Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Just more stuff to carry.
That
LOL.

There's not a tree or a fencepost handy every time I shoot...

How about you guys?

How's your offhand shooting at say... 200 yards? grin
Club champion 5 years running. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hanco
Just more stuff to carry.
That
LOL.

There's not a tree or a fencepost handy every time I shoot...

How about you guys?

How's your offhand shooting at say... 200 yards? grin
Club champion 5 years running. laugh

Yeah, I've BTDT too. Targets.

But you shoot animals at random ranges offhand?

I find a few gutshot deer a year.

Maybe they wouldn't be if the hunter used a proper rest...?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get what you are saying. I'm just jerking your chain. smile And I do usually hunt in the woods.

I do take a rest if I can or go down into sitting if I'm not already there. I love sitting, it is almost as accurate as prone but gets you above most of the weeds. And it's usually all the stability you need for typical hunting ranges (<=200) and typical targets. I have taken standing shots at deer, but it better be a sure thing for me to do that. I respect the animal.

What I despise is dragging a deer and a bunch of other stuff out of the woods. The deer is enough! smile

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just bought this. Appears to be better built. We shall see.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Takman
Just bought this. Appears to be better built. We shall see.

You'll like it!

If you don't, let me know, as I need a second one... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I found shooting sticks to be wonderful if one is hunting statues.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I found shooting sticks to be wonderful if one is hunting statues.

I dunno.

I'd kill hundreds of of coyotes each year using shooting sticks.

They weren't standing too still most of the time. grin

Here's one a shotgunner missed twice, but I took out as he was in overdrive... Shotgunner wasn't using shooting sticks, but I was, with the rifle.

You can see how easily I reposition my shooting sticks to hit the running coyote. (Nice meat report on the soundtrack as that V-Max hits the coyote too smile )

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huh. I've always just used a couple dowels from the hardware store and a piece of string. Never broke it, but it's cheap to replace.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Rockinbbar

I have the big death grip carbon as well. Bought for my kids hunting out of towers and blinds. Find myself using it a lot as well. Like it very much

I’m sure there is a lot better on the market for 3 times as much, but for the price you can find the bog death grip I doubt it is easily beat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Rockinbbar

I have the big death grip carbon as well. Bought for my kids hunting out of towers and blinds. Find myself using it a lot as well. Like it very much

I’m sure there is a lot better on the market for 3 times as much, but for the price you can find the bog death grip I doubt it is easily beat.

Yessir.

I don't feel too good about paying $600 for a hunting tripod... wink

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/colle...ripod-reaper-rail?variant=29213549658186

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I hunt predators year round and always carry Vanguard sticks and a Crazy Creek or Helinox seat. Total weight is about 3 lbs. Easy, comfortable and steady and the sticks move easily and are adjustable so excellent on hillsides. Prone is rarely practical where I hunt.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used trekking poles as seated shooting sticks since 2007. Works pretty good.

In April 2019, my African outfitter used Promos Trigger sticks tripods for standing.. Seemed durable enough to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are not alone... I don't buy anything Primos..Been burned by their junk before.. Not again...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Trigger sticks are garbage.

Yes....the cheesey glue joint fails all the time.

They are really handy though!

Same thing on mine. Fortunately, a notable member here gave them to me to try, so I was out nothing. I sure wouldn't buy their products anymore, either. A rifle rest Lead Sled clone of theirs is poorly designed and can't be steadied enough to be of any value.

Primos is Scammos...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Deeply disappointed" by a shooting stick. Still having trouble wrapping my head around that. Maybe the OP leads a charmed life because where I'm from losing your spouse to cancer or your kid in a car crash falls into that category.

Not trying to be sarcastic (for once), just don't see shooting sticks generating this level of angst.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
"Deeply disappointed" by a shooting stick. Still having trouble wrapping my head around that. Maybe the OP leads a charmed life because where I'm from losing your spouse to cancer or your kid in a car crash falls into that category.

Not trying to be sarcastic (for once), just don't see shooting sticks generating this level of angst.

I didn't see where he likened anything to cancer or car deaths.

But when companies are selling cheap Chinee chit for premium money, then refuse to honor warranty on said Chinee chit, it SHOULD be a reason to have concern.

Especially when it's hunters and shooters that make up the bulk of their sales.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
For several decades I have used is a single staff, my height, with a padded fork at the top. I carve them out of straight birch saplings, making them roughly (in both senses) 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter for a nice relaxed grip that fits my hand. One of the readers here dubbed it a "Moses staff". smile.

It's primary use is for walking on rough terrain, usually wearing a backpack, but I often also use it as a binocular rest, and have shot game off it several times. I have those things scattered all over the place up here, but since I painted the upper half of the last one I made neon orange, I've been using that one for about 15 years now. Catches the eye when I leave somewhere,...

About 5 years ago I bought a regular Bog Pod (pre Death Grip) , which works well for what it is designed for, but not so much as a walking aid. I think I have used it more for glassing than shooting, tho.....

I had to replace something or other on it., and the service was excellent. I don't remember if I was charged for the part(s) or not. I bought a camera adaptor/handle for it, but haven't yet field -used it. That adapter is right heavy - unlikely I'll go alpining with that part, unless it is solely a photo op.

Last edited by las; 01/16/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Huh. I've always just used a couple dowels from the hardware store and a piece of string. Never broke it, but it's cheap to replace.

It really is this simple.

LOL
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I get what you are saying. I'm just jerking your chain. smile And I do usually hunt in the woods.

I do take a rest if I can or go down into sitting if I'm not already there. I love sitting, it is almost as accurate as prone but gets you above most of the weeds. And it's usually all the stability you need for typical hunting ranges (<=200) and typical targets. I have taken standing shots at deer, but it better be a sure thing for me to do that. I respect the animal.

What I despise is dragging a deer and a bunch of other stuff out of the woods. The deer is enough! smile

Situations differ. Try dragging a 1200 lb moose out of the woods. A sturdy walking staff or trekking pole(s) is likely to save one from a blown out knee while packing out a 90-110 lb hind - and I've done it both ways up to a mile and a half, That rehab is a bitch, tho truth to tell, that one was a 100lbs of caribou - 8 miles.

Thank God I got old......not any smarter, just old..... smile

Last edited by las; 01/16/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My $100 plus Primos shooting sticks lasted 1 hunt. The next time I went to use them they are froze up. POS!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.