Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We might be pushing it a bit- late September, early October. Spending a few days with wife's cousin, Les, who lives in Columbia Falls, I think.

Last time they got together, they went hiking on one of the mountain trails and were followed for a mile or so by a Griz. Wife had forgotten her bear spray in the car, Les had never investigated how to use his.... they got to a stone trail cabin and the door was locked. The bear got to 150 yards or so and decided they were no longer interesting and turned off.

It may have been the Dachshund....
I don't care what they say. I'm packing something heavier than spray if we go hiking. Just in case the current Dachshund wants to start something..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by JeffA

BTW, how old are the kids. I'm working up a list of options, ages would be helpful.

22 and 20. Males, athletic as can be.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JeffA, Camping is not likely at all, We love to camp, but not on this trip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
While one is at it, anyone bothered to fish around/in Glacier? I never feel like I've been on vacation if I can't get in one or two days of angling each week.

The Southwest end of Bowman lake where the shallow green water ends and the deep water begins you can catch cutthroats on small Rapalas, spinners and spoons.

Last edited by irfubar; 01/16/20.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
While one is at it, anyone bothered to fish around/in Glacier? I never feel like I've been on vacation if I can't get in one or two days of angling each week.

You and I both need answers on this........

IC B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If I knew if you considered camping an option my recommendations would be quite different.

If your flight arrives later in the day you could stay in town the first night just to get started.
https://kalispellgrand.com is about a affordable as it gets for anything decent and it's in the middle of town.
You can walk to outdoor shops and restaurants and the like, one of the hiking shops right there on main would have the bear spray you'll want to pick-up.

Glacier Park can really suck due to crowding, it's a day trip, make the run and get it over with, the surrounding area offers so much more.
Lunch or dinner at Lake Mcdonald Lodge ( https://www.usparklodging.com/glacier/lakemcdonald.php ) would serve you well on the way in or out.. The hotel rates just don't measure up to what it takes to deal with the congestion of the park.

We all have our favorites, I have a few.

The https://izaakwaltoninn.com is at the top of my list. It's on the southern end just across the border from the Park.
It's slower there, a good spot to start and end you park day tour, you can make the loop from east to west through the park and the Izaak Walton will be in the middle.
Be aware, there is going to be big time road construction on the parks east side for the next two summers.
It's a federal government project, stand by for disastrous traffic conditions.

Great food, nice little bar, and plenty of impeccably maintained restored historic value. There is nothing else in the immediate vicinity except an amazing river, the Goat Lick and a few hiking trails. You're in the river drainage so everything is uphill from there and steep when it comes to hikes.
It's a Cross Country ski lodge, that's their mainstay so summers are just slow for them..

Now for some hiking....

Hungry Horse Reservoir, this is another slow, outta the way location that'll be tourist free. It's the locals playground... there is 170 miles of shoreline with 110 miles of road that loops around it. This is also on the southern boarder of the park.

Check your rental car agreement to be sure these back country areas I mention are not forbidden, all those cars have GPS locators on them, they'll know where you've been....

Places like this are the real real Western Montana. If you're camping, it's all for free.
For hiking, fishing, camping and even hunting, it's all there. look at the maps, do your research and you'll be overwhelmed with the opportunities this area has to offer.

I could pinpoint some great camping areas, there are developed spots with fees but you're in a national forest, you can camp anywhere you like for free other than their developed locations.

There are a couple lodges that you can book into there.

They are both good but funny..http://www.spottedbear.com gets great reviews but it's gonna be spendy.

Then there is the https://www.diamondrranch.com . This one is more intriguing, they don't know how to advertise, never have.
I've seen them written up as "one of Montanas best kept secrets" that's not what I'd want my place of business to be know for.

I suppose that's why they are always slow, nobody knows they are there..
The place is for sale, maybe they've just lost interest but whatever it is makes for a quite slow and more than tranquil layover.

