Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have a Marlin 30-30 (my sons now I guess) and a Marlin .32 win special. The .32 was my grandpas and three generations of us have carried that rifle. Its filled the freezer countless times. No blueing to be seen. Around the action is completely polished from being carried. If my house was on fire I bet it would be in the top 3 things I would be running in to grab. Two years ago I won a Henry 45-70 at a NRA dinner. I immediately decided it would be my new fourwheeler/camp rifle. There is just something about it I dont like. I cant put my finger on it. It shoots well. The action is smooth. The recoil doesnt bother me at all. Its just not a Marlin. Anybody else feel the same way?

Last edited by Matty99669; 01/15/20.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

I've never been able to like a Henry. I've tried but just can't do it. They might be the most dependable, accurate , and well made rifle out there, but I just can't get over that kind of Ugly.

I'm glad that some people like them. Give me a Winchester, or a Marlin..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every Henry I’ve purchased had a crappy trigger and other problems requiring service. I’ve tried to like them too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like traditional lever guns such as the pre-1900 Marlin and Winchester designs. I even like the reproductions that are true to the design. I don't like anything Henry makes. They sorta, kind'a look like a traditional lever gun to most people. But they are not true to the original design. By all accounts they shoot fine. But I just don't care for them.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a Henry lever action .22 mag. that ain't bad but I'll stick with my Winchesters and Marlins for centerfires.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Henry`s just don`t look or feel right.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i won a nice looking Henry 22 but its a rougher action but my Marlin 39A is still a much smoother rifle and i feel built better too. myself i don`t buy Henry rifles if i buy new lever rifles i like Browning BLR rifles smooth,have a magazine/clip for bullets so bullet tips don`t get smashed and these BLR`s are very accurate too in this very strong action.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pete53
i won a nice looking Henry 22 but its a rougher action but my Marlin 39A is still a much smoother rifle and i feel built better too. myself i don`t buy Henry rifles if i buy new lever rifles i like Browning BLR rifles smooth,have a magazine/clip for bullets so bullet tips don`t get smashed and these BLR`s are very accurate too in this very strong action.
That's funny. Henry lever action .22's are known for their slick, smooth actions. My sons Henry .22 is smoother than my old Marlin 39 and it's more accurate to boot. My Henry .22 mag. is also very smooth.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
My Marlin is a sentimental favorite, but I like both Henry and Marlin.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Every Henry I see just has a blocky rectangular appearance to me.
The lines just dont seem to flow on em to my eye.
The High cut combs on the stocks just look strange to me.
The front sight shape being just a basic blocky square or rectangle dont look right to me.
And loading from a tube, even though they have come out with gate loading as of late is another minus in my mind.
More unneeded motions to reload it and parts to go wrong. JMO.
Brass receiver models.... No thanks.....

Not to offend you guys that like em.
But they are fuggly looking rifles. IMO....
And the price of em is rather high it seems.
Money waaaaay better spent on a classic solid VG condition or better Winchester or Marlin. IMO...

It's all personal preference. That really is what it boils down too.

Marlins and Winchesters are way better looking and ergonomically functional rifles than Henry,s

JMO...

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Few years ago I bought one of the Golden Boys in 44 Mag, it shot ok I guess, I just never liked it so I traded it off. It felt like a piece of lead pipe with a stock hooked to it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=renegade50]Every Henry I see just has a blocky rectangular appearance to me.
The lines just dont seem to flow on em to my eye.
The High cut combs on the stocks just look strange to me.
The front sight shape being just a basic blocky square or rectangle dont look right to me.
And loading from a tube, even though they have come out with gate loading as of late is another minus in my mind.
More unneeded motions to reload it and parts to go wrong. JMO.
Brass receiver models.... No thanks.....

Not to offend you guys that like em.
But they are fuggly looking rifles. IMO....
And the price of em is rather high it seems.
Money waaaaay better spent on a classic solid VG condition or better Winchester or Marlin. IMO...

It's all personal preference. That really is what it boils down too.

Marlins and Winchesters are way better looking and ergonomically functional rifles than Henry,s

JMO...

AGREED X2

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

A friend of mine has reason to know that Henry's customer service is really great. So they've got that going for them.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have two Golden Boy 22's. I like the brass look receivers and the actions are very smooth. The action is very similar to my Ithaca saddle gun. What I don't like about the Henry's is the stock has too much drop. Almost like you have to raise your cheek off the stock to get a proper sight picture.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 45_100
I have two Golden Boy 22's. I like the brass look receivers and the actions are very smooth. The action is very similar to my Ithaca saddle gun. What I don't like about the Henry's is the stock has too much drop. Almost like you have to raise your cheek off the stock to get a proper sight picture.

From a letter my brother got from Henry's owner his dad designed the action for the Ithaca. My brother inherited our Dads Ithaca that he bought ~ 45 years ago.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

From a letter my brother got from Henry's owner his dad designed the action for the Ithaca. My brother inherited our Dads Ithaca that he bought ~ 45 years ago.
The Ithaca 72 saddlegun was essentially identical to the standard Henry lever action .22's and .22 magnums of today. The Ithaca 72 was made by Erma in West Germany. Anthony Imperato's { CEO of Henry} father sold the design to Erma and over the years the Erma manufactured gun was imported and sold by Ithaca, Iver Johnson and Erma.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The standard Henry .22 and .22 magnum stocks have much less drop than the golden boys.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

A friend of mine has reason to know that Henry's customer service is really great. So they've got that going for them.

I had a henry .22 mag with an ejection issue right out of the box. I will say Henry's customer service was top notch.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I wanted a lever in .32 H&R or .327fed.

Marlin's 1894CB in .32 H&R goes for more than $1,200 - if you can find one.

I bought a Henry carbine in .327fed for $674 plus tax etc.

There was no choice for me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd buy a Henry lever 22 mag because it's really the only thing goin, other than the hard to come by discontinued models. And while I don't think it competes with a 9422M, I might like it better for a usin rifle than the Marlin 22 magnum with it's fat 1894 receiver.

The Henry rimfires are slender and lightweight with a slick action. But with their cast receiver and sheet metal cover, along with a plastic part here and there, and the unusual finish on the wood and metal, I don't think they're in the same class of heirloom type rifles as many of the Marlin and Winchester lever actions. A regular Henry lever 22 couldn't replace my 39M.

Mostly I like the classy, solid, workman-like Marlin centerfire lever actions, along with the Winchester 92 which looks right handy. And like pete53, I'd rock a BLR. Old Winchesters are cool for collectors. Henry... if I won a raffle I surely wouldn't turn it down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.