Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by buffybr
I've used various leather and padded fabric slings for almost 50 years of Western and international hunting. They all want to slide off my shoulder.

Last week I went to the International Sportsmen's Expo in Denver and bought one of those thermoplastic rubber "Ultimate Slings" from Specialty Outdoor Products. So far, just walking around the house wearing several of my different hunting coats, there isn't any slippage on my shoulder.

If it works, it works. Folks have preferences.

Which is why I use the boonie packer/safari sling - it CAN be slung from one shoulder, but is best used cross chest. Handy if wearing a pack, or using your hands for climbing, walking sticks, and best of all, using binocs without having to put the rifle down, danger of shoulder slippage, etc. Nor does one have to take the sling off the shoulder to shoot.

3 moose back, I rounded a spruce to see a bull with his nose down in my back trail. Maybe- maybe- 3 seconds later he was on the ground. That included 3 ways of confirming his slot-limit size. Eyeballed, ear-length comparison, and brow tine configuration - the latter of which was in error, as he had a double set of tines

Ditto two moose back. Last moose was taken from my snow machine seat. Both of which were "antlered moose" - no slot limit.

On the snow machine or ATV, I carry the rifle slung (boonie packer) across my chest, rather than side or hip carried while packing or walking. Keeps it from getting beat up. Much. smile

PS edit: I have a couple leather military slings - very good for shooting supprt. Also several different models of other slings. All of them in a drawer.

I'm still thinking about this one, that came with the rifle, but It's probably going to be replaced with a boonie-packer also. Any one know what it is?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 01/15/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Levy's, Montana, and Vero Vellini all make some excellent slings that I use depending on conditions.
I have an old Bianchi cobra sling that has a pouch that I like when going far from home as there are always, always a couple of rounds kept in the pouch. Saved my bacon on a moose hunt many years ago.

Whatever works....

I tape a piece of a plastic cartridge holder to my butt stock, then lightly tape the rounds in as well to prevent loss. From experience. Depending on the cartridge, this is usually 4 or 5 rounds. Leave a tab on the tape securing the cartridges for quick access, if needed.

I have a shoulder sling (cheap one) with the pouch on it - never liked it- slips off the shoulder and the rounds rattle in the pouch. I have also used the elastic holders for the butt stock. They don't work well, and often lose cartridges. At least for me.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
I like the Boonie Packer Safari sling. I have 4 on various rifles.

I'll be trying that one.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I always wondered if spraying the clear version of this on the back of my slings would prevent them from slipping:

http://www.seymourpaint.com/product/good-grip-slip-resistant-coating/

I don't like to Quake Claw slings as they grip when I don't want them to such as when pulling them out of a gun boot.

M
MOA Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Quake Stalker with Hush swivels. Cheap and I can literally run with rifle slung-zero slip

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I tried the Butler Creek Mountain Nylon Sling that was recommended by Brad last year. Very pleased with this sling. Has a non slip facing that works and it's priced right.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Montana slings on near all walnut stocked blue rifles, I use Troys paracord slings on near all syn stocked, stainless/cerakoted rifles, a few uncle Mikes nylon and 9 strand braided Galcos in the mix.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana Sling for me in any weather or terrain. Very comfortable for a narrow sling. Doesn’t slide off and stays where I want it. Easily adjusted for length and you can’t beat the looks of nice leather.... Ol’ Porky even says they’re eye popping sexy laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used to always use Butler Creek Mountain slings and they are still a good option. The textured surface keeps them from slipping off the shoulder and they are very light. But since trying the Montana sling have used nothing else. The 1" Montana is only about 2 oz heavier than the nylon Mountain sling and if mounted on the rifle with the loop at the bottom you have the rough leather on your shoulder. It doesn't slide off. See photo above.

I know the sling is designed to have the loop at the top to use as a shooting sling, but having the rough side against my shoulder is more important to me.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To keep them from slipping get a frankenstud.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 01/17/20.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Safari Sling, similar to the Boonie Packer sling only better. Hands free when needed, can be controlled with a thumb and index finger, muzzle is always in view so a guy knows where it’s pointed, distributes the weight of the rifle across the shoulders and back, and when it comes time to make that quick shot on an elk in the timber it’s faster than carrying the rifle in one hand.

Been using them for almost 30 years now. A lot of people are skeptical until they hunt with me for a day or two. Most become converts.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm an eastern whitetail still hunter so my rifles don't wear slings. I keep a light, simple nylon sling in my coat that gets used while I'm dragging out game. When I hunt out west, my rifle is held on my pack with a Kuiu Quick Draw.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like my old Bucheimer. Is the slider type.
Clean and works great. Is on my 760 .35 rem

Still have my Bianchi suede Cobra bought new in 76.
Is on my CZ 455.

Also got an Andys leather.
It needs a Ruger #1A smile

Also have a Butler Creek neoprene for my 700 varmint rifle.

Bad neck, most times rifle is in hand. Rarely carry over shoulder. Sometimes use sling as shooting aid.

Proly a black Andys for the Steyr PH

Last edited by hookeye; 01/17/20.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
1907 pattern, Rhodesian pattern, and the USGI pattern canvas sling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quake Claw slings. I’ve tried a bunch of different slings but settled on this design. Basically indestructible, inexpensive and they don’t slip.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for all of the input. Ended up ordering a Montana.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Thanks for all of the input. Ended up ordering a Montana.

Do yourself a favor and get a Butler Creek Mountain Sling in addition to the Montana... for $15.99 you’ll not regret it.

https://www.amazon.com/Butler-Creek...eek+slings&qid=1579468097&sr=8-8

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tested the Butler Creek Mountain Sling this past fall.

It is the perfect companion to the FSK and I recomend this sling to everyone who wants a narrow lightweight non slip sling.

Before this past fall I had used the same 1" Dick Murray for twenty years.

I have zero use for a heavy or wide sling

[Linked Image from i165.photobucket.com]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.