Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
There are 3 rifle ranges within 65 miles of here and i've realised i can't do load development and find an accurate load at any of them due too gunrange goofs .
All three ranges have the shooting benches all one piece 2 have the seats connected to the benches , so everytime someone next to you shoots or moves it shakes your crosshair. I've given them the name ''ammo-wasters'' they come to the 100 yards range and fire a shot about every two seconds using one of the pieces of treated 4x4 wood as a rest or shooting off their elbows . Never shooting a group inside of 7-10-20'' just bang bang bang . When they leave another one takes their place with his ak-sks-ar handfull of russian ammo . They need to let them shoot at the Dump for free so the rest of us can sight in a gun .
I've been trying to work up loads on some [should be] accurate rifles and have made no progress in a few years thanks to the goofs .

Myself and two other guys spoke with the Bay County shooting range about it - they're discussing how to go about the problem - we were not the first to mention this by a long shot according to them . So maybe after many wasted rounds by me because of the goofs i can get a 6.5x47 L shooting inside of 1.5'' --LAF .
Was looking over my group data this evening and got riled up when realising how long this has been going on .
I've had to leave to range many times when the goofs surround me , you can't talk nice to them and get them to show a small amount of consideration . 130 mile round trip drive and $10 range fee down the drain .

You folks living out west or people with a quiet [goofless] range have it made - here in craphole florida it sucks .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's crazy that you don't have a bench to yourself.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Google U-Haul

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
There are 3 rifle ranges within 65 miles of here and i've realised i can't do load development and find an accurate load at any of them due too gunrange goofs .
All three ranges have the shooting benches all one piece 2 have the seats connected to the benches , so everytime someone next to you shoots or moves it shakes your crosshair. I've given them the name ''ammo-wasters'' they come to the 100 yards range and fire a shot about every two seconds using one of the pieces of treated 4x4 wood as a rest or shooting off their elbows . Never shooting a group inside of 7-10-20'' just bang bang bang . When they leave another one takes their place with his ak-sks-ar handfull of russian ammo . They need to let them shoot at the Dump for free so the rest of us can sight in a gun .
I've been trying to work up loads on some [should be] accurate rifles and have made no progress in a few years thanks to the goofs .

Myself and two other guys spoke with the Bay County shooting range about it - they're discussing how to go about the problem - we were not the first to mention this by a long shot according to them . So maybe after many wasted rounds by me because of the goofs i can get a 6.5x47 L shooting inside of 1.5'' --LAF .
Was looking over my group data this evening and got riled up when realising how long this has been going on .
I've had to leave to range many times when the goofs surround me , you can't talk nice to them and get them to show a small amount of consideration . 130 mile round trip drive and $10 range fee down the drain .

You folks living out west or people with a quiet [goofless] range have it made - here in craphole florida it sucks .

My condolences man. I cant imagine living in a place where i couldnt run out to the national forest or blm land with my portable bench and shoot as long as my heart is content. Shooting without interruption is really needed for shooting precise groups and working up loads. I feel for you. I can relate though. I went to my range the other day and it was chit poor weather. I thought no one would be there, but I was wrong. There were 5 guys under the covered rifle range and they were all standing up shooting their AR's. They littered the concrete slab with brass and left a mess. I was at the pistol range:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Shooting some of the steel targets that I made. Waited until about 45 minutes before dark and then the bozo's left the rifle range. Then I got my chit thrown in the back of my Tacoma and headed over to the rifle range to shoot my new 22lr target rifle:

In some of these pics, you can see the brass laying on the cement slab under the benches. Usually we keep that chit swept up, but these morons don't give a chit... They were the types that pull the trigger about every half second but rarely hit what they were aiming at......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I feel your pain.

IMO, too many ranges are designed by boards or well intended folks who may like guns, support the Second, etc., but don't know much about shooting.

Most of us are a combination of gun nut and shooter, but there is a difference and too many lean disproportionately to the gun nut side, more gun nut than shooter.

JMO

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Last time I went to the range a guy got a saboted bullet stuck half way down in his front stuffer and was throwing a fit. Other than that it was peaceful enough.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My club range is pretty good but it goes get pretty crowded on Saturday’s. Each shooter has his own bench, but with the prevalence of fas guns, plenty of times empty brass is being flung all over the place.

My solution was to rearrange my work schedule so that once a moth I swap one of our off Fridays for a Wednesday. The range is deserted on Wednesday afternoons smile

Obviously this nay not be an option for everyone, but if possible tryi. To give yourself an occasional weekday at the range can be extremely helpful. I have no problem setting up the chrono, going cold when o want to swap targets, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fortunately, our range is on the farm. One bench. 100, 200 and 300 yards. No goofs.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Same here, I had a girl with me at the range.
Not being cute but she was well endowed,
The twins were substantial, and as you can imagine,
She was out to impress, and me being me, I had no qualms.
Til one of the semi auto Phux landed some hot brass down
Her shirt. Damn brass branded her. I was pissed,
It’s not a new problem for me, if you go to the range, you need to be responsible for where and in what direction your brass gets spent, I am occupied shooting groups so when your hot brass comes at me, it shouldn’t be a surprise when I come have words with you.

So this guy proceeds to tell me, “it’s a gun range, your gonna get hit with hot brass!! Get over it,”

So yeah, that didn’t go to well..
I won’t post what I said, but to be sure I made it clear I didn’t see things that way.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Your own bench - how nice that would be . .

scottbrad google steelheads a dork - don't get mad though -laf.