They have these cool little cabins, this is the view off a back deck..
[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

That's the Spotted Bear river they are sitting on, great fishing, amazing hiking trails yada yada.. You can book a horse trip to one of nearby mountain lakes even.. They have good food, but don't go looking for normal conveniences....like electricity, they ain't got none... I think you could negotiate a family rate with them but getting one of the cabins overlooking the river is a must.

Now for along the western border of the park...

Like the southern park border where the Middle Fork of the Flathead river defines it, the North Fork of the Flathead defines the parks western border.

There's another road...check car rental agreement...it follows the river all the way to the Canadian border.

Up the Northfork road much like Hungry Horse, you're in a National Forest looking across the river at the Park.
This is where you'll find the iconic Polebridge Mercantile OMG what a bakery..
You gotta stop there, hell they have rooms too..Even Bristoe went there, but they kicked him out...

I had drinks in the Norther Lights Saloon next door last summer, they have a little food there as well.

There is a little buzz of tourist right there being it's so well known but it's the gateway to the remotest region of the park if you just insist on hiking there.......rental agreement....it's not a paved road in the park there either.
This is where you'd find access to the remote Kintla and Bowman Lakes. You can drive there but I just can't recommend the camping.
Yeah, it'll be slower on this side of the park but the park is where you have more negative interactions with bears.

I don't care what anyone tells ya.
Grizzlies have killed eight people in Glacier, bears, both black and grizzly, have injured about 100 more people.
I've camped and hunted all around that park with little incident but you'd never catch me camping in that park, I don't even like to hike there because of the conditioned bears. Too many people in one spot mixing and mingling around these bears make for bears you're gonna have trouble with...

Now where was I.......did I mention Polebridge Merc's bakery? It's amazing.....

Oh yeah, the North Fork road...I can only assume you're looking at the maps if you are serious about this trip.
Look west of the North Fork Road.
All those drainage have a host of hiking trails and of course free camping because we own the land, it's National Forest.

This is another playground for locals..

>>>>>>> More later if requested....

Outstanding post, thanks for the time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Oh yeah....Rainbows, Cut's, Lakers, Pike, Perch, even the Bull Trout are making a come back on the Lower end of Hungry Horse Reservoir. I was fly casting there for Cut's this past fall and saw a few Bull's but everyone I spoke to seemed to have a Bull Trout story to tell.

That's Lake McDonald in the park right here..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lakers are the thing there..

Here is what we see outside the park for Lakers

Again, outside the park...but nearby.

Originally Posted by Kenneth
JeffA, Camping is not likely at all, We love to camp, but not on this trip.

Gotcha....

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've made two phone calls for lodging, it appears there are some limited availability throughout in the actual park...( I think).....

Apgar village lodge.
Glacier Park Lodge.
Saint Marys village(?)
Saint Marys glacier cabins.

Now, due to timing, I can not commit to actual dates just yet, in the event the park lodging fills in the next 2 weeks, It appears there is lots of VRBO and such in the near vicinity. I'm not going to panic or book just yet.

This came together yesterday rather quickly and I have little research into it at this point,

However, seeing just the few pictures posted here,

It's on! We be going to GNP in late June or likely early July....

Appreciate everyone's advice, and feel free to keep it coming.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Again, outside the park...but nearby.

Gotcha....

Oh Hell ya....

Just tell me where and how......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, where was I.....oh yeah, I was babbling about the North Fork of the Flathead river along the Parks western boundary.

Did I mention the bakery at Pole Bridge Merc? It's pretty good, lot of carb's to fuel a hikers day..

If you make it there, you can keep heading north until you get to Red Meadow Creek road then turn west.
This can make the drive a loop eventually bringing you back to town, check your maps and it's obvious as to how to make that happen. I found the roads to be in great condition just a few months ago.
Once you make it to the top of Red Meadow there is this really nice little lake..

We hiked up to the top of the mountain behind the lake and this is what we saw......

