it is, comes from the mouth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
.270 winchester

Arguably the best choice ever for a dedicated deer rifle.

For whitetail at under 50 yards from a deerstand?

I can think of at least a dozen cartridges I’d chose in that scenario over the 270.

I can think of a few myself, but I don't know anyone that would argue a .270 won't work in that situation. And some of the ones I would choose for that situation are low on the list of what I would choose for others.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Dunno. Lotta sense in a 243 and 270. That's been my choice for quite a while.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sam_H
.243" monometals or partitions more often will exit. Exit, of itself, does not guarantee a blood trail. Fascial layers, skin overlap, bunch of reasons. Moreover, the limited expansion that makes premium bullets more likely to exit tends to make for a smaller exit hole diameter.

More likely a blood trail from .22s and .24s, such as it is, comes from the mouth.

No argument from me. Just wanted to make sure we’re on the same page.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
.270 winchester

Arguably the best choice ever for a dedicated deer rifle.

For whitetail at under 50 yards from a deerstand?

I can think of at least a dozen cartridges I’d chose in that scenario over the 270.

Damn. Another Texas dig. But we normally set our stands at least 100 yards from the feeder. LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A real noticeable step "up" from a 243, that you can tell something different is happening when shooting deer, comes at the 30 caliber level in my experience, and a 30-06 velocity level.

So, just get a 30-06 and you won't ever have made a mistake at any range to 500 yards for deer.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks, and yep, that would be a big step up with noticeable difference.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I grew up West of you on I-10, East, Tx and our deer were of similar size. I used the 30-06 a lot. I started out with Remington factory 150gr ptd Corlokt. kept my shots behind the shoulder, no wasted meat. ( That was a big thing with my dad) I later (late 70s) tried the Federal Red Box ( remember those?) with Sierra 165 SBT. They worked better for accuracy ( a jammomatic Mod 742) yet also never wasted meat on either deer or hogs. Can't never, no never ever go wrong with a 30-06, and it can be a hoss on elk with the right bullet too! After all...you have to at least "dream" of killing elk, even if it IS a long way from Florida to where they are at! smile Let us know what you settled on Pard, we are all rootin for you! smile

IC B3

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I grew up West of you on I-10, East, Tx and our deer were of similar size. I used the 30-06 a lot. I started out with Remington factory 150gr ptd Corlokt. kept my shots behind the shoulder, no wasted meat. ( That was a big thing with my dad) I later (late 70s) tried the Federal Red Box ( remember those?) with Sierra 165 SBT. They worked better for accuracy ( a jammomatic Mod 742) yet also never wasted meat on either deer or hogs. Can't never, no never ever go wrong with a 30-06, and it can be a hoss on elk with the right bullet too! After all...you have to at least "dream" of killing elk, even if it IS a long way from Florida to where they are at! smile Let us know what you settled on Pard, we are all rootin for you! smile

Thanks for your reply, that 30-06 is a beast and a very nice step up for my need, love my .243 but boy I think Alot about that 30-06.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well then....get that aught-6!

There isn't a critter in the USA that you can't kill with it. If you're not a realoader, no big deal. If you are, even better!

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Elliot
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight

Thanks for your reply, that 30-06 is a beast and a very nice step up for my need, love my .243 but boy I think Alot about that 30-06.

30-06 is loud and kicks quite a bit more. You'll have no doubt that you have made a big step up when you fire it.

A 270 or 308 is a more docile step up. But still a substantial step up. They're both more than adequate for most North American game.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I upgraded from my trusty 243 by buying it a new adjustable cheek piece stock, better scope, using great bullets, practicing a lot and putting aside money towards the barrel its going to need shortly.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by OttoG
putting aside money towards the barrel its going to need shortly.

How many bullets you have to shoot before u need a new barrel?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Thousands

Camp is where you make it.
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by tzone

Thousands

Ok I'm good, just got mine and shot about 120 round only. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Depends what your accuracy expectations are. 1500-2500 rounds is a realistic ballpark for a .243.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've toppled more deer with my older 30-30 Glenfield carbine than with anything else. I really like the short 18 inch barrel for hunting within forests and foothills of north Georgia. Accuracy with my Simmons 2-7X scope averages 2 inches at 100 yards.

Sherwood

Last edited by Sherwood; 01/24/20. Reason: spelling fixed

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Go pick up a Tikka in .308, go to Walmart and pick up some Federal blue box 150's or Remington corelock 150's and start dropping deer. I have been using a Browning Abolt Medallion 7mm mag for approx 32 years but lately shoulder issues limit my shooting of it anymore. After reading all the info on the out of the box accuracy of the Tikka, I picked one up. I ended up finding a deal on one with a few shots down the barrel so I picked it up. So now its ammo. Again, after tons of reading, over half kept coming back to the Fed blue box of Rem corelocks, bot in 150's. I settled on the Blue Box after they were shooting sub MOA at 100 yards. Most of my shots are 100 or less. I do however have a few places where I go where shots could be 400+. I haven't tried other rounds yet with better ballistics, but for over the counter ammo, its a shooter. Others have also used Hornady white tail 150's with great sub MOA accuracy.

My son's both have Rem 700's in 308 from Academy and they drive tacks with Corelock 150's as well. These can be bought for about $425 at academy. My Tikka T3 in stainless was about $600 if I remember. Also, .308 with factory ammo should just about have infinite barrel life.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by SDupontJr; 01/24/20.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.