The bench designs suck at all of the ranges .
crestview shoal river - falling apart - run down bad .
argyle bullets and bones seat height horrible since they poured a slab .
bay county range [right by my hunting lease] stupid design on benches connected as mentioned , small narrow part where your rear elbow goes is very narrow - then portion where front rest would go is way too short . Sit in the ''corner'' of bench - your rest has to be under bottom metal of rifle - then rear bag xx anyway you have to turn sideways to sit at bench you cannot sit straight squared up with target .My plan is to take a wide board to the range and clamp it to their crap to add about 2' of length .
We can now shoot from the ground at the 300yd. range [no goofs rocking the boat] but it's dead flat and you'll be shooting through weeds which might not be the best way for load development - laf.
For years it was out of the question to walk down and place a target at the STEEL SHOOTING RANGE - not allowed to paint a spot or anything you just hit the huge life size buffalo at 200 yards , 300yds. big pig/turkey/coyote/deer steel so close they were all one target and pat yourself on the back - laf . To ''qualify'' to shoot at the 300 yard range you had to be able to hit a sheet of notebook paper five times at 100yds. - you could try as many times as you wanted - true! . Many have failed time and again i'm told .
Paul39 ,
I spoke with the top guy in tallahassee a few years ago and got the 17mach 2 legal on public land - he'd never even heard of it . smile
Emailed him about the silliness of this range - it's much better than it was a few years ago .

I went monday before Christmas hadn't been in 3 years still sucks but not as bad as it use to . I sneek and shoot at my lease at night 3 bright led lights shined on a target .
Closed tues/wed. no midweek slow times .

Last edited by ol_mike; 01/16/20.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ive seen guys trying to sight in rifles shooting off hand.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jericho
Ive seen guys trying to sight in rifles shooting off hand.

My uncle - then bumps sights with a hammer , he's a coon hunter - he can go through a box of ammo getting a coon shot out of a tree .

Posted by Bristoe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have also seen scopes mounted backwards on a rifle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought about prone?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Higbean
Thought about prone?

That's what i'll be doing if i ever get load development finished to my satisfaction .
In the summer -which is 9 months long here- they don't mow enough - seen weeds/grass nearly high enough to mess with bench shooting . Maybe they'd let me shoot from the side berm ?

I've got to move back to Idaho ! smile might very well do that .....

Jericho -- no way . . . . smile

Posted by Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have also seen scopes mounted backwards on a rifle

Wow...

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ol_mike

My condolences man. I cant imagine living in a place where i couldnt run out to the national forest or blm land with my portable bench and shoot as long as my heart is content. Shooting without interruption is really needed for shooting precise groups and working up loads. I feel for you. I can relate though. I went to my range the other day and it was chit poor weather. I thought no one would be there, but I was wrong. There were 5 guys under the covered rifle range and they were all standing up shooting their AR's. They littered the concrete slab with brass and left a mess. I was at the pistol range:
Shooting some of the steel targets that I made. Waited until about 45 minutes before dark and then the bozo's left the rifle range. Then I got my chit thrown in the back of my Tacoma and headed over to the rifle range to shoot my new 22lr target rifle:

In some of these pics, you can see the brass laying on the cement slab under the benches. Usually we keep that chit swept up, but these morons don't give a chit... They were the types that pull the trigger about every half second but rarely hit what they were aiming at......

What’s even better you can be set up clear in the other side and here they come saddle up next to you.. the range I belong too after 1600 members only so that’s a plus, Monday and Tuesday members only.. we have a public range here in the valley public use, but you need to be packing up by high noon.. that’s when the AR boys show up.. I usually end up being that guy telling everyone to read the rules of the range. Because never ph ucking fails idiots handling firearms while folks are downrange checking targets..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At the range in Colorado, fella with his ol lady he was trying to
Sight his rifle in, so he has this pillow for a rest. He gets the chair and kneels in it not sitting, but kneeling on his knees in it. He’s using the pillow to pad his elbows. So he shoots, and that’s when the blood started pouring from his head., He scoped himself real good..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For a while, I used to use a public state owned range. It was free....conveiniant a few miles from the house...benches were nice enough.

It was often a war zone. Despite a 5 round loading limit, no rapid fire etc...guys would burn through a box of 20 high power rifle rounds in a couple minutes.

My favorite thing to do was glass other guys targets while I waited for a barrel to cool. Made me feel not so safe sharing the woods with them....and made me feel like the deer were likely safe. I couldn't believe how poorly the "average" guy shoots. I never thought holding a group with a scoped rifle at 100yds off a bench was that big of a deal....but 00 buck patterns better than many of those guys.

The whole cease fire going down range crap got ridiculous. They'd either do it every 3 minutes or go forever. I learned to put up a number of targets and plan to sit there till I was done.

Now I'm pretty fortunate. I have 2 clubs within 2 miles of the house. I can step outside and take a listen and see if the ranges are occupied lol. I'm a member of one. I am going to join the other this year as well...buddy said they have a really nice setup and a lot of steel and longer ranges than my current club. And will give me another option if one is busy or closed...ran into that last year...someone booked it for a wedding or something and I was working on a flintlock turkey gun.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The volume shooters are kind of annoying but I don't normally mind them too bad, because they leave a ton of brass for me to snag. Until they start doing mag dumps with a braked rifle anyway.

I don't rag on them much, they have as much right to be there as I do. Like it or not, those young mag dumper AR and AK guys are the future guardians of the 2nd Amendment. I'm glad to have them on my side. The more of them the better.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222Sako, 57 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.