See, ya don't have to be in the Park to find spectacular views. The park just has more people...

After I complete this North Fork/Red Meadow loop drive, I end up in Whitefish..

This is where the real food and bars are at, I stay at the Lodge at Whitefish Lake I can already hear it, everybody hates Whitefish. Well TFB, the lodge is nice, there is Elk Tenderloin on the menu in the restaurant, the rooms are grand, and there is a guide waiting at the dock to take me out chasing Lakers, you just can't get that everywhere..If you book a morning fishing trip, request Josh as your guide, tell him some crazy fool from Alaska told you to ask for him and then go into a rant about why you don't tip guides, he'll love ya for it.....

I'm hearin' you on the VBRO option and think it'd be the better choice being there are 4 of you. There are a few good ones around but be aware, this entire area gets busy in July and it is going to book up, get committed to some dates as soon as you can, the good ones get booked first.

Oh yeah, if it's your kinda thing, there are many raft companies offering trips on all three forks of the Flathead River.
If ya never done it maybe you should give it a try..

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kenneth, you should just hire Jeff.

As for grizzly bears, they're smart and pretty much adapted to hiding from people. Only if surprised in close quarters do they freak out, or during hunting season when they want to fight for your gutpile. Forest Service guy was killed mountain biking a couple of years ago, he downhilled right into an unknown bear. So the thing is to be alert, especially when things get thick. Make a little noise and their super-hearing will pick it up.

Biggest scare I ever had was in some brush along the Middle Fork, I was photographing trains, hiking for an angle and I locked eyes with a big bear that was just watching me. I said a cuss word, kept walking while looking off to the side of the bear until we couldn't see each other any more. You know that cold rush? Yep, I had one. Coming back down I jangled my keys enthusiastically, and there it was, a new pile of poo right on the trail.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

It may have been the Dachshund....
I don't care what they say. I'm packing something heavier than spray if we go hiking. Just in case the current Dachshund wants to start something..... smile

I pity the bear that dares to anger that dog!!
smile

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The rafting trip is a go also,

any one better than the others?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great info. I’m driving out in the spring. Going to spend a couple months hanging around, trying to kill a spring bear, looking for a house, hiking, camping and just enjoying myself.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
At this time it looks like non-stop flights from ORD to Kalispell are available, and reasonably priced.... Time to melt some plastic........

Rental car, any car, or truck type vehicle needed?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think any SUV would do you fine on all the back roads I mentioned.

I use to support Great Norther Raft Co. but too much times gone by, I'd have to check current reviews and go with who seems to be on top. Glacier Raft can be good too but all those guides jump from one outfit to the other and your trip will be at the mercy of the guide you end up with. Just stick with any of the larger outfits and you'll do OK.

On the fishing, I'll get back with you.
I'm trying to balance between this thread and the one I started in the Alaska forum and I'm busy drumming up another post to entertain those guys, they are demanding...I've had company in and out all day to boot......

hunter4623,
For spring bear, those roads around Hungry Horse Res. and the North Fork road can be good, Thompson River road west of Kalispell on Hwy. 2 can be productive as well.
All three provide free camping and decent fishing, there are Brown Trout in Thompson River....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the tip Jeff

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hopefully they pass the measure that limits the rafts on the NF and permits are required. It's been mighty crowded.

MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Kenneth
If I recall, huge advice on the fact that Browning was the coolest place of all to stay..............

You're joking, right?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Honestly, if a family vacation is what you're after forget the NF. Just like Yellowstone, there is a reason that specific ground was designated special enough for a park. Yeah the surrounding area is cool, but the park is badass. And it's set up with bathrooms, rest stops, etc. If you spend all your time driving around in pine forests on dirt roads trying to find this lake, or that lake, you can probably do that in WI. And the roads are not to be taken for granted.

Enjoy your trip, it's a beautiful piece of America.

MAGA
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 44 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.